Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Article: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Marco SolorioArticle: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 19, 2012 at 5:07:47 am

DSLR Video
Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?

Marco Solorio of OneRiver Media dissects Blackmagic Design's new Cinema Camera to see if it is in fact, the much-anticipated HDSLR-killer everyone's been waiting for over the years. But with a comparatively smaller sensor size and radical body design, does it fit the bill as the killer we all want?

Review, Feature   04/18/2012
Author: Marco Solorio

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+3

Barend OnneweerRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 19, 2012 at 6:04:58 am

I just wish the mount was shorter to allow for 16mm cine lenses...

Raamw3rk - independent colourist and visual effects artist

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave HaynieRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 20, 2012 at 9:12:48 pm

Yeah, really. With the smaller sensor, it's not logically a great mate to Canon lenses. Sure, they're chasing the 5D market, but they're also not a camera company. So why not launch it with a lens "interposer" module, so you could choose your mount. EF, PL, m43... there are good arguments to make here for a variety of mounts.

The need for this could vanish if the HDSLR people didn't keep playing insane games. Assuming the video quality is on par with Canon, the main reason I'd want this (and right now, I kind of do, but I'm not sure enough to buy) is the long recording time, versus the much higher prices for HSDLR-tech-camcorders from actual camcorder companies. And why? Long recording times.

That's the most annoying thing about the HDSLR world. Sure, in the early days, the recording time had to be limited due to sensor heat. I don't believe that's a real issue anymore. The excuse today is Europe -- they levy a tax on camcorders, and a camcorder is defined as a video recording device that can record over 30 minutes of video in one shot.

But guys ... I don't live in Europe. No reason you can't offer me different firmware (and yeah, there are plenty of ways to signature cameras and firmware to ensure that Europeans can't jump past this limitation). I think the real reason for this is some brokered deal between the video and still divisions of these companies. Otherwise, how does Canon get 3+x the cash for a C30 vs. a 5DmkIII.

So I love this, and the Digital Bolex, and every other company without the higher priced cinema camera line, pushing against HDSLR artificial limits using the same exact technology. Buy these, or wait for the big guys to feel the pressure, either way... we win.

-Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill Bruner@Dave Haynie
by on Apr 21, 2012 at 5:15:54 am

Dave - I agree 100% - that is why I ditched my Canon DSLR for a GH2. Not a perfect solution, but I got away from Sony/Canon/Nikon artificially imposed 29 minute video recording time limits. But I'm sure glad I held on to one EF-S lens - because I'll need it for the BlackMagic!

Cheers,
Bill

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave Haynie@Bill Bruner
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 8:27:02 am

I actually have the 60D, which I bought primarily for photography, but also to mess around with the HDSLR workflow. I also have an Olympus M43 "pocket" camera (E-PM1), several Panasonic camcorders, and I'm kind of thinking that Panasonic has the better approach in HSDLR video, even with the slightly smaller sensor.

The GH2 is particularly attractive, but mostly due to all the cool hacks. And of course, you can easily fit an EF lens on an M43 body... even if you can't directly control the aperture. Going the other way would require a magic trick (focal plane adjustment via lens... maybe), and give you lots of vignetting.

-Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Emmanuel Louisy-GabrielRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 23, 2012 at 11:17:57 am

[Dave Haynie] "But guys ... I don't live in Europe. No reason you can't offer me different firmware (and yeah, there are plenty of ways to signature cameras and firmware to ensure that Europeans can't jump past this limitation). I think the real reason for this is some brokered deal between the video and still divisions of these companies. Otherwise, how does Canon get 3+x the cash for a C30 vs. a 5DmkIII. "

you forget photographer why would they pay more for a video feature?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave Haynie@Emmanuel Louisy-Gabriel
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 8:22:00 am

They actually DO pay for some video features. While the video recording itself in a Canon 5D or whatever is just "a simple matter of software" (eg, there's an NRE in the development phase, but no on-going cost), there's going to be an AVC/H.264 license paid in the final price of the camera.

On the other hand, extending recording time to "unlimited" costs absolutely nothing, no significant development time, nothing. Unless you live in Europe and have to pay a tax, but that's a political thing, not a real cost. So why are buyers outside of the EU being sold lesser equipment, simply because of this tax? That's the problem I have.

And while I'd even be fine with their sticking to FAT32 and thus 4GB file limits, that's not a problem -- all flash based camcorders seamlessly chain files. It's not rocket science -- Canon's camcorder division already has the code. But they have ALREADY paid the Microsoft license fees for exFAT, since these cameras all support SDXC memory cards, which use exFAT. So there's actually no problem recording effectively unlimited video.

-Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Noah KadnerRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 2:54:07 am

FYI- for anyone interested you can check the BMD camera against various others for FOV on its sensor:

http://www.abelcine.com/fov/

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Malcolm MatuskyRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on May 11, 2012 at 5:41:51 pm

Interesting comparison, the BM camera seems closest to M43, yet that is a mount they don't offer? How strange.

Will not work with S16 lenses, too bad as there are many excellent zoom lenses available.

There are enough lenses (wide fast) for M43, so this does seem like a viable camera if they offer the correct mount.

M

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brent DunnRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on May 2, 2012 at 5:33:45 pm

It's another option, but the 5D Mk III is such a big improvement over the Mk II.

I'm waiting on Sony's new camera that'll shoot high speed and has a new sensor, for under 10 Grand.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alain Koffi SessiRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 19, 2012 at 1:57:32 pm

Awesome article. Thanks Marco.

Alain Koffi Sessi
Sound Designer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marco Solorio@Alain Koffi Sessi
by on Apr 21, 2012 at 4:51:56 am

Thank you for saying so, Alain!

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | ORM Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Media Batch

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim WilsonRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 19, 2012 at 5:33:09 pm

Fantastic overview, Marco! Thanks! I had a ton of questions and you answered all of them....then raised questions I hadn't thought of and answered THEM too!

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marco Solorio@Tim Wilson
by on Apr 21, 2012 at 4:52:48 am

Wow, thanks, Tim! Just don't ask me any questions about taxes and stuff... then we'd be in trouble!

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | ORM Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Media Batch

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jim FroomRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 20, 2012 at 1:07:12 am

I'm not sure what a DSL killer is, but I guess peeps like phrases like that. nitpicking.
5D Mark II has not been out for 3 years. It started shipping in the US the last week in November, that would be 2 years and 5 months. I remember the day I picked up the first one that came into our town. Nitpicking.

As to the rest of the article, I guess we all will have to wait till the real thing comes out. Ordered 1 yesterday as it looks very promising and having used Black Magic products in the past, I believe they will deliver something that works as promised. Can't wait for July!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marco Solorio@Jim Froom
by on Apr 21, 2012 at 4:57:02 am

Jim, you're incorrect. The Canon 5D Mk II has definitely been out for over three years now. The year in my article is actually incorrect. It should say, "late 2008" not "late 2009" but my reference to over three years is correct. I received my 5D Mk II directly from Canon and double-checked my email correspondence with them. November of 2008 is when it came out.

But I agree... I can't wait until I get my hands on this camera as well. Going to be a lot of fun!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jorden MosleyRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 20, 2012 at 1:52:46 am

I wouldn't say it's a "killer" but more of a step-up for Canon DSLR users. GH2 users like myself would have to invest in new class in order to upgrade to this thing which would double the overall cost. With such a crop factor you'd think this would be perfect for a m 4/3 mount. Impressive gear non the less and a no-brainer low budget option (if you already have the compatible glass).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marco Solorio@Jorden Mosley
by on Apr 21, 2012 at 5:01:03 am

Well I think for some, myself included, it's much of a step up... 13 stops DR, 12-bit RAW or 10-bit ProRes/DNxHD, on and on. DSLR with H.264 @ 8-bit 4:2:0 just can't compare to that quality.

As for Micro 4/3rds mount, it sounds like there are 4/3rd adapters to EF mount in the works. Time will tell.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jiggy Gaton Jiggy GatonRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 20, 2012 at 2:22:52 am

Really nice review Marco, thx!!!

Phoenix Studios Nepal: A small A/V Production House in Kathmandu.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marco Solorio@Jiggy Gaton Jiggy Gaton
by on Apr 21, 2012 at 5:01:34 am

Thanks for the nice comment, Jiggy!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ben RojasRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 20, 2012 at 3:48:27 am

Good read Marco. First glance, it's odd shaped toy-ish silver look turned me off. I chuckled and walked away. Day 2 of the show, even more people were clambering to see the cam. and I had to see what the fuss was about. The unconventionally large LCD and lack of viewfinder while intriguing, made me think that even with a hood, it would be hell shooting outside. The internal non-removable battery, ridiculous. But get past those things and holy moly cameraman!  BMD has def hit on a niche market that's going to bank them some big coin. IMO, the next version could very well be a DSLR killer but probably not this one.

Ben Rojas
Editor|Artist|Dir. of Post Production
KSC KREATE
3850 N 28th Ter. Ste. 101
Hollywood, FL. 33020
P. 954.326.7600
F. 954.326.7766
C. 305.301.2771
E. ben.rojas@ksckreate.com
http://www.ksckreate.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marco Solorio@Ben Rojas
by on Apr 21, 2012 at 5:04:50 am

Yeah, the internal battery issue isn't a hit. But lack of viewfinder is no different than HDSLR shooting. Either you'd need a loupe (might be kinda big for a 5" screen, but I'll bet they'll be made) or an EVF like Zacuto's offerings.

As for me, the silver casing of the Cinema Camera will be buried in rigging, so I'm not concerned about that! But that's just me! ;-)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill BrunerRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 20, 2012 at 3:58:27 pm

Well-balanced look at the BMC, Marco. Thanks. But the reason that I got on the waiting list for this camera is not mentioned until your "Verdict" section - dynamic range!

When I saw John Brawley's test footage, I was sold - the DR made it look like "film" - a look that I have had to work really hard for with the GH2 or my old Canon DSLR.

You're right - the camera is not perfect, but "videoish" it is not.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shawn MillerRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 20, 2012 at 5:53:45 pm

Nice overview, Marco. I am a little surprised at this statement though "Will it have razor-thin DOF like a 5D Mk III? Nope."

Won't DOF depend on apeture? I.E., a 50mm lens will have the same compression, DOF, ect. regardless of sensor size?

[Barend Onneweer]"I just wish the mount was shorter to allow for 16mm cine lenses..."

The BM sensor is larger than S16... wouldn't you get vignetting?

Shawn

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Barend Onneweer@Shawn Miller
by on Apr 20, 2012 at 6:04:28 pm

Hi Shawn,

Yes the DoF would be the same as any lens with the same aperture. But the crop factor makes that lens less wide than on a full frame chip. To get the same angle of view you'd need a much wider lens, resulting in less shallow DoF. So although you're technically correct, in practical terms for the same field of view (and same aperture) you'll have a shallower DoF on a bigger chip.

Some 16mm lenses won't cover the full sensor, but it would be nice to have the option to use them.

Barend

Raamw3rk - independent colourist and visual effects artist

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shawn MillerRe: @Shawn Miller
by on Apr 22, 2012 at 12:19:07 am

@Barend Onneweer

Thanks for the reply Barend. I didn't actually say anything about FoV...I'm aware that it will be more narrow with a smaller sensor. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

shur harewoodRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 20, 2012 at 10:49:48 pm

No doubt many filmmakers, may like to explore this as an option to use, those who shoot and edit their projects will definitely like the fact it comes with Resolve, Ultrascope and Thunderbolt, all definite pluses plus can be used with pro res, avid codec or DNG.

The compactness and price is very appealing, whether will shoot photographers turned DSLR video/filmmakers will be interesting as many of those are photography first and video second. But it may make a nice addition to equipment arsenal or good rental choice.

Shur

United By Photography

http://www.unitedbyphotography.com

Freelance HD and DSLR camera producer and trainer.
Enjoying the fruits and passion of living life to the full.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Terence KearnsRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 21, 2012 at 10:24:36 am

"Thirdly, the smaller sensor means you don't need as much resolving power for the lens itself, which in turn means a lower quality lens will look better on this camera than it would on something like a 5D Mk III."

I would have thought the opposite would be true as more pixels are being crammed into a smaller area of usage on the lens.
If there is an advantage, it would be only if you assumed that the given lens was sharper toward the centre.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ferenc Horvath@Terence Kearns
by on Apr 24, 2012 at 2:01:30 pm

Hi Terence,

earlier i made a calculation about the pixel density of the chip. This is what i get:

Resolution:
MKII 5.616 x 3.744 = 21.026.304
BMD 2.432 x 1.366 = 3.222.112

Size
35.80 x 23.90 = 856 mm²
15.81 x 8.88 = 140 mm²

Pixels devided by surface:
MKII 24563 pixels per mm²
BMD 23015 pixels per mm²

Sure, there are a lot of other things should be considered like line skipping in the MKII, the electronics behind the sensor (improvement of noise behaviour in the MKIII?) or the physical pixel size itself... but for me it looks good till now.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Terence Kearns@Ferenc Horvath
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 5:42:00 am

Interesting, but no substitute for actual sample footage files direct from the camera ... footage of real-life scenarios... I contributed to the purchase of the Panasonic AF100 and after a few months of usage it was clear that the MFT sensor was not up to scratch - great camera in ever OTHER way, but not good in low light (by today's standards). The sensor is important - photo site density is an issue, but it's far from the whole story. lots of factors, at the end of the day, you need to be happy with the job it does. I would never buy a camera at that price range based on specs alone (like I did with the AF100).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Ferenc Horvath@Terence Kearns
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 6:57:38 am

Same here, i don´t have money to burn so at least i wait for some non beta footage.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vassilis PitoulisRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 21, 2012 at 10:29:13 am

Is just fantastic that somebody make DSLR manufacturer start give something more after 3 years ! Let's see if they anderstend .....

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Terence KearnsRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 21, 2012 at 10:31:11 am

I like this camera, and will probably get it ... BUT FIRST, people need to take a cold shower and wait for the footage to come. No one who reviews this thing talks about sensor performance. We'll have to wait and see. I hope to God that the sensor is good and performs quite well in low light.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rafael Amador@Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 21, 2012 at 7:03:08 pm

Great article Marco. You touch every important point and i agree with your considerations.
From my point of view the smaller sensor brings only advantages to this camera. Not only makes easier the picture processing but wides the DOF making the camera more usable. Shallow DOF is just an historical shortcoming of filmcameras and for generations has been a pain in the ass of serious filmakers.
So, give me wide DOF that I know how to reduce it. Don´t give me shallow DOF because there is no way to increase it.

For my self this camera is not just the HDSLR killer; the BM shakes the film acquisition scene. From now on cameras manufacturers need to rethink their strategies.

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tristan Chaika@Rafael Amador
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 7:03:38 pm

You can stop the lens down to widen the depth of field. f/8 is way different from f/1.4, but if you have a camera where it is a deep depth of field all of the time, it really limits what you can do creatively, in my opinion.

That said, I have a GH2 and am really happy with the depth of filed control I have with fast lenses on that camera. One thing I'm really kind of blown away by, is the fact that Black Magic didn't make a micro4/3 mount for the Cinema Camera. The sensor is closer to that size, and you can adapt many many more types of lenses to m4/3 mount than to EF. That's the one point I disagree with Marco on. There are a lot of lenses you can adapt to EF, but stating "you could just about put any lens mount type on this camera" is a bit hyperbolic if you compare that mount to m4/3 or Sony E-mount, which really are adaptable to almost anything.

Plus, with m4/3 mounts, you have some reasonably priced fast wides that currently can't be used on the Cinema Camera.

I'm sure they sacrificed m4/3 so that they could actually talk to EF lenses and control aperture and auto-focus and such, through the LANC which is a really nice feature, but I'm undecided if sacrificing a plethora of good wide/fast/non-fisheye lens options was worth that trade.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

George E Kennedy  JrRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 22, 2012 at 12:51:25 am

Hey Marco, As a 7D owner and one of the thousands at NAB this pass week, I'm completely impress with the BMCC. Got my hands on it at a party it felt good to hold. I was on the verge of buying a 5D Mark III after NAB, but wanted to wait on announcements. I'm now going to pre order the BMCC, my contention in this crazy camera market is rent when I need a C300 etc. At $3,000 you can not loose with the included software plus SDI out , thunderbolt etc. It will make Canon and the rest rethink pricing and tech for future Cameras. I'm sure we will no longer see USB 2.0 in cameras in months to come.

George

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike SquiresRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 22, 2012 at 4:20:39 pm

Where are people finding test footage?

Also, it would be nice if there was a model with USB 3.0 instead of Thunderbolt, not all of us use Macs.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Peter J. DeCrescenzoRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:20:46 am

BmD Cinema Camera pre-release sample video footage and frame grabs are available for viewing on John Brawley's blog:
http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/

Thunderbolt will be available on new Windows PCs & laptops very soon.

---

http://www.peterdv.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Terence Kearns@Peter J. DeCrescenzo
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 6:16:49 am

Still couldn't find a link to any files that came direct from the camera. All that stuff has been recompressed though vimeo :/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave Haynie@Mike Squires
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 8:35:19 am

While I'd like to see USB3.0 as well (it's in both of my PCs), there are some advantages to Thunderbolt. Specifically, like ePCI from which it derives, and like Firewire, Thunderbolt is multi-mastered. So the camera can just send you video, it doesn't require the PC keep asking, as USB does. Not a huge deal given all the solid-state and "PC-like" storage anyway, but it's still good.

I think Thunderbolt has a chance of succeeding where Firewire really failed. A big part of that is who's involved... Apple came up with Firewire, and did pretty much everything you don't do when you're trying to establish an industry standard. As a result, they pushed the USB folks, lead by Intel, to release USB 2.0 to solve some of the same problems.

This time, Thunderbolt is from Intel. That's good for two main reasons. One is simple: Intel builds tons of chipsets. Thunderbolt will be in all of the new "Ivy Bridge" PCs coming out, starting this Spring. And of course, everyone else building chipsets copies what Intel does. So, <>, instant standard.

The other reason is that Intel typically licenses all patents for free, and spins control of the new standard off to an independent group for management. In short, Intel just wants to sell chips, and they've figured out long ago you don't build a new standard by asking $1.00 per port (Apple's original asking price for Firewire).

-Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim WilsonRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 23, 2012 at 2:57:18 pm

Also note that Thunderbolt adapters were among NAB's big stories. These will be plentiful and cheap very soon.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SuszkoRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 23, 2012 at 3:00:09 pm

Once it is encumbered with all the rails, matte boxes, French Flags, viewfinders, cages, auxiliary grips, hoods and eyepiece shades, focus whips and assorted "stuff" that turns it into another nod to the must-look-like-an-erector-set-to-be-pro aesthetic, people will flock to buy it. It has to look complicated to be good, right? Right?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Bill DavisRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 3:23:53 am

[Mark Suszko] "Once it is encumbered with all the rails, matte boxes, French Flags, viewfinders, cages, auxiliary grips, hoods and eyepiece shades, focus whips and assorted "stuff" that turns it into another nod to the must-look-like-an-erector-set-to-be-pro aesthetic, people will flock to buy it. It has to look complicated to be good, right? Right?"

I refer to these as "Tinker Toy" rigs.

Not dismissively - but in the sense that nearly all "rails" system are built on the same idea as the classic kids building system.

Standardized rods and connectors that you configure to taste.

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Jiggy Gaton Jiggy GatonRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 3:37:31 am

Not only are rigs good marketing for camera manufactures as u point out, but also good for client sales, well, at least here in Poserville Nepal. Our clients oogle my brother's rig and u can literally hear them thinking: "This is gunna be good, and worth the high price charged." Sad but true.

Phoenix Studios Nepal: A small A/V Production House in Kathmandu.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill DavisRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 3:31:59 am

[Mark Suszko] "Once it is encumbered with all the rails, matte boxes, French Flags, viewfinders, cages, auxiliary grips, hoods and eyepiece shades, focus whips and assorted "stuff" that turns it into another nod to the must-look-like-an-erector-set-to-be-pro aesthetic, people will flock to buy it. It has to look complicated to be good, right? Right?"

I refer to these as "Tinker Toy" rigs.

Not dismissively - but in the sense that nearly all "rails" system are built on the same idea as the classic kids building system.

Standardized rods and connectors that you configure to taste.

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rob ManningRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 23, 2012 at 10:57:37 pm

Marco, great walk through.

Picking around the nitish, the D800/D4 Nikons are missing from your sensor diagram, albeit ever so slightly smaller than the MK3, also, both of these devices will record 4.2.2 uncompressed which, if one is a stills/videographer as some freelancers and company owned gear shooters in the photojournalism, ENG, documentary realm are these days, that compromise is still a given.

The effort for 2K+ files is without peer from BMD, as noted above, the Nikon/Sony/Canon cabal, will either respond or be eclipsed.

Nikon has the least to lose, no parallel or vertical marketing actuarials to protect/cannibalize and as far as DR, the MK3 is not much improved over the MK2.

The D800 sits in the MF pocket and now smokes Nikons entire line, rhetorically, some of that has to be relevant in 2MP 1080 files which drive the business even with the giant workarounds for spots (some 70% are shot on HD enabled DSLR's).

The apprehension I have in a format changeover is the glass, and waiting for adapters which accept the budget realm AI and post AI (still stellar f/1.2/.4/2/2.8) primes, zooms and Pro lens purchases since the D90 broke open the HDslr egg.

I'm bound by economics for now and for better or worse have to stick with Nikon to meld the two worlds.

Now, if my DP pal returns from shooting a RED on tour in South America and buys the BMD, that will be a good thing in the best of both worlds kind of way.

Regardless, your tome is much appreciated and illustrates a long awaited beach head for parity minded creative folks who have been shouting, stranded, after negotiating a shoal of technocratic drip, drip, drip from engineering and marketing powerhouses who just don't get it.

That is changing, thank goodness.

I could not make NAB, had a concert to shoot but the new flash I like the most is http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20120415005071/en. which is the next tool to use if, one has the ball and chain of HDslr tied up in the gear locker.

Thanks!

RM

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marco SolorioRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 24, 2012 at 9:23:58 pm

As of now, April 24, 2012, at 2:22 PM PST, we just updated this article with even MORE information on this camera, including an interesting discovery I found with the Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L fisheye zoom lens. Crop factor? What crop factor!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike CohenRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 3:48:52 pm

I think the meme "DSLR killer" is a misnomer. In reality, every new piece of tech that challenges the status quo is good news for the whole industry. DVCAM challenged Beta SP. The DSLR challenged the traditional form factor HD camcorder. The 35mm sized camcorders challenged the DSLR and now the 2K+ cameras are challenging the 35mm cameras and the DSLR has to keep playing catch up. The net result is that people have more choices which is never a bad thing. Plus now there are choices for everyone depending upon your budget and your needs.

Choice = good.

MC

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rick LangRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 5:17:58 pm

Illuminating review. Thanks very much for your enthusiastic efforts. For a little less money, and larger aperture at the widest angle, this may be acceptable as well: Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 25, 2012 at 7:10:17 pm

Can the BMD Cinema Camera use EF-S lenses? I know it can use EF, but not sure about EF-S.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 25, 2012 at 7:57:56 pm

[Mike Squires] "Can the BMD Cinema Camera use EF-S lenses? I know it can use EF, but not sure about EF-S.
"

The EF lenses and EF-S lenses use an EF mount so I assume it will work fine. The EF-S lenses are designed around the APS-C size sensor and the BMD Cinema Camera uses a smaller sensor so they should be fine given a crop-factor adjustment in the apparent focal length of the lens. Anyone who attended NAB have the definitive answer?

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 25, 2012 at 9:40:37 pm

I read somewhere that EF-S lenses have an extra notch that refrains it from attaching to EF cameras, in order to not damage the sensor if one tried putting it on a full-frame EF camera.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 25, 2012 at 10:03:36 pm

[Mike Squires] "I read somewhere that EF-S lenses have an extra notch that refrains it from attaching to EF cameras, in order to not damage the sensor if one tried putting it on a full-frame EF camera."

Perhaps you are correct... not sure if the Blackmagic Cinema Camera mount will have the same restriction as Canon’s full-frame cameras given it’s a much small sensor. The Canon 1D and 5D full-frame cameras don’t accept EF-S lenses, but the APS-C sensor cameras take either EF or EF-S. So I suppose we can’t be sure until we hear from Blackmagic Design or someone can try it and see.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 25, 2012 at 10:07:32 pm

I hope it does, because there are some pretty good EF-S lenses made by Canon.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 25, 2012 at 11:35:13 pm

[Mike Squires] "I hope it does, because there are some pretty good EF-S lenses made by Canon.
"

Take a look at the official photo of an EF mount:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/Lens_Advantage_Perf...

On my EOS Digital Rebel, there’s a white dimple just a little clockwise from the red dimple. Perhaps if the Blackmagic Cinema Camera includes that dimple, then it will also accept EF-S lenses.

Now look at this shot of the mount on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera:
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/blackmagiccinemacamera/models/

It does have that extra dimple (although not the red and white colour) so it looks like it accepts EF and EF-S lenses!

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jonathan TengRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 12:05:45 am

im looking forward to this camera as well! such a bargain especially with the package deal with da vinci resolve. amazing price!

have you guys seen this: http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2012/04/17/blackmagic-cinema-camera-lets-t...

_______
Jonathan
Wedding Video Sydney | eMemories Productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 2, 2012 at 7:00:51 pm

After re-reading John Brawley's article on the BMD camera, he stated that he used a Canon 15-85mm lens for the "Bondi" shoot. Looking at Canon's website, the only 15-85mm lens they offer is an EF-S lens.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 2, 2012 at 9:14:10 pm

Yes, Mike and in another post on BMCuser.com John specifically mentioned one of the sample videos was shot with an EF-S lens so it's confirmed. Yea!

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 27, 2012 at 1:45:06 am

Okay, my Canon 8-15mm f/4L fisheye zoom arrived today, so we just updated the article to reflect some sample pics I shot with it here at the studio to better see how the "variable crop" phenomenon will work out. Really looking good IMO. 4/26/12 @ 6:40 PST.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John LivingsRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 28, 2012 at 1:00:47 am

Hi Marco,

Great Review, looking forward to more. (My next camera)

Regards, John

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Oded Erell@Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 8:14:31 am

Thanks allot for this highly informative review!!

Oded Erell

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Angelo SandeRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on May 9, 2012 at 3:57:59 pm

Very good approach to BMD Camera!
One only and direct question. The idea we get (real?...) is that BMD is specially focused to Mac users.
I´m a long time and present only user of Adobe Software in Windows PC. If right, how does will work BMD Raw and DNG files in Premiere CS 5?
Sorry for my academic question.
Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

david aretsky@Angelo Sande
by on Jul 10, 2012 at 7:02:43 pm

DNG is open format written by Adobe.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/extend.displayTab2.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Negative

dangerd

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kurt HowardRe: Article: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on May 18, 2012 at 8:47:49 am

Great article!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom SeftonRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on May 25, 2012 at 12:29:05 pm

Just pre-ordered one. Can't wait!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Malcolm MatuskyRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on May 25, 2012 at 11:40:06 pm

I looked at other articles on the BMC, but could not find anything on the choice of a non-standard sensor size. I find this puzzling as it's too small for m4/3 and too big for S16, with the EF/F mount it's way too small. Strange choice for what otherwise looks like a very interesting camera at a good price point. Too bad it does not have a "crop" mode to work with S16 glass as the GH2 does, that would be interesting.

M

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave WadsworthRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Jun 8, 2012 at 9:42:49 am

Speaking as an editor, the real advantage of this camera is being able to shoot native DnxHD! You have no idea how painful it is to deal with DSLR footage in post, especially since many networks still want their footage archived on tape. The assistant editors have to digitize the footage at full resolution, output to tape, and re-digitize the footage at lower resolution for editing. This is the only tapeless camera so far that had post production in mind from inception. Thank you Blackmagic!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Luis OteroRe: Article: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Jul 10, 2012 at 7:56:49 pm

Well, it does not exceed the Red Epic specs, so I cannot even start to label this camera as a "killer"...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marco Solorio@Luis Otero
by on Jul 10, 2012 at 9:46:07 pm

Well, not once in this article is there any reference to a RED Epic or comparing it to one, unless you think an Epic is an HDSLR...

O.o

As the large, bold, title says: "Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

dan bisa@Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Jul 27, 2012 at 11:33:48 am

Great review Marco

I'm a bit of a newbie, but have the need to film video in 2.5K. I also have a swag of Nikon lenses...is there an adapter that would let me marry the BM with these and not lose lots of functionality?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marco Solorio@dan bisa
by on Jul 27, 2012 at 11:59:37 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Dan. Yes, your Nikon lenses will work with the Cinema Camera, but you'll lose a couple of features. The Cinema Camera's EOS EF/EFS pins "talk" to the lens, so it can read/control what the lenses aperture is, and from why I gather, I think it can also read its focus, and might be able to control it at a later firmware update, but I'm not completely certain on that at this point. Regardless, you'll lose that functionality with Nikon lenses since the F-to-EF adapters I know of don't have pin-transfer controls on them. If you're using Nikon glass with manual aperture rings on them, then it's a bit of a moot point anyway. In the end, you should be fine.

Although I'll mostly be using my large collection of Canon L lenses with the Cinema Camera, I do have a small collection of manual Nikon prime lenses with F-to-EF adapters that I'll be testing with it as well when I get the camera in hand. I don't foresee any issues with Nikon lenses at all (unless they are electronically aperture controlled Nikon lenses, which mine are not).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 23, 2012 at 10:18:58 pm

New update: I'm happy to officially confirm that my variable crop factor theory using the Canon 8-15mm f/4L lens indeed works without vignetting. I've been granted permission from Blackmagic Design today, allowing me to post pics and info about our beta pre-release unit of the Cinema Camera. I've been posting stuff on our facebook page today, including stuff about the 8mm lenses with the Cinema Camera and such:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.493724947322557.124136.11565999846...

I'll be adding more and more pics and info on that photo album. Fun stuff!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]