Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

What to do when your done with your cg movie

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Gina MillerWhat to do when your done with your cg movie
by on Feb 3, 2008 at 12:00:50 am

So when I read traditional movie making books I see that when they are done filming they make a digital master and from this they make all other outputs, for DVD, for TV and for cinema. How does this work for the cg film? Since there is no camera, we already are digital so what are the steps and how does one go about creating a master and then how do we make the three outputs (DVD, TV, cinema)? Thank you in advance, Gina

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve WargoRe: What to do when your done with your cg movie
by on Feb 3, 2008 at 5:23:19 am

Hi Gina

Can you give us a few more details like:

What program did you use to create your movie?

What computer are you using?

How large is your file?

How long is your movie?

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gina MillerRe: What to do when your done with your cg movie
by on Feb 3, 2008 at 10:14:09 pm

Of course the parts are all made in various programs: Max 2008, Vegas Pro, Photoshop but they will all be put together in combustion. I'm working on a BOXX workstation.
I'm actually not done yet, but I want to know these questions ahead of time so that I am prepared and don't face any surprises. So I can't tell you how big it is yet.
It will be a full feature length film (might even be longer). I need to keep the three options in mind as I work (although of course I realize that they might not end up being output to all film, dvd, or tv - in fact it might be only one) but I need to be prepared for all. When it's done, how do I get my "master" created? And how do all the outputs from the master get created? Thank you, Gina

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve WargoRe: What to do when your done with your cg movie
by on Feb 4, 2008 at 9:10:22 am

When you're done, you'll need to render it to several types of files. You can send it on a hard drive to someone like E-Film for a film out, create a file for your DVD, and for TV, I would start with an HDCAM or HDCAM SR tape copy. The SR is higher quality but harder to find. Another tape option would be D-5. Sundance wants everything on HDCAM. Some TV networks want D-5, some want DigiBeta. And for film, printing from individual frames on a disc would be a snap. Shop that one around but E-Film is the name that pops up often.
We just sold a feature film to NetFlix and everything went on DigiBeta, both widescreen and 4x3 versions. They made their own DVDs.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gina MillerRe: What to do when your done with your cg movie
by on Feb 7, 2008 at 3:27:43 am

Terrific, thank you Steve. I really appreciate this information : ) Gina