Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MOTION GRAPHICS:Motion Graphics ForumMotion Graphics TutorialsAfter EffectsApple MotionBoris FXProfessionals

odometer problems

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
gern blanstenodometer problems
by on Oct 2, 2012 at 3:42:41 pm

Hi--

A client is asking for an odometer-style animation that runs from $0000000 to $5250000 then explode.

I've been using Aaron's odometer tutorial for this, but am having a problem overcoming the limit of AE's offset effect. Honestly, it doesn't have to work as a real-world odometer so the last couple of dials can just blur the numbers, but a few on the left will need to work.

Any ideas for creating this? I've keyframed one column then reset it, hoping to overcome the offset limit this way, but on the frame it's reset, I lose all the motion.

Any help is appreciated.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vishesh AroraRe: odometer problems
by on Oct 2, 2012 at 7:38:02 pm

Gern

This may not the correct way but you can try this out.

1. Make a new layer.
2. Apply Numbers Effect to it.
3. Type = Number
4. Size = As required
5. Now, Key the Value from 0 to 9 say in 10 frames. Now on the 11th frame again put the value as 0.
6. Now, Alt/Optn Click the the stop watch for value. Click on " Expression language menu ". Go to " Property " and choose " loopOut(type = "cycle", numKeyframes = 0) ".

This will loop your animation from 0 to 9.

7. Now duplicate the layers 4 times and nudge them a lit bit.
8. For the last three layers animate according the need.

This way can show the desired value you want.

Vishesh Arora
VFX and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: odometer problems
by on Oct 2, 2012 at 9:46:09 pm

I haven't tried this, but I think it's not too tricky using Aharon's odometer effect. Make a keyframe when the offset gets to the end... or some other value that works for you. You may be able to cut & paste the offset effect's keyframes on the very next frame, and it would look seamless.

I'm also wondering how you plan to do the explosion.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

gern blanstenRe: odometer problems
by on Oct 3, 2012 at 12:12:09 am

Thanks for replies!

Not sure what happened exactly, but I was able to offset to about -50000 over 20 frames then on the next frame reset it and do the same for the next 20 frames. The first time I tried this it hiccuped, but the second it worked fine so your guess is as good as mine. Maybe I had two frames instead of one before the reset.

Anyway, I applied a directional blur to the numbers on the right, more blur farther to the right. And it works well enough.

The explosion? Uh...probably shake it a little then overlay some Particular smoke. Nothing fancy.

This is a freebie project and I was given 3 days. It's only internal so it can lack some polish.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

gern blanstenRe: odometer problems
by on Oct 3, 2012 at 12:22:52 am

Hm...doesn't seem to matter anyway. It scrubs fine in the timeline, but when I render it out, some of the numbers stick for a while then spin some more.

Is the Offset effect really hosed or could this be something else?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]