Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MOTION GRAPHICS:Motion Graphics ForumMotion Graphics TutorialsAfter EffectsApple MotionBoris FXProfessionals

3D Pie Chart in After Effects Question?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Raymond Miller3D Pie Chart in After Effects Question?
by on May 31, 2012 at 5:20:29 pm

Hello,

I am working on a new project for a client of mine. Its a Logo animation.
There is a Pie chart included in the logo and I want that to be a major feature of the animation. What I imagined was having the chart values move into the a final value then become 3D and the individual pieces separate slightly. How can I achieve this in AE?

I tried to devise a method myself. I was thinking create the Pie chart in PS with indovidual layers etc. and bring it to AE and make masks of the individual pie pieces to animate the changing the values. I can use the shatter effect to extrude the pie to make it 3D and pull the individual layer pieces apart to separate them.
Is that too much work, or is there a better more efficient way? Did I overlook something?

Suggestions and totally different methods are welcome.

thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph W. BourkeRe: 3D Pie Chart in After Effects Question?
by on Jun 1, 2012 at 1:53:40 pm

Here's a rundown on what the options are for doing charts and graphs in AE:

http://ae.tutsplus.com/articles/news/charts-and-graphs-in-after-effects/

Red Giant used to have a product called Datamator, but they discontinued it due to stability issues and (I think) lack of interest.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matt CurrRe: 3D Pie Chart in After Effects Question?
by on Aug 11, 2012 at 11:46:40 am

Oh, I started doing this method the other day. Radial wipes!! It's brilliant, you don't need masks and you change the start angles and set completions for the value of each piece. Just create a circle shape, set rotation centre, set values, duplicate as you need for each piece, change color, play with key frames and layer order. The beauty of it is that by setting the values your halfway to awesomely animating it. Chuck a scale on it as it generates. Magic appearing pie graphs!!

You're welcome :)

Tho I'm not sure how the wipe works on a 3d layer, does the wipe 'extrude' or just stay 2d? Sorry, it's the weekend and no AE around to test it out on.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]