Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MOTION GRAPHICS:Motion Graphics ForumMotion Graphics TutorialsAfter EffectsApple MotionBoris FXProfessionals

Timing techniques for voiceovers on short pieces?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Max PalmerTiming techniques for voiceovers on short pieces?
by on May 24, 2012 at 1:48:35 pm

Most of my projects at work are emercials and informational pieces, ranging anywhere from a minute to 4 or 5 minutes. Most are animated, but sometimes I use video and photography.

Either way, due to timing constraints, sometimes the voiceover scripts aren't completely finished when I start working on the actual video portion. I usually record the VO on the back end, clean it up, and then re-time the video and animations based on the speed of the VO.

Is this normal? If so, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to more accurately time a piece when all I have so far is an accurate, but unapproved script? Do some of you do a rough VO on your own for timing purposes up front, ahead of video creation?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Timing techniques for voiceovers on short pieces?
by on May 24, 2012 at 2:48:02 pm

Using a scratch track is a viable way to get a jump on the project, and with a little additional investment in time you can help yourself later. Once you have the animation right, use markers on the scratch track layer at crucial points: they can be annotated, which makes the re-timing job go much faster.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dan FredleyRe: Timing techniques for voiceovers on short pieces?
by on May 24, 2012 at 3:54:41 pm

Re-timing is normal and one of the most annoying parts of the job for me. We do scratch tracks, which help, but it's never perfect. Plus script changes usually happen almost all the way up to the day of delivery. I use a few scripts to help me retime things:

rd_Scooter
rd_Shifter

Keeping your layers trimmed is essential as well. I use the following script to order my layers by in-point from the bottom up.

rd_KindaSorta

I'm sure there are a lot of other scripts that are helpful, but you'll have to search around and experiment.

Dan Fredley

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]