Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MOTION GRAPHICS:Motion Graphics ForumMotion Graphics TutorialsAfter EffectsApple MotionBoris FXProfessionals

Inverting the warp stabilizer?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Clay HammonsInverting the warp stabilizer?
by on May 8, 2012 at 2:13:12 am

I am working on a handheld shot and am hoping to find a way to use the warp stabilizer to remove motion from the shot, add my effects to the background then undo the stabilization so its back to being handheld so that the effects will then use the inverted stabilization data. If its possible could someone give me a general workflow of how to do it? If its not possible with the warp stabilizer what would be a workflow for doing it with the legacy stabilizer?

Thanks in advance!

-Clay

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Inverting the warp stabilizer?
by on May 8, 2012 at 2:54:00 pm

[Clay Hammons] "If it's not possible with the warp stabilizer what would be a workflow for doing it with the legacy stabilizer?"

We don't have enough information to recommend a bulletproof method, but we do have enough information to tell you you're doing it backwards.

Generally, you would use either Mocha or AE's built-in motion tracker to track the motion, then apply the motion track to the effects (text?) so they follow the motion.
http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/after-effects/using/tracking-stabili...

If the hand-held shot moves through 3D space, e.g. you walked down the street with the camera, you'd want a 3D tracker like Syntheyes or the new 3D tracker in AE 11 (aka CS6).
http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/after-effects/using/tracking-3d-came...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Russ AnderssonRe: Inverting the warp stabilizer?
by on May 8, 2012 at 10:27:46 pm

The SynthEyes image preprocessor and stabilizer are invertible, so this workflow is pretty straightforward. You should pad up the image in the preprocessor before stabilizing, so that you don't have to have any part of it get cropped, since you want the full original image back. You should specify a higher output resolution, so that the padding area doesn't cause any downsampling.

After you output the stabilized sequence and add your effects, you take the same scene in SynthEyes, and do a Shot/Change Shot Images to your modified footage. That will give you an option to select for re-distorting CGI effects; it will reconfigure the image preprocessor to remove the upsample, stabilization, and padding --- giving you back images that match your original.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Clay HammonsRe: Inverting the warp stabilizer?
by on May 8, 2012 at 10:30:44 pm

perfect! just what i needed. I found out the warp stabilizer isnt currently reversible, only the legacy tracker. Maybe it will be updated in cs6 for that, not sure :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]