Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MOTION GRAPHICS:Motion Graphics ForumMotion Graphics TutorialsAfter EffectsApple MotionBoris FXProfessionals

Bounce back of a falling suspended sign

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Yan TrudelBounce back of a falling suspended sign
by on Apr 27, 2012 at 7:42:40 pm

Hi everyone,
I've checked quickly in the forums but haven't found a post helping me out with what I have to do.

I'm looking to recreate a natural movement of sign attached by ropes (or chains) that falls and reaches the end of the ropes and has a kind of bounce back effect. Not sure I'm using the right terms to explain this. The problem isn't the sign itself as much as how the ropes (chains) bend and react with the impact / jerking of the weight of the sign. Although if you guys have tips on recreating a natural motion of it all, it's always appreciated!

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ad van DijkRe: Bounce back of a falling suspended sign
by on Apr 27, 2012 at 8:46:19 pm

// Inertial Bounce (moves settle into place after bouncing around a little)
n = 0;
if (numKeys > 0){
n = nearestKey(time).index;
if (key(n).time > time){
n--;
}
}
if (n == 0){
t = 0;
}else{
t = time - key(n).time;
}

if (n > 0){
v = velocityAtTime(key(n).time - thisComp.frameDuration/10);
amp = .05;
freq = 4.0;
decay = 2.0;
value + v*amp*Math.sin(freq*t*2*Math.PI)/Math.exp(decay*t);
}else{
value;
}

Change amp, freq and decay to your personal preferences.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Yan TrudelRe: Bounce back of a falling suspended sign
by on May 1, 2012 at 3:02:24 pm

Thanks for the answer Ad,

Although, it wan't quite what I was looking for. I've been using Inertial Bounce for a while now and am familiar with the expression. Although it offers a nice and smooth alternative, using it alone was a little too bouncy for what I needed to create.

The movement of the sign wasn't really the puzzle for me, rather than the natural feel of the ropes holding it. I finally ended up playing around with a couple of the distort effects and ended up with really sweet and natural looking motion. For the sign dropping, I already had a pretty good recipe with combined Newton and Inertial Bounce

I posted the question on the forum last friday and actually was a little short on time and looking for quick answers. When I was told it didn't need to be finished friday, I took the weekend to relax and came back on monday with a fresh look and everything just fell into place.

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]