Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MOTION GRAPHICS:Motion Graphics ForumMotion Graphics TutorialsAfter EffectsApple MotionBoris FXProfessionals

time stretching footage that goes in & out of focus

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Hillary Knoxtime stretching footage that goes in & out of focus
by on Feb 14, 2012 at 8:29:45 pm

Trying to use AE & Kronos to manufacture some slo-mo. Considering the time that I've invested in it (very little), the results so far have ranged from more-than-acceptable to pretty great...until now.

I have a clip (shot on 5d) that's an ECU of an actor's face - the focus is super shallow and the actor is rocking back & forth, face going in & out of focus.

I'm no expert slo-mo manufacturer, and I don't know if there is a trick to getting this to work better. I'm only trying to slow the footage down 50%, but I keep getting some really weird morph-y looking stuff happening in the large facial surface areas i.e. cheeks. I thought about subdividing the clip into in-focus and out-of-focus sections & slowing those sections independently, but I don't want to do any more wheel reinvention than is necessary. Is there a standard trick for dealing with this?

Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SzalapskiRe: time stretching footage that goes in & out of focus
by on Feb 14, 2012 at 11:00:54 pm

Is there a reason you can't reshoot with the actor moving at the speed you want (or the camera at a higher shutter speed)?
By how much are you attempting to slow it?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: time stretching footage that goes in & out of focus
by on Feb 14, 2012 at 11:03:38 pm

If you're just slowing down by a factor of 2, you can use Time Remapping.

Applying the Time Warp effect may make the footage look better, but avoid it if you're happy with the footage as is. The controls should look familiar as Time Warp can be thought of as Kronos Lite.

And in my experience, there isn't much from The Foundry that can be used intuitively with good results. It takes a little study & practice.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Hillary KnoxRe: time stretching footage that goes in & out of focus
by on Feb 15, 2012 at 5:30:05 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Short answer: thanks. it totally worked for what I need

Long answer: I did 4 versions (2 of them might be superfluous): 2 versions using Time Remap only, 2 versions using Time Remap plus Timewarp. I can *maybe* see a micro-difference with Timewarp in addition to Remap, but it could just be psychological.

I did one batch with the Frame Blending set to Pixel Motion & precomped that prior to doing the Time Remap/Timewarp just to see if it would make any difference. Again, maybe micro difference, maybe not. The only reason I did that was because in a Kronos tutorial I saw, that was the first step before they Kronos-ed the footage & I thought it might be worth a try. Don't ask me what it actually does.

Again, thanks for the help.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]