Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

C-Clamp Sizing

COW Forums : Lighting Design Pros

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Michael HurwiczC-Clamp Sizing
by on Sep 6, 2012 at 11:15:01 pm

Arri Baby Pipe Clamp description says "Fits a 2 inch diameter pipe."

Does this mean *up to* 2 inches? i.e. any diameter smaller than that should also work?

Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dennis SizeRe: C-Clamp Sizing
by on Sep 9, 2012 at 4:49:45 am

Very often these clamps don't tighten down on very small pipes (1" and smaller) due to the bolts used. You could simply replace the bolt with a longer one however.
If you're using much smaller pipe however, perhaps you don't need such a large clamp. What type fixture are you using?
DS

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael HurwiczRe: C-Clamp Sizing
by on Sep 9, 2012 at 4:43:15 pm

Thanks, Dennis! I actually haven't installed a fixture yet, so I am free to use a different fixture and a different clamp. This is just the clamp I ran across that looked like it would work well with ARRI 650 Fresnels (and smaller like 350 and 150). A two inch pipe seems like more than I should need. I'm thinking a one inch pipe would do. Is there another clamp you know of that would work well for that?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 10, 2012 at 1:14:55 am

You shouldn't be buying clamps separate from the fixture.
Buy the fixture and the clamp that goes with it. Arri makes an excellent clamp -- use it. Why waste time shopping for separate clamps?
If you do feel a need to "shop around" for clamps then go to THE LIGHT SOURCE (coolclamps.com). They have every clamp you can imagine.
DS

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 10, 2012 at 4:13:16 am

Thanks, Dennis. Sorry, when I saw "fixture" I was thinking about the pipe to attach the light to, whereas it actually means the light itself. I do have the ARRI Fresnels already.

So, I think the conclusion is to go ahead and get c-clamp mentioned above and use it with a 2" pipe, even though to me that seems kind of overkill-ish.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 17, 2012 at 12:15:44 am

1 1/2" Schedule 40 black steel pipe is the standard
DS

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 17, 2012 at 12:40:28 am

Thank you, Dennis!

Return to posts index