Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Choice of greenscreen fabric: "Tempo" or "Poly Pro"

COW Forums : Lighting Design Pros

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Michael HurwiczChoice of greenscreen fabric: "Tempo" or "Poly Pro"
by on Aug 1, 2012 at 6:02:04 pm

I am looking at getting a 15' x 15' Digi Green greenscreen from laraghouse.com. They have "Tempo" fabric and "Poly Pro" for the same price. Can anyone fill me in on the pros and cons of the two types of fabrics?

(Hope this is not too far off topic. If there's a better forum for it, please let me know.)

Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SuszkoRe: Choice of greenscreen fabric: "Tempo" or "Poly Pro"
by on Aug 2, 2012 at 7:38:53 pm

I'd have to see a sample and read the specs. You want the one with the flattest matte finish, not at all reflective, and you want something that will stretch and reject wrinkles. Spandex is typical on the low end, and is okay I think if the weave is tight enough that light doesn't shine thru it when stretched. Fire codes vary by state and city, but insurance typically would want you to have the material fireproofed. The kind I like feels and looks similar to automotive headliner material.

Check out Rosebrand in New York; they have sample cards with actual swatches available, and they will tell you what each bolt is made of and the fire resistance.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael HurwiczRe: Choice of greenscreen fabric: "Tempo" or "Poly Pro"
by on Aug 2, 2012 at 7:46:02 pm

Thanks, Mark.

I found this description of Poly Pro at Rosebrand:

"A new, inherently flame retardant matte fabric preferred by major movie studios, with a brushed finish - the latest in keying fabric ..."

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael HurwiczRe: Choice of greenscreen fabric: "Tempo" or "Poly Pro"
by on Aug 2, 2012 at 9:46:04 pm

Got this info from laraghouse:

There's really no plus or minus but here are some differences.

* Tempo is 5' wide and poly Pro is 10'
* Poly Pro Is rated and certified FR (flame retardant) and Tempo is not
* Tempo is light weight but denser in size due to being a foam product
* Poly Pro is the same weight and feel as Commando and folds down a lot smaller.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill DavisRe: Choice of greenscreen fabric: "Tempo" or "Poly Pro"
by on Aug 5, 2012 at 3:21:42 am

Here's the deal.

Keyiing today isn't like it used to be.

It used to be incredibly finicky and required huge amounts of precision top to bottom.

Today, the software is better, the digital video world captures and reproduces more consistent signals, and there we have more lighting options than ever before.

All of which means your chances of success are tremendously better now then they were even 5 years ago.

So don't obsess and sweat it so much.

Thicker and foam backed, thinner and more storable, fabric, screen, foam - they ALL work just fine.

The things the screw keys up are the same things that always did. Not creating an even light field on the keying surface and not having enough budget to shoot or capture in a format with enough resolution so that the software can accurately tell where one object ends and the next begins.

And at this point in keying technology - fabric has VERY little to do with that.

So relax and flip a coin. If fabric A keys for you - so will B, C and D. Because everything else has improved to the point where the fabric typically just isn't the critical factor any longer.

Have fun.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dennis SizeRe: Choice of greenscreen fabric: "Tempo" or "Poly Pro"
by on Aug 6, 2012 at 3:19:35 am

Use the Poly Pro.

DS

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Elaine EwingRe: Choice of greenscreen fabric: "Tempo" or "Poly Pro"
by on Aug 9, 2012 at 5:32:04 pm

Have you considered paint? Take a look at this video from Bammo's Weapons of Mass Production. Maybe this will help :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]