Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Need solutions for an antique stage lighting system

COW Forums : Lighting Design Pros

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Tom VanBuskirkNeed solutions for an antique stage lighting system
by on Feb 19, 2012 at 1:54:52 am

I do lights for a school that has an antiquated lighting panel (>50 yrs old) the size of a small car that is hard wired in place backstage. I want to insert small dimmer packs between the border fixtures and the panel so that i can use an xlr controller to dim them remotely. The connectors are all stage pin, and the border lights are arranged as follows in three rows: 3x15 lamps, 3x15 lamps, and 4x10 lamps. What is the most cost-effective way to do this? I was thinking of buying small, relatively cheap dimmer packs that i can hang overhead, but they all seem to be max 600W per channel and I would need 900W per color for each of the three roww of fixtures. I would also need adapters or new plugs for all the stage pin connectors. Can anyone offer a relatively cheap, creative solution?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dennis SizeRe: Need solutions for an antique stage lighting system
by on Feb 19, 2012 at 3:44:12 am

What type of frontlight do you have lighting the stage, and what is controlling those fixtures?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom VanBuskirkRe: Need solutions for an antique stage lighting system
by on Feb 19, 2012 at 4:21:52 am

There is no front light in house. I normally rent a combination of about 8 source 4 ellipsoidals and PAR lamps that I hang on crankstands, and I control these from a board out front. I have separate 20 amp circuits that I had installed for those. But I have no way of controlling the border strips, so I have have to either leave them on for the whole show, or not use them at all. If I could hang dimmer packs overhead next to the strips, I can just rent a bigger board and control everything. But I need to make sure this will work before I just start buying gear.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dennis SizeRe: Need solutions for an antique stage lighting system
by on Feb 19, 2012 at 6:03:47 am

Where are the dimmers that control those FOH 20amp circuits?

DS

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom VanBuskirkRe: Need solutions for an antique stage lighting system
by on Feb 20, 2012 at 4:27:27 am

I rent them along with the FOH lights. They are 4x600W dimmers that I mount on the crankstands holding the fixtures.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]