Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

kino-flo vs dayflo pro lights

COW Forums : Lighting Design Pros

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Scott Hendersonkino-flo vs dayflo pro lights
by on Oct 8, 2010 at 2:14:57 pm

Looking to upgrade my lighting kit & wondering what the consensus is when comparing kino-flo vs dayflo pro lights.

I currently use an assortment of tungsten lights, Lowel, etc. I will probably want to use those other lights for background lights, kicker & such, while using the "diva" type light for a key. Also, I've heard they are fantastic for green screen which we seem to do a lot of.

My main camera man has a diva light, so anything I buy would supplement what he uses or if he's not available be used instead of renting.

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rick WiseRe: kino-flo vs dayflo pro lights
by on Oct 8, 2010 at 6:44:57 pm

The web site for the dayflo bulbs does not site any stats. I would expect them to have a relatively poor CRI in comparison to the Kinos. However you may be able to remove the green spike with some minus green. How much -- 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 you will have to find out by trial and error. It's a whole lot safer to stick with the Kinos, but price matters.

Rick Wise
director of photography
San Francisco Bay Area
part-time instructor lighting/camera
Academy of Art University/Film and Video (grad school)
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Scott HendersonRe: kino-flo vs dayflo pro lights
by on Oct 9, 2010 at 3:54:41 pm

I suppose like anything you get what you pay for.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael EasparamRe: kino-flo vs dayflo pro lights
by on Oct 9, 2010 at 4:12:43 pm

I have found that with flos and LEDs, this is especially true. You get into all kinds of issues like quality control, LED binning, overall color temperature quality that is not as much of an issue with tungsten or even HMI fixtures.

Take cheapo LED fixtures for example - poor quality control and LED binning leads to HUGE differences between fixtures. You read a review of a light that sings it's praises, yet the one you receive is nowhere near as good. It's very possible the one received by the reviewer was indeed good, but every fixture is different. The same thing applies to buying multiple fixtures. One looks great, one looks bad. Nothing you can do about it.

Kino has spent years upon years tweaking their products for exactly what we do - production. They work well repeatably and match well with each other and other types of lights. Lamps are a huge part of it also, the funny color from the off brand lamp can ruin a shot. Why should you have to start color correcting brand new lights? Not to mention the next batch may be totally different.

If your main camera guy has a Diva, you should definitely buy something from that same family.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]