Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AVID:Avid Editing ForumAvid Editing TutorialsAvid Editing Basics ForumAvid Liquid ForumAvid Liquid TutorialsAvid VideoRAID ForumAvid

12TB is toast - need to relink MXF to AMAs

COW Forums : AVID

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Frederic Lumiere12TB is toast - need to relink MXF to AMAs
by on Aug 10, 2012 at 11:05:22 pm

A perfect Friday... Most of the MXFs on one of my 12 TB RAIDS are corrupt, unusable. Is it possible to reconnect all the now offline clips to the original AMAs (5D Movs with Timecode) the lost MXFs were transcoded from in the first place? Of course this happens on the day I have to deliver a rough cut.

Thanks,

F

Frederic Lumiere
Producer
Lumiere Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard SanchezRe: 12TB is toast - need to relink MXF to AMAs
by on Aug 10, 2012 at 11:12:37 pm

Yes you can, however exporting from linked AMA clips might be slow and prone to error.

Try this link. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20021366/Avid%20Workflow%20Docs/Hotel%20Hell%20Wor...

It's a workflow guide I made for a show I recently worked on that was an all AMA based workflow. The last part describes relinking via AMA. The gist of it is, link AMA volumes, bring all your clips up via AMA, highlight the AMA clips, and then in a separate bin, highlight the sequence. Right click and select "Relink selected items in All open bins"

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Frederic LumiereRe: 12TB is toast - need to relink MXF to AMAs
by on Aug 11, 2012 at 12:28:41 pm

Richard,

Thanks so much! excellent suggestion. It allowed me to get a cut out. Still have to re-transcode all the lost footage for realtime editing but at least I could output a cut.

You da man!

F

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 11, 2012 at 7:49:06 pm

Glad I could help!

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

aaron shadwellRe: 12TB is toast - need to relink MXF to AMAs
by on Aug 12, 2012 at 6:05:18 pm

Hey guys ....thanks for posting that work flow - i think It might save me also...

be well, Aaron

thanks for reading!!!
check out my rock band

shadwellmusic.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 12, 2012 at 8:07:02 pm

Is there anyway to render the parts of the timeline where the AMAs are in order to play smoothly?

I don't have time to retranscode all the AMAs but I do have time to render the timeline for it to play smoothly so I can refine the edit...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 12, 2012 at 8:53:13 pm

You could subsequence the part of the sequence that you want to play smoothly. Then, right click that sub sequence and select transcode, that way you can transcode that potion of the timeline with handles. I would give it very healthy sized handles if you plan to do much cutting around, but that might be a decent compromise.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 12, 2012 at 9:15:37 pm

Cool, so that would transcode the clips individually with handles?

Also, it would ignore the clips that are already in the same codec? So that's what checking "Include reformatted clips already at target resolution is for?

Exciting to discover all these AVID features...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 13, 2012 at 4:30:01 pm

From what I understand, if you check "Include reformatted clips already at target resolution" it will retranscode those clips. Unchecking it will leave those alone.

This is the basis by which my workflow works in transcoding AMA clips in a timeline, and also why you want to remove your offline reference video, because if your mix down is online if your sequence and you transcode your offline reference at 8:1me, it will transcode it as DNxHD when it's not necessary.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 13, 2012 at 7:42:16 pm

I wish you could choose to transcode the whole clips rather than just handles...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 13, 2012 at 7:47:29 pm

In the bin with your sequence, using the hamburger menu in the lower left, you can select "Set Bin Display" and enable "Show Reference Clips". That should show you all your used AMA clips. If you transcode those, you should be transcoding the whole clip.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]