Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AVID:Avid Editing ForumAvid Editing TutorialsAvid Editing Basics ForumAvid Liquid ForumAvid Liquid TutorialsAvid VideoRAID ForumAvid

Media Composer 6 on 6-core 3.33GHz? Any trouble?

COW Forums : AVID

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Peter SartwellMedia Composer 6 on 6-core 3.33GHz? Any trouble?
by on Aug 9, 2012 at 8:21:47 pm

This is an identical post from the Avid Community Mac forum...

How is the 6-core, 3.33GHz Mac Pro working with MC6? The machine's been around for a long time now, but isn't an Avid-qualified MC6 system, according to the Rev 6 April 16, 2012 of Qualified Apple Sytems doc.

Avid only lists/tests the dual processor Mac Pros; is there any circumstance where the single proc hexcore will be trouble?

I did try searching, but not finding something isn't the same as getting confirmation it works well. I've seen a few comments in the positive. I can't find any known issues with it in the read me.

It would be used in a fully updated Unity FC environment, and also host Adobe apps.

Most projects it will run are using DNx36 captures from HDCAM-SR media in 1080PsF/23.98. Near future use will be against file-based media of about the same bitrate (based on how much Unity storage we have).

Sure wish my facility could wait for the new Mac Pronicorn, but we can't. Our older dual quad, 3.0GHz Harpertowns aren't getting Adobe renders done fast enough. A 2010 iMac smokes them.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Media Composer 6 on 6-core 3.33GHz? Any trouble?
by on Aug 9, 2012 at 9:34:26 pm

Well, I'm running it on an OctoCore 3.0Ghx model...2008...and it's not quite as snappy as it should be. Running it on my brand new 2012 MacBook Pro and it is much more responsive. I thought it was my Kona card, but I uninstalled the drivers for that and it made little difference. I get beachballs on occasion, but the big issue is it takes a while to autosave, and I will have moments where I do 8 keystokes, and then need to wait for the Avid to catch up to me. That doesn't happen on my laptop.

MC6 is 64 bit, and to enable those abilities, you need a qualified machine. Your's isn't so you won't see any benefit...in fact, it'll be slower than previous versions. Stick to a version that works great on your machine, or get a new machine that will work with MC6. Heck, I know places still using MC4...MC3...MERIDIANS! But MC4 is more common among the older models. Keeping up with software advances means doing the same with hardware.

"Mac Pronicorn"...love it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]