Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AVID:Avid Editing ForumAvid Editing TutorialsAvid Editing Basics ForumAvid Liquid ForumAvid Liquid TutorialsAvid VideoRAID ForumAvid

Can't import/AMA MXF files/ footage from another AVID?

COW Forums : AVID

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Darren Kincaid O'MahoneyCan't import/AMA MXF files/ footage from another AVID?
by on Jun 1, 2012 at 6:25:58 pm

Hi guys.

Basically we've got a harddrive back from a post production facility, and on it they've ingested rushes for us onto an avid, and then given us the hard drive.

On the hard drive is MXF files in a numbered '1' folder, inside a folder labled MXF, inside an avid media files folder. There is also a folder named 'Bin' which inside just contains a bin File.

I've copied the contents of the drive over to our office drive, and I need to be able to get this files into avid, so the editors can edit with them.

At the moment if i open the bin file up in our avid it just says media offline.

I've tried AMA the files but they don't show up, and I've tried media tool but they don't show up there either.

Any idea guys? Please bit desperate here as I need to get this done in the next few hours so i can go out for my birthday!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael HancockRe: Can't import/AMA MXF files/ footage from another AVID?
by on Jun 1, 2012 at 6:31:00 pm

Do you have media drives with Avid media already on them? If you do, just open the Avid MediaFiles/MXF/ folder on that drive and copy the numbered folder they gave you into the MXF folder on your media drive. You can rename the numbered folder to another number if you want (if it's numbered 1 and you already have an Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1 folder just rename the 1 folder the other company gave you to 2).

If you don't already have an Avid MediaFiles/MXF/ folder structure on your media drive just copy theirs to your drive, so you will have Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1. Open Avid, it will scan the drive, open the bin they gave you - your media should be online.

All Avid media is organized this way. AMA can reference files where they sit on a hard drive, but only certain files are AMA'able. Quicktime, Red, XDCam, P2, and some others. MXF from another Avid always goes in a numbered folder in Avid MediaFiles/MXF/[NUMBERED FOLDER/.mxf media.

Let us know if it doesn't work, but it definitely should.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Darren Kincaid O'MahoneyRe: Can't import/AMA MXF files/ footage from another AVID?
by on Jun 1, 2012 at 6:34:45 pm

Thank you for replying so quickly!

I tried that earlier on, and I've just tried it again, but unfortunatly the Avid doesn't seen to scan anything? It doesn't do anything?

Also the bin they gave me I'm not sure if it's even the same stuff to be honest? Where should I drag the bin to?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Darren Kincaid O'MahoneyRe: Can't import/AMA MXF files/ footage from another AVID?
by on Jun 1, 2012 at 6:39:26 pm

Scarp that, once I dragged the bin over to media files as well, and then opened, it will now come up and play the media.

However, three of the files have the ending .old, and say media offline. And then three others with the same name, but without the .old work perfectly?

Am I guessing the old ones are an attempt by the post house to do something that didn't work, and I'm safe to delete them?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 1, 2012 at 6:46:08 pm

They probably AMA'd some footage in and transcoded it, or consolidated it, linking the consolidated media to the new masterclips. Avid automatically adds .old to the originals so you know which ones they were. The .old can be deleted.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 1, 2012 at 6:44:33 pm

What kind of drives are you using for media? If they're network drives, open Avid, open the console (Cmd+6 on a Mac, Ctrl+6 on a PC), and type "alldrives" without the quotation marks and hit Enter.

Also, before you launch Avid, go into the numbered folder they gave you and delete the msmFMID.pmr and MSMMMOB.mdb files. Launch Avid and it will rescan.

Note the spelling and capitalization of the folder structure - it matters.

Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1/media

If you have a space between Media and Files, Avid won't see it. It's very, very strict.

If you don't think they gave you the right bin and you need all the masterclips of the media they gave you, drag the msmMMOB.mdb folder into a bin and it will populate it with all the masterclips of that media folder. Super awesome tip I got from Shane Ross' blog.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 1, 2012 at 8:05:06 pm

Hi thank you so much for the help, it's al in now and works! You were an amazing help thank you!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 1, 2012 at 8:12:44 pm

Glad to help, and Happy Birthday!

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy