Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AVID:Avid Editing ForumAvid Editing TutorialsAvid Editing Basics ForumAvid Liquid ForumAvid Liquid TutorialsAvid VideoRAID ForumAvid

avid codec & apple motion

COW Forums : AVID

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
joshua schwarzavid codec & apple motion
by on May 21, 2012 at 4:59:47 pm

i'm trying to export some type with alpha channel from apple motion using the avid quicktime codec. motion doesn't allow you to export directly to the avid codec but you can use the templates in compressor to get to the avid codec. so, in motion, i use the sharing menu and then choose use compressor settings. i set up a template in compressor for the avid codec. i've played with all the settings and yes, i have uncompressed alpha channel turned on and i am using pre-multiplied and millions+ colors. the avid does import as a matte key with alpha channel but the alpha channel is blank. if i do all the same things but export from motion directly as prores 4444, everything works as it should.

also, if i do the same thing in after effects and export directly from after effects to the avid codec it works reliably. below are my specs and settings.

Mac 10.6.8, MC 5.3.3.1, Avid QT codec 2.3.7 (1080i DNxHD 220 8-bit), Motion 5.0, Compressor 4.02

Anyone else had any luck with motion and alpha channels? thank, josh

joshua schwarz, producer/editor | post josh productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John PaleRe: avid codec & apple motion
by on May 22, 2012 at 12:54:17 pm

Yeah. I noticed this too. It seems like a bug in Motion. Don't hold your breath waiting for a fix from Apple on this.

Avid imports ProRes 4444 just fine, so I just use that instead.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

joshua schwarzRe: avid codec & apple motion
by on May 22, 2012 at 8:11:12 pm

good to know it's not just me...

joshua schwarz, producer/editor | post josh productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter