Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AVID:Avid Editing ForumAvid Editing TutorialsAvid Editing Basics ForumAvid Liquid ForumAvid Liquid TutorialsAvid VideoRAID ForumAvid

Desktop logging of rough selects for MC6

COW Forums : AVID

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Lee WarnerDesktop logging of rough selects for MC6
by on May 14, 2012 at 3:59:57 am

What's the best workflow for a producer to log rough selects for XDCAMHD material with a PDW-U1 drive on their desktop and then have the editor import just those proxy selects (subclips) into MC6?

The new XDCAM Browser software doesn't seem to work like Sony's discontinued PDZ-1 software where you could export ALE or AAF files.

Lee

SAMDOG Digital Post
Calgary, Alberta
Mac Pro 2.66 12-core 16gb ram • FSI LM1760W Monitor • Matrox MX02 • Caldigit HD One 8tb Raid • Avid Artist Transport • Media Composer 6 • Final Cut Studio 3 • Premiere Pro CS5

• Living my life one frame at a time •

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bouke VahlRe: Desktop logging of rough selects for MC6
by on May 14, 2012 at 8:09:57 am

any reason not to use the old software that did work?

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lee WarnerRe: Desktop logging of rough selects for MC6
by on May 14, 2012 at 12:22:15 pm

The only version I can find of the PDZ-1 software on the Sony Pro site (in the legacy downloads section) is for Windows. I need a Mac version.

Lee

SAMDOG Digital Post
Calgary, Alberta
Mac Pro 2.66 12-core 16gb ram • FSI LM1760W Monitor • Matrox MX02 • Caldigit HD One 8tb Raid • Avid Artist Transport • Media Composer 6 • Final Cut Studio 3 • Premiere Pro CS5

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Glenn SakatchRe: Desktop logging of rough selects for MC6
by on May 14, 2012 at 6:31:09 pm

Doesn't avid still come with a copy of media log....or am I dating myself? Perhaps that would work

Glenn

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gary HazenRe: Desktop logging of rough selects for MC6
by on May 14, 2012 at 8:47:56 pm

For XDCAM Browser you need the optional advanced pack.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/xdcampack?keycode=731500

This will allow you to export an AAF file (without the media).

If you don't want to spend the money on the option you can simply use a clip list and AMA. Write the clip list back to the origianl XDCAM disc. When you load the disk using AMA in Composer the clip list should show up at the top of the bin as a sequence. From there you can consolidate, transcode, etc., etc.

*Disclaimer - My work flow tests were done using PC computers (WinXP/7, MC 5.5). I have no idea if these methods will work on the Mac side.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lee WarnerRe: Desktop logging of rough selects for MC6
by on May 14, 2012 at 9:00:25 pm

Thanks Gary for the helpful advice,

I had experimented with creating clip lists in XDCAM Browser before I wrote the original post. It seemed like an okay way of getting the subclip selects into MC6. One issue I had was if I imported low rez proxies at first via clip lists, I got stuck getting the timeline created with those proxies to transcode from the original hi-rez clips off the XD disc.

Are the extra bucks for the Advanced Pack worth it? Is AAF export the main advantage?

Lee

SAMDOG Digital Post
Calgary, Alberta

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gary HazenRe: Desktop logging of rough selects for MC6
by on May 14, 2012 at 9:54:49 pm

For our particular work flow it's worth the expense.

I'm not a fan of AMA. We try to get the most out of our discs so we end up with well over a hundred clips on a single disc (nearly 90 min.). With a PDW-U1 drive attached to the edit station it can take awhile for all those clips to load into the bin via AMA.

I prefer to import an AAF file and then import the media attached to the AAF. It's much faster since I'm only grabbing the clips I need. I write the AAF back to the original disc in the user data folder. I'll have the producers do this as well once I'm finished testing out the work flow.

I used to have the producers export an EDL using the PDZ-1 software. I would bring the EDL in through EDL manager, assign a tape name name to the clips and digitize with a 1500 deck. It worked OK. I can see that using AAF will be a big improvement over the EDL workaround.

That said, I wish Sony hadn't made AAF a paid option. Bummer. We can blame it on Sony's marketing department I guess. No doubt they are pleased that they have, "Monetized components of their applications". Whatever. I'm an editor, I just want a way to get my Producer's selects into my edit system as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]