Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AVID:Avid Editing ForumAvid Editing TutorialsAvid Editing Basics ForumAvid Liquid ForumAvid Liquid TutorialsAvid VideoRAID ForumAvid

Newbie Query : Exporting from Avid

COW Forums : AVID

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Dave EdwardsNewbie Query : Exporting from Avid
by on May 4, 2012 at 1:16:08 pm

Exporting a 1920 x 1080 file to a Windows PC seems to give rather poor results compared to the output from Sony Vegas: the resulting output looks soft and the colour rather saturated.

Can some kind person advise me on the best settings for producing a high quality file playable in Windows Media Player, Real Player or Quicktime?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stacy LincolnRe: Newbie Query : Exporting from Avid
by on May 4, 2012 at 3:41:52 pm

I work at a large cable company and this is how many of us export for air and for our clients. However, I think you hit upon a challenge facing all editors today. There doesn't seem to be a single compression setting that anyone is using! And it's tough to know which is best. We all wish there were industry guidelines.
Here's what I do. I export my AVID timeline using the Quicktime movie setting/animation setting. Keep your frame rate Current.
Keep the size 1920 x 1080...and export this to your desktop. Of course this will be a LARGE file.
Then, make sure you have Quicktime Pro. When you open the movie on your desktop, go under File..export again...and THIS TIME...choose h264. When the box opens...you can choose not to restrict the frame rate. OR you can choose a different one. 10000 to 15000 is still a good rate...and your file will significantly shrink in size with pretty good quality. I usually will take that h264 into Sorensen Squeeze and use a WMV preset of 480 or 360 (16 x 9) for smaller versions that will play for clients. I make almost everything like this and these h264's go on-air as is.
Now, AVID will export h264s and wmvs directly as well. I find they seem a bit fuzzy to me. That's why I use this other method.
I hope this helps!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave EdwardsRe: Newbie Query : Exporting from Avid
by on May 4, 2012 at 6:23:34 pm

Thank you very much for your help, Stacy: I shall try this.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ron DylewskiRe: Newbie Query : Exporting from Avid
by on May 7, 2012 at 5:58:35 pm

Dave -

One weird little tool I discovered for making very small, but very good QTs came with Call Recorder for Skype, made by these people... It's a little suite of drag and drop encoders...

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/free/

If you'll all PC, this won't help, but it's a great little app. I also usually make Animation QT's, then drop them on this and watch as it spits out a much smaller (bit-wise) QT with very good quality. I also have good luck using MPEG Streamclip.

Ron

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave EdwardsRe: Newbie Query : Exporting from Avid
by on May 8, 2012 at 6:59:19 am

Thanks, Ron: am 100% P.C. sadly!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter