Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AVID:Avid Editing ForumAvid Editing TutorialsAvid Editing Basics ForumAvid Liquid ForumAvid Liquid TutorialsAvid VideoRAID ForumAvid

Custom Metadata Via AMA Linking

COW Forums : AVID

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Ben MillsCustom Metadata Via AMA Linking
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 5:54:38 pm

Hi there,

I am looking to use custom metadata on files linked via AMA.

I have alot of clips (all QTs) and need to import custom tags to each clips. The clips have been logged and tagged with appropriate keywords depending on their content. I have a list of these in an excel spreadsheet.

Is there anyway I can apply these tags to a new column in bulk? I would like to do this to the AMA clips before transcoding so the transcoded clip will also contain the new custom metadata.

I've tried importing an amended ALE but naturally I have to Batch Import and it's asking me to locate each individual file even though they're all in the same folder.

I really hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael PhillipsRe: Custom Metadata Via AMA Linking
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 10:14:02 pm

If the ALE is properly prepared you should be able to merge the ALE into the existing AMA linked clips. Check the online user guide for the ALE import options, "merge" is one of them. There's also a thread on a similar topic not too far down on this forum.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ben MillsRe: Custom Metadata Via AMA Linking
by on May 2, 2012 at 9:15:48 am

Hi Michael,

I have tried doing the following.....

Export an ALE for the bin containing my AMA clips,
opening the ALE in excel,
adding in my own custom columns and data,
saving back out as a tab delim file
running through Avid Log Exchange with clean and relaxed checked (the only way it will work),
try to merge with AMA clips.

I keep getting an error for every entry when trying to merge the ALE with my AMA clips, then at the end of each error message, avid crashes!

I've tried both exporting an ALE, editing it and reimporting that, as well as going the ALE > excel > Tab Delim > Avid Log Exchange route.

When I try the ALE > excel > ALE route, the ALE appears to go in fine but I cannot find my new columns of data anywhere and I've even tried importing while on the Custom Bin view, but still the new columns do not show!

All my frame rates match correctly, there doesn't seem to be any anomalies in the way the clips are named.

I really don't want to have to go down the copy and paste each field route as there is set to be a lot of material!

Hope you can help,

Ben

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael PhillipsRe: Custom Metadata Via AMA Linking
by on May 2, 2012 at 10:56:57 am

The first test to try is importing your new ALE directly into a bin with the first setting active to see if it even works in the most basic sense. This can give you more clues as to issues with the ALE itself. I have found with Excel back to TAB that some of the "line returns" are not there. I usually open up in TextWrangler on a Mac or similar on a PC to look at the file with invisible characters active to for sleuthing...

If you're still having troubles, I may have some time to give to give it a quick peek tomorrow if you want to send bin with AMA clips and the Excel/File zipped up and send to michael(at)24p(dot)com

If you do, let me know you did via this thread in case it goes to spam.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ben MillsRe: Custom Metadata Via AMA Linking
by on May 2, 2012 at 11:43:20 am

Hi Michael,

I've tried importing the ALE directly after amending in excel as Maintain events as logged to see if it would even bring the clips in, but still no joy.

I'll drop you an email now with the ALE and bin etc.

Many Thanks for helping out,

Ben

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]