Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AVID:Avid Editing ForumAvid Editing TutorialsAvid Editing Basics ForumAvid Liquid ForumAvid Liquid TutorialsAvid VideoRAID ForumAvid

Glitch Importing MTSFiles into MC5.5

COW Forums : AVID

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
James EckhouseGlitch Importing MTSFiles into MC5.5
by on Apr 24, 2012 at 9:05:22 pm

Running MC 5.5. Shot about 60 clips (all under 2 minutes) on my DP's Panasonic GH2. Moved the MTS files onto my hard drive. started imorting into Avid. some files would import fine - but several caused error messages OR the entire program to crash. very weird. tried doing it directly off of the camera. same deal. a few files worked but then one would crash the program. we played the files from the camera on our tv monitor - they worked fine. so the files aren't corrupted. but for some reason MC won't import them. tried changing the import settings - but didn't help - and anyway - the settings worked for about half of the files so I doubt the settings in the import options is the problem. I shut down the machine overnight. and oddly i was able to import one of the files that had crashed yestereday. but then other files started to get the error messages (FATAL_ERROR:assertion failed)or the crash of the program.
tried forums, avid site, panasonic site, etc. No avail. anyone here can help!!
thank you in advance for your time
James

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Robert BrownRe: Glitch Importing MTSFiles into MC5.5
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 8:23:50 pm

Could be numerous things. You could try uninstall reinstall of MC. Or if possible install MC on another computer and try that. Or maybe youll need to transcode externally. I think automatic duck will do that and should be free.
Also how did you import the mts files? Were you able to click on the root folder or did you have to point to the actual mts file?

Robert Brown
Editor/VFX/Colorist - FCP, Smoke, Quantel Pablo, After Effects, 3DS MAX, Premiere Pro

http://vimeo.com/user3987510/videos

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James EckhouseRe: Glitch Importing MTSFiles into MC5.5
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 10:21:47 pm

Thanks Robert,
I tried pointing to the files numerous ways. 1st I simply put all the mts files in a folder on my scratch disk, then I hooked the camera directly and pointed to them on the camera, and then finally i moved them again onto the hardrive but with the folder structure from the cards as well (private/avchd/bdmv/stream...etc.) Same result - some would import, some made the system crash...at any rate - too impatient to reinstall MC (!). Found a program on web: "ClipWrap". It somehow 'unwraps' the MTS file and turns it into an MOV file - supposedly without any resolution loss. I put this out there for anyone else encountering the problem. Program was free when using clips under a minute (mine were all establishing shots of LA - short clips) and it seems to be working! Didn't need to use a program that actually transcodes. James

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 27, 2012 at 3:41:54 am

Check this out.

http://www.automaticduck.com/products/pefcp/#

This used to be a $500 plugin but now it's free. I think it does require FCP though.
Anyway I was curious though. Were you able to point to the root folder of the mts file to
import or do you have to actually point to the .mts file. I'm just curious as I've only been able
in Avid to import but pointing exactly to the mts file which is a major pain. I've been
trying to find an answer to this but I can't seem to find it.

Robert Brown
Editor/VFX/Colorist - FCP, Smoke, Quantel Pablo, After Effects, 3DS MAX, Premiere Pro

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 27, 2012 at 4:12:53 am

disclaimer - I am really just getting familiar w. Avid so I'm generally lumbering about trying to do anything! in this case - had to shoot extra footage for a short I directed (I have a pro editor but he is swamped with pilots so i am kind of doing as much on my own and then sending him bins) hired a dp who shot on his very niftily hacked panasonic GH2. (better quality than a 5D mark III!) I had my laptop (windows)at the shoot so we transferred ONLY the MTS files and I took it home. then using a usb stick - I transferred the files (around 75)from my laptop to my MAC in batches. kinda dumb but I got there. I put the files on the same drive as all my MXF files but of course a seperate folder. again - only the MTS files themselves - didn't replicate the file structure from his P2 card. In avid, made a new bin, right clicked, hit 'import', and got to the folder with the mts files. Now - i shift clicked a whole bunch at one time. but then i got error messages. thought it was because i was trying to do too many but that of course had nothing to do with the crashing and error messages. Still don't know what causes this. I think Avid just hasn't figured out the transcoding from MTS very well. If there is any kind of data glitch in the mts file it must not be able to handle it. anyway. after hours on line i found that program - 'clipwrap' - (tried to understand what 'wrapping' the file means.) I then converted all the clips that were giving me problems into the MOV format. back into avid - hit import again - and went to the newly formed MOV files. those i could shift click the entire batch (about 20) and it imported them in. (took about 2 minutes per file. they were very small clips - mostly under a minute each. now i don't know what you mean about pointing to the folder - but it is easy (if your transcoding doesn't hang up) to just select all the files in the import browser. maybe you mean that you are doing it from the camera directly. something tells me it is better to get them on your machine first...enoough already - I'll stop! and the automatic duck looks great - particularly for getting FCP into Avid.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 27, 2012 at 4:51:41 am

Thanks, I've got a big project for a buddy of mine he shot with GH2s and 5Ds. I've been trying it in Premiere and the performance has been really crappy. So I'm exploring my options and all of his GH2 stuff still has the original folder structure. So far the only thing I've found that deals with that well is FCP log and capture. All you have to do is point to the top folder and it goes straight to the MTS file. I might experiment with Automatic Duck which will re-wrap or convert to Avid media and see if there is a direct path from MTS to Avid media without having to point to the MTS files. That is my quest, wish me luck.

P.S. I've used Clipwrap too, it's a good thing to have.

Robert Brown

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 27, 2012 at 2:34:55 pm

well good luck first! for the record - I had started on FCP but I am beginning to really like Avid. Never used Premiere. sounds like FCP is the easiest to load the MTS files into....
Love to know thoughts on a different matter - i see that you are a colorist - I shot my original scenes on Panavision 35. (Was a lot of fun and probably the last chance I'll have to do that.)Now shooting the extra footage on the GH2 as well as the 5D. opening montage stuff... Need to match the look of the 35 as best as possible. Any tricks you might know???
thanks, J

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 27, 2012 at 4:10:01 pm

You'll probably need to grain it up a little. Sapphire has a nice film effect that simulates various stocks. I've found slightly blurring video and adding grain on top of that to give a nice film look. HDSLRs are so sharp and clean you kind of have to play with it to get it more organic. Also pulling down the saturation helps a lot. Check out Video Copilot. Andrew Kramer has a lot of things he does to create nice film looks.

Robert Brown

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]