Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AVID:Avid Editing ForumAvid Editing TutorialsAvid Editing Basics ForumAvid Liquid ForumAvid Liquid TutorialsAvid VideoRAID ForumAvid

709 scale RGB for web

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
stig olsen709 scale RGB for web
by on Apr 19, 2012 at 10:48:48 am

Hi,

Maybe a bit out of topic, but I guess this affect us all in some way.

I mainly keep the material 709 all the way through Avid, compositing software and grading before delivery for both TV and web.

For final delivery the clients want the film delivered in mpeg4 and there will be a need for a "709 to RGB" scaling to avoid the flat and dull look.

For those who are not using smoke or flame for final output. What is the best way? Sorenson Squeeze do not provide a 709 to RGB "button", only some filters that work asdifferent as the material.

How do you deal with this?

Stig

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael PhillipsRe: 709 scale RGB for web
by on Apr 19, 2012 at 1:08:00 pm

I export the QT reference out as RGB so it scales at that point, then make all my deliverables from there.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

stig olsenRe: 709 scale RGB for web
by on Apr 19, 2012 at 1:12:15 pm

I have tried that too, but for some reason the video from Sorenson gives me some white blanking throughout the whole video. I guess its a codec thing, but everything is transcoded to dnx and exported same as source.

sorenson 7, mpeg 4

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 19, 2012 at 1:24:14 pm

Are you using mixed codecs or something? Make sure entire sequence is DNxHD to see if that helps by transcoding or doing a mixdown first.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 19, 2012 at 1:27:36 pm

It is just a single clip (dnxHD185) so it should be fine.
I did test the same clip in adobe media encoder and that works perfect. It has always been some issues with the mpeg4 encoding in Squeeze so I guess this is just another of them. Thanks anyway, mixdown probably works fine.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 19, 2012 at 1:49:07 pm

I was going to suggest Adobe Media Encoder next, as that is what I use and have not experienced the problem you are having.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Annaël BeaucheminRe: 709 scale RGB for web
by on Apr 20, 2012 at 3:48:37 pm

Btw, be careful with squeeze with versions before 8 when exporting H.264. The Mainconcept encoder takes 709 levels, not RGB. If you give it RGB, your .mp4 will look too contrasty (because levels are expanded twice). This has changed in v8 and now it takes RGB for about everything.

I still don't understand why after all these years Sorenson doesn't interpret levels correctly and/or won't let you choose to set it manualy.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 20, 2012 at 7:34:53 pm

Thank you guys!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy