Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AVID:Avid Editing ForumAvid Editing TutorialsAvid Editing Basics ForumAvid Liquid ForumAvid Liquid TutorialsAvid VideoRAID ForumAvid

avid symphony - dongle or license key?

COW Forums : AVID

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
klaus rodahlavid symphony - dongle or license key?
by on Apr 19, 2012 at 7:48:58 am

Do you have to buy a Avid with a dongle or can you just use a license key? What are the pros and cons of both?

best regards
klaus

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael PhillipsRe: avid symphony - dongle or license key?
by on Apr 19, 2012 at 1:26:38 pm

For me, I like to keep dongles on the systems that don't travel and a license key on the laptops. Mainly so I don't them and they don't break off when on the road by accident. In the studio, I like moving dongles around as needed. There are different reasons for different situations.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

klaus rodahlRe: avid symphony - dongle or license key?
by on Apr 19, 2012 at 5:48:06 pm

Thanks Michael

Klaus

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Glenn SakatchRe: avid symphony - dongle or license key?
by on Apr 19, 2012 at 7:02:58 pm

I was looking at dongles after the fact. They cost about 300 bucks i think. Not sure if you can get one for free with a new purchase. I was leary of the license system at first, but once you get it set on a couple of machines, it is very fast to deactivate from one box, and activate onto another.

Glenn

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 19, 2012 at 7:16:38 pm

The software license works well as along as everything is working well. But some upgrades require de-licensing first, some don't, and if your OS or disk fails for whatever reason, getting that license back is not quick or very straightforward. That is why many still like the dongle.

If there was user control over their licenses in the almighty cloud allowing the local client to have more flexibility, then it can actually improve over physical dongles. One of the last few patent filings I did while at Avid had a cool solution to this that perhaps one day might come to market.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Glenn SakatchRe: avid symphony - dongle or license key?
by on Apr 19, 2012 at 7:29:32 pm

True, i have uninstalled Avid, forgetting to deactivate first. Then had to call up tech support and get them
to deactivate it for me. I think it was v5.0, and i didn't have the license manager in my applications folder.

Glenn

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 21, 2012 at 2:50:27 am

A recent example of what you describe:
http://community.avid.com/forums/t/108462.aspx

Software licensing just needs additional TLC until a "cloud" version of authorization comes to market and implemented.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]