Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AVID:Avid Editing ForumAvid Editing TutorialsAvid Editing Basics ForumAvid Liquid ForumAvid Liquid TutorialsAvid VideoRAID ForumAvid

Imported .avi, waited an hour for it to convert, all i got was

COW Forums : AVID

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
David GhastImported .avi, waited an hour for it to convert, all i got was
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 4:16:33 am

Im new to avid but not to editing, ive never dealt with a editing program that forces a certain format so im not sure what to do. It took an hour to convert to mxf (using only 20% of my processor, yikes)and then told me i could not import the mxf file into a bin. I opened up the media tool and got to it to import, but then it tells me sources cant load into the monitor. I read up on mxf, its a open video format like anything else so i dont get why exactly avid is requiring a format that it wont accept.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Imported .avi, waited an hour for it to convert, all i got was
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 6:35:23 am

Can you explain exactly how you converted? Use a third party app? Or import via Avid's import interface?

[David Ghast] " ive never dealt with a editing program that forces a certain format so im not sure what to do."

You can use one that doesn't require that...like Adobe Premiere. It deals with many formats natively. I use it when I have to deal with difficult source formats, like AVI files from producers flip cameras.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Pepijn KlijsRe: Imported .avi, waited an hour for it to convert, all i got was
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 9:33:02 am

Would love to help out but there is soem things I don't understand in your post... The subject was importing an .avi file, but in the post you mention mxf.

On the mxf though... What you can try is use the AMA link to file function to read it within the avid. Then you can transcode it to the correct format. Other option is to import the file into your bin. If those things don't work you can manually put it in your avid mediafiles folder. Avid will detect new added files and scan the mediafiles folder. After that your clip should appear in the media tool.

Good luck

Avid/FCP Editor, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://www.pepijnklijs.nl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David GhastRe: Imported .avi, waited an hour for it to convert, all i got was
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 6:36:22 pm

Hi, so what i did was open a new project, then i went to import-> and imported an avi (it was in lagarith), which caused avid to automatically start transcoding it to mxf. Once it finished it my avi was in the bin, but when i put it on the timeline it was blank, although its duration was correct. I found the .mxf files it created and tried importing them, but it wouldnt let me until i tried through the media tool, but when i attemtped to drag them onto the timeline it told me i couldnt.

So how do you import media into avid? I've read the manual on importing and it doesnt say any more than ive already done.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 12, 2012 at 6:40:24 pm

Apparently the AVI is of a codec you cannot read. As it shows up as WHITE. Avid will transcode video, but if the codec isn't readable, it comes in as white.

You will have to find some app that will read the AVI files, and allow you to convert/export them as a format that the Avid can import properly.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 12, 2012 at 6:50:36 pm

So i need an mxf converter...If avid's own mxf converter cant convert to a format avid can accept then how am i supposed to find one that does? That doesnt make any sense.

And there's nothing in the 1500 page manual that says anything about how to import files beyond the simple import dialogue, and on top of that it says it accepts MXF file when clearly its telling me it doesnt.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 12, 2012 at 7:27:47 pm

[David Ghast] "So i need an mxf converter...If avid's own mxf converter cant convert to a format avid can accept then how am i supposed to find one that does?"

NO no no no no. You need a converter to convert the AVI file...NOT the MXF file you created within Avid. You need something that can see the AVI file...read it...view it...and then convert that to a format that the Avid can then import.

You see, not every computer can read every AVI codec. There are several that your computer might not be able to see. And if your computer can't see it, Avid can't see it. So you need to find something that will see it, and convert it to something that allows your computer to see it, so Avid can see it.

[David Ghast] "And there's nothing in the 1500 page manual that says anything about how to import files beyond the simple import dialogue,"

There's either that Import, or AMA. Those are the two options. But again, if the codec is of a type Avid cannot read, you will get nothing.

[David Ghast] " and on top of that it says it accepts MXF file when clearly its telling me it doesnt."

It does. You are just doing it wrong. Avid won't import the MXF it creates by dragging it from the finder, or Importing it into a bin. That's now how Avid works. If it is an MXF file in the MXF file structure, you use Media Tool to access it. You are trying to make an Avid do something it isn't designed to do when you try to import the MXF files the way you are attempting.

SImple thing is, you need to convert the AVI files into something your computer can see, for then the Avid can see it and import it.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 12, 2012 at 7:38:18 pm

I tried converting uncompressed and it worked fine, apparently avids encoder cant read a majority of codecs out there, which means you have to do an intermediate encode to uncompressed before doing an intermediate encode to mxf. Brilliant.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]