Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AVID:Avid Editing ForumAvid Editing TutorialsAvid Editing Basics ForumAvid Liquid ForumAvid Liquid TutorialsAvid VideoRAID ForumAvid

MC6 and Blackmagic performance

COW Forums : AVID

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Rob TinworthMC6 and Blackmagic performance
by on Mar 19, 2012 at 3:03:09 am

While it's great that MC6 has opened up Avid to third party hardware, I'm not getting anything like the performance I'd expect running Avid MC6 with a Blackmagic Multibridge Pro. Scrubbing is a little sticky and trimming is super sticky.

Switching off the external monitor returns scrubbing and trimming to smooth as a hot knife through butter, so the block is the video I/O not the drives.

Is anybody else finding MC6 sticky with third party I/O? Or is this unique to my setup?

Rob

Rob Tinworth
http://www.1021.tv

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Pat HorridgeRe: MC6 and Blackmagic performance
by on Mar 19, 2012 at 8:05:28 am

I think it's still early days for the 3rd party I/O solutions and Avids DX boxes fly in comparison.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael PhillipsRe: MC6 and Blackmagic performance
by on Mar 19, 2012 at 10:43:26 am

It will be interesting to see the difference in performance between third party I/O vendors to see what is common or not between them. Based on that, one will be able to tell whether these limitations are in the third party implementation or the SDK itself from Avid. There are known limitations already listed in the Knowledgebase. Still early days, will be interesting to see what is served up in the second round.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Neil PatienceRe: MC6 and Blackmagic performance
by on Mar 19, 2012 at 1:48:21 pm

Yes early days for this but its a great addition.

I have a test set-up on an older MacPro with a Kona 3 running Lion and Avid 6.01

I have only used it on smallish projects and a timeline of a couple of layers here and there and 12 - 15 mins tops. So nothing too taxing to come to any real solid conclusions.

I use MC and Symphony on everything from Mojo's to Nitris depending on where I am working so am used the to performance there. That said I was pleasantly suprised at the speed and smoothness of moving around the timeline with the Kona and trimming seems fine - again on a pretty basic level.

I am looking towards Blackmagic for Resolve so its interesting to hear your experiences.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 19, 2012 at 2:16:40 pm

I use a Blackmagic as well and for the most part, it works well other than the listed limitations as well as things like dual trim mode on the client monitor etc. But hopefully those things will get added to the SDK so third parties can implement and take advantage of them.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Neil GoodmanRe: MC6 and Blackmagic performance
by on Mar 19, 2012 at 2:42:56 pm

On 10.6.8 i have the same laggy trimming and scrubbing, mostly with the caps lock key on. This is with the deckling extreme HD 2.

At home on 10.7.2 everything is pretty smooth and snappy with the intensity extreme. It works just as smooth as my nitris at work with MC 4.

Seems like those drivers are geared more for lion now.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John PaleRe: MC6 and Blackmagic performance
by on Mar 19, 2012 at 3:23:00 pm

I have the Decklink Studio 2. Performance is generally very good with driver 9.0...I have had problems with 9.1 and 9.2, that render it unusable to me. Even with 9.0, there is an annoying bug...I get a crash with audio only files loaded into the source monitor with scrubbing turned on (caps lock).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 19, 2012 at 4:58:22 pm

Yes, CAPS LOCK is a killer in all these scenarios. A perfect example of where does the issue lie:? The playback pipeline, the SDK, or the implementation of the SDK or a little of all three?

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John PaleRe: MC6 and Blackmagic performance
by on Mar 19, 2012 at 9:12:34 pm

"Yes, CAPS LOCK is a killer in all these scenarios. A perfect example of where does the issue lie:? The playback pipeline, the SDK, or the implementation of the SDK or a little of all three? "

I don't I have first hand knowledge but I have heard that AJA does not have these issues, only Blackmagic and Matrox.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 19, 2012 at 11:14:05 pm

Good to know, perhaps someone with AJA hardware will chime in with their experiences.

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eduardo SerranoRe: MC6 and Blackmagic performance
by on Mar 20, 2012 at 1:37:26 am

I have the same sluggish issue both with caps lock and in trim mode with my matrox MXO2 mini. It renders the unit basically unusable.

Also, I have a sync problem between my various audio meters within avid.

The interesting thing is that matrox has an even older partnership with the MC team than AJA. Well, let's see if any AJA user chimes in with his impression.

Ed.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex ElkinsRe: MC6 and Blackmagic performance
by on Mar 20, 2012 at 2:26:11 pm

[Michael Phillips] "perhaps someone with AJA hardware will chime in with their experiences"

I have a Kona 3 in my system and I have not experienced sluggishness at all, albeit on fairly simple projects. I'd actually go as far as saying that responsiveness is better than I'm used to in FCP.

Alex Elkins
Twitter: @postbluetv
http://www.postblue.tv
Post Blue showreel
Latest work: Greyhounds in Motion at 500fps
My Vimeo Pro page

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 26, 2012 at 6:02:21 pm

I've just found this post from Marianna (avid) on the PC side of the avid forums.
It seems Avid is aware of the issue but is very far from a fix.

Folks..........

The basic architecture of MC 6 is completely different than that of the 5.5 and earlier code base. Most notable is the 64 bit architecture and the Open I/O. In 5.5 for example, the MXO2 was using the DIO interfaces, similar to what Adrenaline and Mojo SDI used.

But Open I/O uses the same interfaces as Nitris DX.

The problem is that during normal scrub, color correction, and trim modes, we send a single frame to tell the I/O device to stop. Some respond immediately to that stop command and some take a little longer. We do have a long-term architectural fix but it won’t be coming soon which is why Matrox has been tweaking their driver to provided those with the MX02 better performance.

Marianna

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matt OsborneRe: MC6 and Blackmagic performance
by on Mar 20, 2012 at 10:33:34 pm

Yes - http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/45/884680

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ray ChungRe: MC6 and Blackmagic performance
by on Mar 22, 2012 at 6:42:17 am

I have the same setup...MC6 and a Multibridge Pro. I've only dabbled a bit, as I'm still finishing a feature edit in FCP and want it done before starting up a new project in Avid getting my old Avid chops back. But so far, the only apparent issue is the set lag/latency of about 1-2 frames when playing a 1080p sequence....even with various 'frame delay' settings. Apparently it's inherent to the LCD monitor itself, which in my case is a JVC DT-V20L1U via HDMI. But...the monitor does have a stereo RCA audio in/out, so it might internally adjust the audio to the frame delay, and I can route the audio back into another channel on my audio monitor controller.

Any way you look at it though, there will always be an offset between the computer monitor/timeline and the output monitor, unlike in FCP where you can adjust the output offset to match the two. Working with the Multibridge output on in FCP wasn't exactly super-smooth or responsive either...not like a Nitris/Mojo with Avid or even a Pinnacle and FCP from some years back. But if the Multibridge with Avid is at least like it was with FCP, I'll be used to the speed. If it's even slower...I might have to start looking elsewhere.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Pat HorridgeRe: MC6 and Blackmagic performance
by on Mar 22, 2012 at 7:40:55 am

I have a loan Decklink HD Extreme 3D card and got it installed last night on my Z800. Annoying that I now have an unknown device lurking in the device manager after all the BM driver installed fine. But everything seems to work so it's not a problem.
I only had time to check MCV6 could see it and Resolve could see it and initial tests with both seem to look encouraging.
On the Avid side an LG monitor on the HDMI out looks very odd in anything other then full quality mode. Loads of stepping across the picture which the component SD monitor doesn't show. But in full quality it looks good. Nice that I can have SD PAL commponent out and HDMI and HD_SDI output at the same time.
Seems responsive so far.
Next we start testing on the range of codec support round tripping from Avid to Resolve and then the level of effect support.
When we have a robust workflow we'll start on some teaching notes and we plan to have a cource available to help editors fast track the pitfalls.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph MastantuonoRe: MC6 and Blackmagic performance
by on Mar 23, 2012 at 11:14:17 pm

Joining the Parade of folks with this same issue.

definitely have the bandwith/processing power.

MacPro 09, Decklink Extreme 3d, project is AMA/Pro-res.

Joseph Mastantuono
http://www.goodpost.net
Color Grading & Post Production Consulting

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 24, 2012 at 2:48:32 pm

Last time I mesured, it was 14 frames of delay between the audio meters. Picture wise, the trim tool is really sluggish, like if you advance a frame it takes 5 seconds to comply.

So, it's definitely not the lcd panel buffer, it's something deeper.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph MastantuonoRe: MC6 and Blackmagic performance
by on Mar 24, 2012 at 7:47:34 pm

Strangely (I'm assuming Eduardo is having the same issue), and what makes me believe that this is at the program level, rather than any issue with my config or the driver level, is that scrubbing & source->record edits are instantaneous, it's only trims & and direct timeline manipulation.

Joseph Mastantuono
http://www.goodpost.net
Color Grading & Post Production Consulting

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]