Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AVID:Avid Editing ForumAvid Editing TutorialsAvid Editing Basics ForumAvid Liquid ForumAvid Liquid TutorialsAvid VideoRAID ForumAvid

Can I run the software based Media Composer 6 a new iMac or Mac Mini?

COW Forums : AVID

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Hugh HaynieCan I run the software based Media Composer 6 a new iMac or Mac Mini?
by on Feb 20, 2012 at 3:17:29 am

Can I run the software based Media Composer 6 a new iMac or mac Mini?
The iMac or Mac Minis I'm looking are the 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 units.

-H

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard SanchezRe: Can I run the software based Media Composer 6 a new iMac or Mac Mini?
by on Feb 20, 2012 at 6:15:32 am

Check the Avid Compatibility Matrix.

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=267087

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Hugh HaynieRe: Can I run the software based Media Composer 6 a new iMac or Mac Mini?
by on Feb 20, 2012 at 6:46:17 am

Thanks. I'm not shooting the messinger here,
the chart clarifies everything for the mac mini, but the iMac models don't match the latest iMacs available on the apple site. for example, the processor speeds don't match what current offerings.

-H

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Glenn L SmithRe: Can I run the software based Media Composer 6 a new iMac or Mac Mini?
by on Feb 21, 2012 at 5:04:17 pm

I have a Mid 2011 21.5 iMac with the base model specifications and Avid MC6 runs great on it. I upgraded to 12Gb RAM recently just to help with intensive processes and so I can run other programs faster and at a cost of only £30 its a brilliant upgrade.

One thing to remember if you get an iMac is to change the colour profile when editing as the results you see on the screen may not be anything near what you may see on other PC screens, or broadcast monitors.

If you do buy from Apple don't get their RAM upgrades as they are massively overpriced for what you can achieve through manual installation after purchase.

I hope this helps!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Hugh HaynieRe: Can I run the software based Media Composer 6 a new iMac or Mac Mini?
by on Feb 21, 2012 at 6:00:27 pm

this does help. thank you.
what are the specs on your Mid 2011 21.5 iMac?

-Hugh

-H

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Glenn L SmithRe: Can I run the software based Media Composer 6 a new iMac or Mac Mini?
by on Feb 21, 2012 at 6:11:58 pm

My iMac is the base model which came with:

2.5GHz Quad Core Intel Core i5 (sandy bridge) processor
1920 x 1080 resolution
4GB (two 2GB) memory
500GB hard drive
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB

Its the exact one they offer now, all I did was upgrade the RAM after purchase.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 21, 2012 at 7:03:27 pm

Thank you again, Glenn! ! !

-H

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Glenn SakatchRe: Can I run the software based Media Composer 6 a new iMac or Mac Mini?
by on Feb 21, 2012 at 8:12:20 pm

Its a free trial download...try It and see how it works

Glenn

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Wilky BlackRe: Can I run the software based Media Composer 6 a new iMac or Mac Mini?
by on Mar 23, 2012 at 12:51:03 am

Are you using the enternal hard drive for your media?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:11:57 am

of course not, but thanks for asking.

i was digging up these facts for a friend.

-H

-H

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Wilky BlackRe: Can I run the software based Media Composer 6 a new iMac or Mac Mini?
by on Mar 23, 2012 at 4:06:24 pm

sorry, i should have been a little more clear.
can i use the internal hard drive or do i have to get external raid drives?

thanks for your knowledge

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 23, 2012 at 4:52:57 pm

.. you're asking me. my apologies

you can store your media on the internal drive,
but I wouldn't recommend it. Get an external drive with firewire800 connection or thunderbolt if you have a newer mac mini, and digitize/import and store your media on the external drive. your mac will thank you for it in the long run and may run a bit quicker.

plus you can take your project to another system if all of your media is stored on the external drive.

-H

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 23, 2012 at 7:43:55 pm

cool, thanks so much for the input, one more question. what kind of external drive are you using?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 23, 2012 at 7:55:49 pm

not using a mac mini. don't have one.
i was doing research for a friend.

however i use a 1 TB G-Technology G-DRIVE on my old power mac to run MC 2.8 and it's great.

-H

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]