Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AVID:Avid Editing ForumAvid Editing TutorialsAvid Editing Basics ForumAvid Liquid ForumAvid Liquid TutorialsAvid VideoRAID ForumAvid

Codecs

COW Forums : AVID

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Lloyd Paul RiversCodecs
by on Dec 12, 2011 at 9:01:01 pm

I am trying to use clips from a film to show various shots and techniques in university. When i put the whole movie into media composer the disk spins killing my imac. i put the film into final cut to see if i could cut the scenes i wanted to. i exported them and tried linking to ama but it would work.

The codec is h.264 linear PCM timecode

i put it through hand break just in desperation and it change it to h.264 AAC (i don't understand the difference) it now links in avid but it plays very jagged.

im a newby to codecs/editing any help would be appreciated.
Many Thanks
Lloyd Rivers

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Codecs
by on Dec 12, 2011 at 10:41:49 pm

H.264 isn't really an editing format. It is a delivery codec...final output, because it is highly compressed FCP will try, but will struggle. Avid might totally freeze up. Handbrake won't make things better.

Adobe Premiere will work with the files, but really only if you have a beefy computer and a graphics card that is powerful and is CUDA enabled to enable the MERCURY ENGINE in Premiere. Because, again, this is a complex and highly compressed format.

If you want to use footage in Avid Media Composer, you will need to transcode it to an Avid format. AMA to bring it in, then transcode...or IMPORT and transcode. DNxHD if this is an HD size H.264. 2:1 MXF if this is an SD format.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lloyd Paul RiversRe: Codecs
by on Dec 14, 2011 at 11:36:47 am

Whats the best way to get a dvd into avid? i have an exercise to do for uni

Many Thanks
Lloyd Rivers

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Codecs
by on Dec 14, 2011 at 3:38:44 pm

Use Mpeg Streamclip to concert to DNxHD QuickTime.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]