Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AVID:Avid Editing ForumAvid Editing TutorialsAvid Editing Basics ForumAvid Liquid ForumAvid Liquid TutorialsAvid VideoRAID ForumAvid

EX1 to AVID MC 4.0

COW Forums : AVID

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Ross SpearsEX1 to AVID MC 4.0
by on Aug 12, 2010 at 4:45:42 pm

After a lifetime of shooting everything on film, I have recently shifted to HD video and I am having transition issues! My specific question is what is the best way to import clips shot with my EX1 camera, shot at 35 mbps, into my new AVID Media Composer 4.0. I have read conflicting accounts of compatibility of AVID and EX1, particularly 35 mbps. Is there anyone out there willing to suggest the best way to import this kind of footage? Note: I also need it to be compatible in the AVID with footage from my Sony HDV camera! I would very much appreciate help!

Never Give Up

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ross SpearsRe: EX1 to AVID MC 4.0
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 3:02:55 pm

Further along now.... I have discovered that I can get the clips from the EX1 to show up in a bin on my AVID in glorious HD. Now I am confused about where to find the FAM transfer command/tool. Any answers out there? Thanks.

Never Give Up

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew McKeeRe: EX1 to AVID MC 4.0
by on Aug 15, 2010 at 2:27:26 pm

With XDCAM footage all you need to do is drag the BPAV folders from your SxS cards into folders that read "Card 1", "Card 2" etc on your media drive using Explorer or Finder. You can then use go to File->Link To Ama Volume in Avid and then select the folder that contains the "Card 1", "Card 2" folders. This will bring all the footage in and then you can edit away. The only thing you need to do to import HDV footage into the same project is first change the raster (in the Format tab of your project window) to 1440x1080 and then just capture.

Alternatively I believe you can connect an EX1 to Avid using firewire and it will downcovert the footage to HDV so you can use the capture tool and it will then be the same as all your HDV footage. But usually this is unnecessary and just a function designed for people stuck in their ways with capturing.

Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 19, 2010 at 12:51:47 am

Thanks Andy,

What you suggested worked very well -- up to a point. I managed to get all the footage into one bin in the AVID project that I am working on. And I can edit with them fine. However, all of the clips are yellowish in tint, which I believe means that they are not yet in AVID storage? What would be the next step? I have tried relink, and it hasn't worked yet. There must be some tool that I am overlooking?

Also, all of the long takes that I shot, and it was an interview so there are several long ones, the long takes will play the sound but not the picture until I make subclips of them. What is that about?

Thanks so much for your assitance so far. I was tearing my hair out and couldn't find any documentation that helped!

Ross

Never Give Up

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 19, 2010 at 7:42:16 am

Clips brought in via AMA do appear yellow in your bin yes but this is not necessarily a problem unless you encounter performance problems. It is yellow because basically Avid is saying "this is not an mxf inside my Avid Media folder", but it can still play and edit and if the folder you linked to is on your media drive then there is nothing to worry about. This way of working really is going to take over so get used to it. I mean whats the point in duplicating all your footage using an import and negating the speed of your tapeless acquisition if your editor can handle the files that come straight off the camera? Your longer takes not playing video is a bit more of a mystery. Not sure what's going on there. Maybe it would be worth transcoding those clips to DNxHD?

Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

ronn kilbyRe: EX1 to AVID MC 4.0
by on Sep 1, 2010 at 2:46:51 pm

When using AMA, you have to clip> consolidate when you're finished editing. It will essentially create new media for what it needs based on your sequence, but nothing that you don't need. Go to HELP and type in consolidate.

http://www.kilby.tv

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 25, 2012 at 6:28:46 pm

Is it important that the BPAV folders continue to be named BPAV?

Thanks, Ross

Never Give Up

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 26, 2012 at 2:18:45 am

I am still having a huge problem getting the shots from my S xS cards to show up in my AVID. Here is my question: when I drag the BPAV folder from the EX-1 camera onto the Harddrive of the AVID computer, where do I put the folder??? Someone said to put the BPAV folder into folders named Card 1 and Card 2, etc. But where do I put them? Inside the Avid Media Files folder??? Just into the Harddrive in general? Neither place seems to work. When I try to link using the Link to Volume command or the Link to Files command, it does not allow me to do so..

I need a simple -- very simple -- step by step description of how to go about getting footage from the EX-1 camera (S x S cards) into the AVID. Could someone please help with that????

I (we) would be sooooo grateful!

Ross

Never Give Up

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 26, 2012 at 8:45:54 am

The BPAV folders can be anywhere on your media drive, they don't have to be in the Avid MediaFiles folder. I also put them in folders called Card 01, Card 02 to keep them organised. If your working in MC4 then you don't need to install any plugins, you should just be able to go to Link to AMA Volume and then point it to one of the folders named Card 01/02 etc. Don't go looking for the footage within those folders, Avid will look in the folder, see the BPAV folder and automatically find all the footage for you.

Andrew McKee
Editor/Colourist
Avid Certified Instructor - MC5.5
Apple Certified Trainer - FCPX
Pixelwizard.net

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 26, 2012 at 12:12:38 pm

OK, I have tried that but it doesn't seem to work. I am wondering if this could be a problem: When I first connected the EX-1 camera to the AVID, it immediately found the footage on the camera and would play it on the screen. The shots immediately were put into a bin and showed up there too. When I checked where it was located in the bin statistics, it showed that the footage was in "Camera." Could it be that because it has been absorbed into AVID in that way, that it will not allow me to now put the same BPAV folder into a Harddrive and find it there instead? Should I delete all the shots from the first bin and start over?

Thanks,

Ross Spears

Never Give Up

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]