Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AVID:Avid Editing ForumAvid Editing TutorialsAvid Editing Basics ForumAvid Liquid ForumAvid Liquid TutorialsAvid VideoRAID ForumAvid

4:3 footage to 1:9

COW Forums : AVID

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Stephen Fenn4:3 footage to 1:9
by on Jul 3, 2009 at 11:42:53 pm

I don't know if this is the right place for this question but suppose I have some old archive footage that is naturally 4:3. I need to put this in a 16:9 sequence. Normally I would put this in a frame to preserve the quality but I notice on some programmes they have managed to make it 16:9 size and keep the quality. Is this done by some clever computery means? What would be the ideal way of doing this (while not just blowing it up to 33%)?
Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Job ter BurgRe: 4:3 footage to 1:9
by on Jul 4, 2009 at 7:43:58 am

The quality of the scaler/ARC that is being used is the key part.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stephen FennRe: 4:3 footage to 1:9
by on Jul 4, 2009 at 8:44:14 am

Sorry, could you elaborate?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Job ter BurgRe: 4:3 footage to 1:9
by on Jul 4, 2009 at 6:30:50 pm

There are scalers and scalers. And then their are scalers.
See a Quantel iQ upscale an SD picture to HD and you will be amazed. See an LCD TV scale an HD signal to 1366xwhatever and you will be appalled. There's the Teranex type of hardware converters, as well as the small AJA boxes.
Then their are software scaling techniques, all of which differ in approach and result. Just recently, in 3.5, Avid changed their 2D scaling algorithm. Besides that, their 3D effects have a HQ mode, which uses yet another type of software scaling. If you use Boris UpRez, that can offer you another 5 or so upscaling types. Or other 3rd party solutions.
So if you are talking about converting aspect ratio on footage, you will be dealing with scalers, either scaling horizontally, vertically, or a mix of the two. The result is heavily depending on the quality of the scaler that is being used.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Amir AbedRe: 4:3 footage to 1:9
by on Jul 6, 2009 at 4:58:44 pm

Sorry I don't have the answer to the 4:3 to 1:9 question I just qanted to comment on [Job ter Burg] "See a Quantel iQ upscale an SD picture to HD and you will be amazed"

We use Quantel at work and upscaling any SD clip is so quick and simple and the quality really is amazing.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stephen FennRe: 4:3 footage to 1:9
by on Jul 7, 2009 at 12:30:30 pm

"Just recently, in 3.5, Avid changed their 2D scaling algorithm"

So, does that mean there is something in the avid software that will do this or is it a hardware thing?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]