Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AVID:Avid Editing ForumAvid Editing TutorialsAvid Editing Basics ForumAvid Liquid ForumAvid Liquid TutorialsAvid VideoRAID ForumAvid

XDCAM audio silent in timeline

COW Forums : AVID

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
David DeanXDCAM audio silent in timeline
by on May 26, 2009 at 11:51:34 pm

Hi, everyone... I'm working on my Media Composer with XDCAM footage for the first time. I don't know if that's pertinent, but my problem is that I can only hear the audio from my source clips if I edit them onto tracks A1 and A2 in the timeline. If I try to patch them into A3 or lower, they are not audible. If I drag a clip that I'm able to hear on A1 down to A3, I lose the audio. Now, it looks like I haven't LOST the audio -- the sample plot does show it -- but it just can't be heard on any other track but A1 & A2. Now, anything else -- music, external sound effects, scratch narration -- plays on any track just fine. It's just the source clips. It's just weird. Any thoughts? Thanks to all in advance.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David DeanRe: XDCAM audio silent in timeline
by on May 27, 2009 at 4:21:51 pm

Let me amend my post with something else that might be a clue. I've just tried an audio mixdown of two XDCAM tracks I cut directly into A1 and A2. The mixdown plays perfectly in all tracks. Does that help? Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John PaleRe: XDCAM audio silent in timeline
by on May 28, 2009 at 6:53:46 am

Sounds like you are set to Direct Out but your system does not have a mixer configured to work with multi-channel audio.
Go to your Audio Tool and set it for stereo...or set up your external mixer to properly monitor more than 2 channels of audio.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 28, 2009 at 6:52:28 am

Oh wait. You said other stuff plays fine. Obviously what I wrote is not correct. Sorry. Weird problem.

I have worked with XDCAM a great deal and never seen anything like that.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David DeanRe: XDCAM audio silent in timeline
by on May 29, 2009 at 4:04:57 am

Hey, guess what? It's not just me! Here's a post from the Avid forum, dated in March:

"I have been very excited about the new AMA-feature of MC3.5. It's a great way to access P2 and XDCAM EX-media!

However, my excitement has turned into disappointment in the last couple of days due to the discovery of two serious audio problems that are probably related.

1. When applying an audiosuite effect onto an AMA-linked clip the MC freezes. After downmixing the audio this works well. I have not had this confirmed from other users. Please report back!

2. This is the serious and almost unbelievable one! When editing with AMA-media from XDCAM EX it is not possible to move or edit the audio into other tracks than track 1 and 2. If the media ends up on other tracks than 1,2 it is MUTE! The wave forms show but playback is muted. This was pointed out to me by another user in this forum and I just confirmed it. More confirmations would be interesting.

I'd be very interested in confirmations on these two problems and especially would like to hear Avid's view on this. How is it possible that you have released this feature without finding these problems?! When will they be fixed? As of now AMA is a useless feature."

This fellow (in Sweden!) took the words right out of my mouth. Well, it seems that Avid checked it out and acknowledged the problem. They said in March that a fix would be forthcoming, but I've read nothing since. This is INCREDIBLY irritating and slows me down immeasurably, as I now have to do an audio mixdown of EVERY SINGLE CLIP I want to use in any track but A1 and A2 (good luck on that online, huh?). Thanks for responding, John, and if anyone else is having this problem and has a workaround solution, please let me know.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 29, 2009 at 9:20:29 pm

Sorry for your troubles. I have worked with XDCAM a great deal, but on pre-AMA systems....

Hopefully they get this bug fixed before I work on an "upgraded" system!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tony ManningRe: XDCAM audio silent in timeline
by on Nov 29, 2010 at 10:11:51 am

18 months down the line I am plagued by the same problem that you described. Trying to sync up 6 audio tracks while having to shift tracks so that audio can be heard on tracks 1 and 2 is mind-numbingly awful, as you have doubtless experienced. Was there ever a solution or viable workaround?

Hewlett-Packard Workstation xw8200
3Gb RAM
Avid Media Composer 3.5

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]