Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AVID:Avid Editing ForumAvid Editing TutorialsAvid Editing Basics ForumAvid Liquid ForumAvid Liquid TutorialsAvid VideoRAID ForumAvid

Using Avid Media Composer 3.5.1 with network users on a XSAN

COW Forums : AVID

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Marcel ClausUsing Avid Media Composer 3.5.1 with network users on a XSAN
by on May 20, 2009 at 12:15:03 pm

We use Avid Media Composer 3.5.1 on our OSX 10.5.6 clients in a XSAN environment.
When logging in on a client as a local user, we can use Avid MC without any problems. Our XSAN is read / write available for Avid.
Problems occur when trying to login with network credentials via our OSX 10.5.7 Open Directory. Avid starts up and the Licence Agreement appears. After agreeing, a non-closable window "File 'Avid Projects' not found." appears. Only a Force Quit will shutdown Avid after that.

This only happens with networking credentials.
Even if we make a network-user a local admin, the problems remain the same.

The APPEVENT.LOG in /Users/Shared/AvidMediaComposer/Avid FatalErrorReports, only shows lots of the the following messages;

Ready Application Ready for user
FataExcpt File 'Avid Projects' not found

Some googling showed up that this could be related to a bad install. I uninstalled Avid with the uninstaller and installed it again, without success.

Does anybody know if it actually is possible to use Avid with networkaccounts?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard SanchezRe: Using Avid Media Composer 3.5.1 with network users on a XSAN
by on May 20, 2009 at 10:23:28 pm

MC 3.5.1 isn't qualified with OSX 10.5.7 That could be an issue.

Richard Sanchez
North Hollywood, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marcel ClausRe: Using Avid Media Composer 3.5.1 with network users on a XSAN
by on May 25, 2009 at 9:19:32 am

I downgraded some clients to 10.5.6. The problems remain the same when using network-accounts.
When using a local admin, Avid works, even when saving on our XSAN storage. But when logging in with network-accounts, Avid starts up but can't be used because of an pop-up window in front that says "File 'Avid projects' not found". After closing this popup, it reopens immediately.

I uninstalled Avid with the uninstallers, repaired the permissions and installed 3.5.1. Do you have any suggestions I could try?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Wally SwansonRe: Using Avid Media Composer 3.5.1 with network users on a XSAN
by on Jun 17, 2009 at 5:08:58 pm

I have been wrestling with this issue since last fall when 3.1.x came out.

The problem is NOT 10.5.7. The problem has to do with how the Mac account profiles are being handled. I can successfully launch Media Composer on the same Macs using the Windows OS, authenticating against the same server with Windows roaming profiles. I can also successfully launch Media Composer under the Mac OS if a local account is used rather than a networked account.

Looks like this is an Apple issue. A similar condition exists for Adobe Acrobat ver.9. The resolution for Adobe is a convoluted system of symbolic links.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 18, 2009 at 2:25:23 pm

A followup and FYI, this bug is now reported to Apple. I'll try to keep updates posted. (Hard to believe this isn't affecting more facilities).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Renier De BeerRe: Using Avid Media Composer 3.5.1 with network users on a XSAN
by on Sep 2, 2009 at 11:27:18 am

HI there,

Is there any confirmation that this is a bug logged with Apple? That is, is there another forum etc, where I could get information this issue. I am trying to see if we could workaround this limitation.

Regards
Renier De Beer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 2, 2009 at 12:45:31 pm

This bug was indeed logged with Apple back in June of 2009. I have to say it was given what seems to me to be a half-hearted effort. They made no attempt to re-create the problem but requested a logged report from me which required forcing an unrelated failure, consequently engineering was unable to identify the issue. Given the FCP-Avid rivalry, Apple does not seem concerned.
Avid is also aware of the problem. The use of Mac-authenticated accounts is apparently not widespread, so not much interest has been generated. I manage an educational lab with 70 computers and a variety of software that requires flexible usage of space, hence my needs. It seems post houses and broadcasters just don't usually get quite so sophisticated or give up trying.
Both Apple and Avid need to hear from more customers. I had to cancel my planned upgrades for this fall.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]