Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AVID:Avid Editing ForumAvid Editing TutorialsAvid Editing Basics ForumAvid Liquid ForumAvid Liquid TutorialsAvid VideoRAID ForumAvid

separate video card necessary?

COW Forums : AVID

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Footbagginseparate video card necessary?
by on Jan 28, 2006 at 2:09:07 pm

I'd like to run xpress pro on a brand new non-certified machine. AMD dual-core 64 2.2ghz, 2 gigs ram, 320 gig Hard drive. I'm currently using the onboard NVidia GeForce 6100 graphix but no separate video card. Will AVID be able to run like this? I keep getting that problem where the video won't play but the frames still update during scrub. No problems capturing or exporting. So far I cannot find an NVidia driver that will work with the 6100 besides 81.98 . Does anyone know where I could find one? Is it just not possible to run AVID with no separate Video card? After effects works beautifully on this machine. Please Help if you can!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Oliver PetersRe: separate video card necessary?
by on Jan 28, 2006 at 9:10:19 pm

I'm not sure about your specific machine, but Xpress Pro will run on most standard configs. Make sure you don't have any windows overlapping the Composer window. Are you running dual monitors? If so, have you tried moving the Composer window into the other screen?

Also not sure about your dual-core 64-bit processor. This is definitely not a qualified machine and may not work at all. Avid applications are far more specific and less-forgiving of machine variations than Vegas or Premiere Pro, for example.

Sincerely,
Oliver

Oliver Peters
Post-Production & Interactive Media
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

FootbagginRe: separate video card necessary?
by on Jan 29, 2006 at 8:02:38 am

Thanks for the reply. I doubt it has anything to do with the processors. I've run AVID on athlons before without a glitch. Plus, the program is fully functional. It can import, export, render effects, even play, it just doesn't display the moving video. I'm totally convinced this is a software problem and I've seen that tons of other people on creative cow are having it. The frustrating thing is that the forum threads keep ending before a solution is reached. Everyone seems to feel that the problem is the NVIDIA driver. The problem there is that my machine won't operate on older NVIDIA drivers cuz it's brand new. I'm getting desperate for a solution. Can anyone help with this?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

TaeRe: separate video card necessary?
by on Jan 29, 2006 at 5:20:05 pm

I'll be getting a very similar machine in about a week. I'll let you know how mine runs. I will, however, have a dedicated video card. After getting such a powerful processor, I don't see the point in skimping on the videocard.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Oliver PetersRe: separate video card necessary?
by on Jan 29, 2006 at 5:43:36 pm

[Footbaggin] " I doubt it has anything to do with the processors. I've run AVID on athlons before without a glitch."

You may be right, but I wouldn't take this as a given. This is a dual-core 64-bit processor. Not the same as an AMD Athlon, for example.

"Plus, the program is fully functional. It can import, export, render effects, even play, it just doesn't display the moving video. I'm totally convinced this is a software problem and I've seen that tons of other people on creative cow are having it."

Did you check the issue of any overlapping windows? Have you checked on Avid's own forums? These may be more closely monitored by support staff. E-mail their customer advocate for additional help.

Sincerely,
Oliver

Oliver Peters
Post-Production & Interactive Media
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

FootbagginRe: separate video card necessary?
by on Jan 29, 2006 at 10:22:39 pm

Yeah, I've been all over their forums and these forums. Their support won't help because it's not an "AVID Certified Machine". I've certainly checked the window overlap. That usually makes it just not play at all for me, not just hold one frame. I'll buy a new video card, see if that fixes it. Thanks for trying.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Le CoyoteRe: separate video card necessary?
by on Jan 30, 2006 at 5:09:57 pm

have you tried reducing the "Video Performance" slider inside the Display config panel of windows? I've already had this bug with a particular computer once, though it was happening with QT and WMP.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

FootbagginPlayback Problem - Video won't play, just displays a still image.
by on Jan 30, 2006 at 5:46:16 pm

It's FIXED! As this was a very frustrating experience for me I wanted to make the subject line easily "searchable" for others. Most threads blame this problem on NVidia's Forceware driver. But many people on the forums complain they cannot find one that works. Because these particular threads often end before the solution is reached I will mention mine. It was absolutely an incompatibility with my motherboard's GeForce 6100 video chip. I don't know if the problem was that the chip was too new and the forceware versions required for it were not compatible with AVID or if the chip itself is not compatible with AVID. Either way, I fixed it by installing a $200 GeForce 6600 OC video card which I chose because it was cheap yet powerful. With this card the proper drivers could be installed. Good luck!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]