Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MEDIA 100:Media 100 844/X ForumMedia 100 ForumMedia 100 TutorialsMedia 100

Computer displays with video inputs?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Robert L. KopfComputer displays with video inputs?
by on Jul 11, 2012 at 10:04:37 pm

Hi everyone,

I need to replace some old and ailing Sony PVM (CRT) program monitors, and would prefer to go with flat panel displays. It seems to be difficult to find an appropriate one. The world seems to be awash in computer displays that have all the attributes that I'd like to find in one for this application, except for composite, S-Video and component inputs. If I could live with just HDMI, there are lots of alternatives. The world also has an abundance of TV-type displays that have things like TV tuners, picture-in-picture, etc. I don't need any of that either. I realize that companies like Sony have some nice displays for this application. But I'd really prefer to keep the cost down below that tier. I don't need the monitors to be THAT great. They'll be used for making edit decisions, not color grading. And I'd rather throw the budget difference towards Thunderbolt-connected drive arrays or something.

What I'd love to find would be a 21.5-inch display (that would closely match my HP 21.5-inch "desktop" display), but would have inputs to connect the analog outputs of my legacy Media 100 breakout boxes. I could probably live with some subset, but would be happiest if it could handle component, S-Video and composite (in addition to HDMI), and allow switching between them. Of course also I'd use it with whatever new I/O I get when I finally pop for a new Media 100 Suite. So if you have thoughts about that, I'd like to hear them too. These need to be natively 1920x1080. But it would also be nice to be able to display SD material without having to tweak settings to have them not stretch the image to fit the screen, etc.

I keep thinking that somebody out there must have figured this out, at least to the point where he could get SOME kind of program monitor. But so far, searching on the Creative Cow forums hasn't turned up anything. That surprises me.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gerry CondezRe: Computer displays with video inputs?
by on Jul 12, 2012 at 2:39:47 pm

Hi Robert,
I still have some setup that is able to drive 4 large screen with HDMI inputs from the legacy Media 100 and source video coming from HD camcorders and DSLRs. For some reason, it might not be cost effective anymore because converters are as expensive as getting a Matrox box then. Also if your Media100 has the E6000 board for SDI. You can still use all your existing SVideo, Composite and Component outs same time.
Heres my setup: from camcorder or dslr with HDMI out to a Decklink HDMI to SDI converter then from Media 100 SDI out to DAC-8 HD/SD-SDI to HDMI Converter. From here output can be to any HDMI monitor. Hope this work for you.
If you are upgrading to HD Suite, thunderbolt options are great. I have tried them with the latest 2.1.1 w/ OS 10.7.x but you wont be able to use the latest drivers for Matrox to output FinalCutX directlly to HDMI.
Gerry

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]