Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MEDIA 100:Media 100 844/X ForumMedia 100 ForumMedia 100 TutorialsMedia 100

Panasonic AG-AF100 and M100

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Marcus WarrenPanasonic AG-AF100 and M100
by on Jul 1, 2012 at 3:16:25 am

Anyone using the Panasonic AG-AF100 with Media 100 Suite? Thoughts, impressions, difficulties concerning importing the video?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Fermin BrangerRe: Panasonic AG-AF100 and M100
by on Jul 2, 2012 at 10:04:17 pm

We transfer all media into Final Cut (ProRes), and then we perform a rapid import from our bins in M100.
After edit, we send our PGMs to AE, for color correction (Colorista2). Coming back to M100, we do a final color adjust with RGB curves (if needed). The results are amazing (for TV_SD).

Fermin Branger
ALFARERIA CINEMATOGRAFICA
Caracas, Venezuela.
http://www.alfareriacine.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marcus WarrenRe: Panasonic AG-AF100 and M100
by on Jul 2, 2012 at 10:48:05 pm

Are you saying that, in your case, you have to use FCP as an intermediate step to get the footage into Media 100?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SloweRe: Panasonic AG-AF100 and M100
by on Jul 3, 2012 at 11:29:01 am

Why don't you take the footage (as ProRes HQ) direct into Media 100. I select the sections of clips in Sony Transfer that I want, set my Media 100 Project as ProRes and there's no problem.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

olof ekberghRe: Panasonic AG-AF100 and M100
by on Jul 5, 2012 at 2:03:45 pm

I actually use FCPX to view and categorize AF100, AVCHD and XDcam footage. I use FCPX timelines to do rough edits and then import those into M100 as Prores if I want to edit in M100 or if I am adding footage to a legacy project.

I have to admit that I am pretty much switching to FCPX now it works so well and fast with all the native footage from these cameras, only needing to transcode if you export.

If M100 could work with these formats natively and updated to tabbed Bins and timelines I would prefer to work in M100. But the more work I do in FCPX the less I feel the need for M100. With FCP7 M100 ran circles around FCP, but I am afraid that with a powerful new mac and RAIDS FCPX runs circles around M100.

I still really love M100 but it badly needs updating, especially working natively with modern codecs.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SloweRe: Panasonic AG-AF100 and M100
by on Jul 5, 2012 at 4:09:00 pm

Olof, sorry to hear this. Is it just a speed improvement or other things as well? I take in XDCAM media quite easily through Sony Transfer at the same time as selecting exactly what I require from each clip. It is true that there is a slight delay whilst each import renders to the selected ProRes codec but it is brief and are we in such a rush? Support for native files would save this delay I suppose but there's no way I would switch from Media 100 just on this issue.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

olof ekberghRe: Panasonic AG-AF100 and M100
by on Jul 5, 2012 at 4:32:25 pm

Michael, yes I am sorry as well M100 has been my main NLE for 15 years now. It is like an old friend. I still really like it.

But for years now I have used FCP more and more to pre-process media be fore finishing in M100.

Here is why.

I often work on interviews shot in multicam EX3 and EX1R usually. I often have 20-30 hrs of footage that has to be cut down to 20-30 1-3 minute chunks that get added to a new version of a legacy project in M100. These are boating safety videos and we typically shoot 2-3 days in one location interviewing officers about specific laws and problems in their state.

I do a quick assembly of each scene from all the officers usable footage. I then make a TC stamped QT version for the producers to look at and also we use a transcript service to make a text file. The producer then gives me an edl of the clips they want for each scene. I put this together in FCP very quickly and then export each segment to M100 where I add B-roll titles etc, and finish in M100.

For projects like this it is way faster to work natively than to transcode everything (not to mention drive space).

The FCPX magnetic timeline and scrubbing is also lightning fast, I can pick clips and get the on the timeline incredible fast whipping through hours of footage just by scrubbing (and JKL-E), and it plays animated graphics w/o rendering right in the timeline, then renders in the background. So unless M100 has some serious updates I may have to phase it out.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Peter DeArmondRe: Panasonic AG-AF100 and M100
by on Jul 9, 2012 at 1:15:09 am

Olof,

I have had the same experience. I too love Media 100 and it will always have a special place in my heart, but I'm also in the process of making the switch to FCPX, for many of the same reasons you listed.

I'll never knock Media 100 -- it's been a solid, reliable tool for a long time -- and I was never more grateful than when Boris bought the company and supported the product for us. But... FCPX really rocks, and it's hard to imagine that Boris could have the resources to develop a new, robust, built-from-the-ground-up video software like FCPX. And I would love to be proven wrong.

I'll probably continue to use both for a while longer, but I'm afraid my Media 100 days are numbered.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 16, 2012 at 5:44:11 pm

I think this thread went off on a tangent (as threads sometimes do)so I just want to be sure; are all you all saying that the AVCHD footage from the Panasonic AG-AF100 (or from any other camera, for that matter) cannot be directly imported into M100? I am not in front of my editing computer, so I can't check the import options, but I thought that AVCHD import was one of M100 Suite's capabilities.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob SlenkerRe: Panasonic AG-AF100 and M100
by on Jul 17, 2012 at 1:58:54 am

Media 100 Suite imports AVCHD footage via a third party app called "Clip Wrap."
When you go to import and see all the file options ( P2, SxS, etc.), you select AVCHD and it automatically opens Clip Wrap. Clip Wrap converts the clips to a file format that Media 100 likes, like Pro Res, etc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 17, 2012 at 3:29:17 am

Right. Now I remember. Hopefully, Media 100 will soon work with AVCHD (and other formats) natively. It would be nice if that happened this year with a point upgrade, since I am still waiting to cash in my paid software update. Time is running out...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]