Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MEDIA 100:Media 100 844/X ForumMedia 100 ForumMedia 100 TutorialsMedia 100

Article: NAB 2012 is in the books, final thoughts...

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
walter biscardiArticle: NAB 2012 is in the books, final thoughts...
by on Apr 24, 2012 at 8:00:46 pm

NAB Expo
NAB 2012 is in the books, final thoughts...NAB 2012 is in the books, final thoughts...

Walter Biscardi went to NAB 2012 with every intention of documenting each day and sharing the vast (and often overwhelming) wealth of information he would glean from the NAB SHOW floor. Well, day one left him needing tons of caffeine, and a lot more sleep - so we're wrapping up now, after a flight home and some time for Walter to catch his breath.

Feature   04/24/2012
Author: walter biscardi

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

adam taylorRe: NAB 2012 is in the books, final thoughts...
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 12:24:57 pm

I'm impressed - Walter has joined the Blue Man Group!

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk
My YouTube Animations Page

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rich RubaschRe: NAB 2012 is in the books, final thoughts...
by on Apr 29, 2012 at 1:18:42 am

Thanks Walter. Great seeing you at the Media Motion Ball. I rented a scooter this year so my transportation was great...front row parking at every location!

See you next year!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardi@Rich Rubasch
by on Apr 29, 2012 at 3:45:35 pm

Good to see you too Richard!

You drove a scooter through Vegas? Crazy man!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill DavisRe: Article: NAB 2012 is in the books, final thoughts...
by on May 4, 2012 at 6:17:01 am

Since Walter mentioned the Supermeet, I'll those who care you a bit of the "insiders" view of what happened.

I actually hate to write this because I've long appreciated the position of Unions in fostering professional standards and protecting workers rights - but in this particular instance the Supermeet problems have to fall specifically and totally on the Tropicana's Union Shop.

Mike and Dan knew they were in trouble when the setup start that was supposed to start on Monday never happened. They burned up their cel phones - but couldn't get a respond from the Tropicana staff or contacts.

The crew showed up a full day late to begin the meeting setup and staging.

Anyone who has worked a show like this knows that without time to fix problems once they manifest themselves, even minor things like a bad cable or a wonky dongle can take down a whole show.

When I showed up to help, things were pretty chaotic and all we could do was try to manage what we could the best we could. I ended up doing rudimentary staging stuff like trying to move the podium aside so that the podium presenters didn't have their heads right in the projector beam for the video.

I will also note that A year ago, I was backstage as Apple did their "big foot" takeover. And say what you like about the content, but the legendary Apple attention to detail was evident and can bet your butt that Apple was ALL OVER every aspect of the presentation.

It may surprise you to know that Mike told me he had actually been in contact with Apple about about their participation at the show this year - but they couldn't come to terms in time.

And the list of companies that did present certainly got hosed by the technical stuff and absolutely none of it was anyones' fault but the Union setup crew not getting their s**t together in time.

Interestingly, another close source also noted to me there's been some change in management structure in the Pro Apps group at Apple recently - with at least one key player promoted and there are some new names in former decision making seats that *might* lead to some differences in how the ProAps team communicates in the future.

Notice I'm being careful with my language here because this is purely my speculation based on hearsay - not anything that I know to be factual - but just what I heard from "usually reliable sources". We'll see.

All I know for sure is that this year was vastly more stressful than any other Supermeet I've helped to put on. And that those issues need to be put where they belong - on a union crew shop that didn't deliver to the professional standard that a paying client should expect.

Many here know what it's like to be backstage responsible for "the show." Be thankful this wasn't one of yours. It belongs to two of my friends and they did NOT enjoy the evening - trust me.

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: Article: NAB 2012 is in the books, final thoughts...
by on May 4, 2012 at 2:40:32 pm

Absolutely agree, the blame is squarely on the technical crew, whether they were Tropicana's own crew or another A/V crew they completely and utterly failed. Dan and Mike are not responsible for connecting and testing and setting up everything. All they can do is lay out the specs and expect a professional result from the crew. That didn't happen and that's why I say whomever did do the work should be completely and utterly ashamed to present that quality of experience to professional video and audio creatives.

Yes, last year's event was typical Apple perfection for the presentation and it looked exactly like their old Sunday afternoon presentations. Apple just has a lot more clout, money and people to hover over the crews to ensure things are actually done correctly.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike CohenRe: NAB 2012 is in the books, final thoughts...
by on May 15, 2012 at 4:42:45 am

interesting report - having seen a number of local A/V crew SNAFU's at convention centers, I am not at all shocked that a high profile event could be plagued by technical problems.

I think the main takeaway from the article is that - there is no magic bullet for editing, camera or peripheral. You use what is right for the job. Our mantra is, why buy when you can try. Don't worry about how much you spent when you can rent. I do not like green eggs and ham, Sam I am.

Ok it's late.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]