Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MEDIA 100:Media 100 844/X ForumMedia 100 ForumMedia 100 TutorialsMedia 100

When will new AJA drivers be released?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Nick GriffinWhen will new AJA drivers be released?
by on Jun 28, 2011 at 5:39:09 pm

Since the Mac OS 10.6.8 updater killed our ability to use the AJA Kona 3 it's been written in several places that AJA was working on updated drivers that wouldn't crash 10.6.8. It had been said that the fix should be ready yesterday (6/27) or today (6/28).

So, does anyone know the status of the AJA fix? WHEN is it realistically expected? I REALY don't want to do the whole re-install and update to get back to 10.6.7 because of the many, many other things this could affect, but I can't go too many more days without the ability to use the external monitor.

Thanx for any info anyone can provide.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael HanishRe: When will new AJA drivers be released?
by on Jun 28, 2011 at 9:17:24 pm

Hi Nick,

I was looking for new AJA drivers for another reason, not the 10.6.8 update issue, and there is a v9.01 on the AJA web site for Kona 3. What I don't know is if that is approved by Media100 for Suite 2.

??

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nick GriffinRe: When will new AJA drivers be released?
by on Jun 28, 2011 at 9:31:11 pm

From what I've read even the new 9.01 does not solve the 10.6.8 problem.

On another forum someone was discussing re-setting the Kernel to 64 bit, but I am not OS-technical enough to know what or how this is done.

Hopefully SOMEBODY will fix this soon, as working without an external monitor is boardering on being dangerous.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Floh PetersRe: When will new AJA drivers be released?
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 8:08:15 am

Aja tech support said to me that they donĀ“t have an idea if engineering is working on a fix for this problem. Some of the earlier MacPros cannot boot in 64bit mode anyway. But you could try. There is a little tool called "32- or 64 bit Kernel startup". If you search for it on macupdate,com, you will find it. This can tell you (and set you up) to boot in 64bit mode.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joe CiupikRe: When will new AJA drivers be released?
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 3:34:51 pm

Another example of waiting to upgrade software until it's been tested. I have the Media100 suite version 1.6.1 on the following system

Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz

No matter what I try to play on Media 100 suite I get the error message "Could not play because of a bad video frame".

Anyone have ANY suggestions? I promise to not update software again until I research that it's been tested.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 29, 2011 at 3:39:31 pm

Did you upgrade to 10.6.8, and do you have Media 100 i codec material in your timeline? If the answer to both questions is yes, then you are currently out of luck (except installing OSX 10.6.7 again or going to the backup of your system you made before installing 10.6.8, which you hopefully did). Apple broke the MJPEG-B codec once again, which is the base for the "old" Media 100 i codec.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 29, 2011 at 3:51:12 pm

OUCH. Thanks Floh. Time to reinstall 10.6.7. There goes they day.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 29, 2011 at 11:47:33 pm

So I reinstalled MacOS to 10.6.3. I've upgraded to Suite 1.7.1. Now when I open up Media100 I get the error message " Could not create the keyframe player because the Media 100 Suite System is lock up".

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 30, 2011 at 12:34:29 pm

Get the Suite 1.7.1 installer and reinstall the application. Sounds like one of the components of the application is missing. You can download the 1.7.1 installer from the Media 100 support website.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SloweRe: When will new AJA drivers be released?
by on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:08:28 pm

Joe, I'm not trying to be a smart arse but why is everybody so eager to install every software update that appears? I don't understand why the companies produce so many updates because the benefits of most of them seem to be very slight. Isn't it better to wait until you are clear and then do a major upgrade of whatever applications you have, all at once. The advantages are that after say six months to a year, every combination will have been tried and tested. That's what I do and it still keeps my edit suite pretty much up to date.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:11:14 pm

Michael you are 100% right. I should have known better and to check here before installing the upgrade. Lesson learned.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:25:12 pm

Let me review the update I performed that started this hassle. I ran a 0.0.1 update -- 10.6.7 to 10.6.8. I have to say that since I first started using Macs in 1984 (yes, eighty-four) I've had full version upgrades cause issues and dot-version upgrades cause problems, but never had a dot-dot upgrade make such a major, low-level conflict and resulting disruption.

Clearly Apple has a roadmap of how they will progress from one major version to the next and they are A) not sharing it with anyone, and B) not necessarily being accurate in how they numerate updates.

Long story short, in the AJA Forum a couple of people smarter than me gave instructions for re-setting my Octo-Core tower to 64 bit operation, by first un-installing the Kona card, re-setting in Terminal mode (Unix is rather intimidating when you're messing around with start-up routines and such), re-installing the Kona card, installing the AJA 9.01 beta driver and VIOLA! Up and running.

Fortunately we have a 2nd editing computer so the risk was minimized and work was simply slowed, not stopped. But the lesson learned is to ignore the pop-ups requesting to make an upgrade until more is known about them.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 1, 2011 at 11:33:37 am

Nick, I guess you have heard it already, but the new driver is out and it seems to work.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 1, 2011 at 11:55:06 am

Thanx, Flo. Downloaded it earlier today.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Warren EigRe: When will new AJA drivers be released?
by on Jun 30, 2011 at 6:51:01 pm

I went through this yesterday. I had to upgrade all my drivers to 64 Bit and setting my Mac Pro to default to 64 Bit boot. I then installed AJA Kona 3 9.0.1 driver, granted this is on a FCP 7 set up but it all works fine. No Kernel Panics.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/AFX.html
http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/KnitWits_Movie.html
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0251670/

EDITING REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Editing_Reel.html
TITLE DESIGN: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Titles_Reel.html

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]