Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MEDIA 100:Media 100 844/X ForumMedia 100 ForumMedia 100 TutorialsMedia 100

master options

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
todd mcmullenmaster options
by on Oct 19, 2010 at 2:50:36 pm

Hello
I have a documentary that is ready to go out and I am searching for some info on best ways to master out.I am looking for a hard copy(tape) and a digital copy.I have an LHI card but no SDI decks.
I am also hoping to screen the movie to a large screen and I am looking for the best way to master and present this.
Any thoughts or leads to workflows.
thanks as always.

Todd McMullen
Flip Flop Films
Austin
http://www.toddmcmullen.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Floh PetersRe: master options
by on Oct 19, 2010 at 3:00:57 pm

is your project SD or HD?

Several options: you could rent a deck (DigiBeta, DVCPro50, HDCam or whatever you want to use). Or you could rent an XDCam deck (PDW-HD1500 or F1600) in case you want to have your master on XDCam HD, which is the format most TV stations in Germany take these days.
Or you can send a harddrive with your project and media files to a shop who can master it to tape for you; not sure if there is somebody near you with the necessary equipment.

For a digital copy, you can export your timeline to QuickTime and convert e.g. to H.264 which is pretty widely used these days, and most computers should be able to play this file. As a backup, you either could do a "Collect files from Program…" to collect all your media files e.g. to a FireWire drive, or you could export your timeline e.g. to ProRes as a backup.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

todd mcmullenRe: master options
by on Oct 19, 2010 at 3:38:48 pm

thanks floh
the project is sd.and it is already prores with some clips proresHQ.
I have output a component out to DVCAM and quite frankly it just doesn't look that sharp when it gets to DVD.(through firewire to DVD recorder)

so that is my dilema now> Do I redigitze the program in a master, on-line quality compression, whatever that may be,or do I go out of the LHI card to an HD master.

My ultimate goal is to get the best looking program, image wise, from the program timeline.(but whose isn't right)

Some typical SD to HD workflows within M100 would be a tremendous resource.

Todd McMullen
Flip Flop Films
Austin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Floh PetersRe: master options
by on Oct 19, 2010 at 3:47:26 pm

[todd mcmullen] "so that is my dilema now> Do I redigitze the program in a master, on-line quality compression, whatever that may be,or do I go out of the LHI card to an HD master."

If your source material is SD only (as far as I understand it is), there is no point in reacquiring or upconverting via software to HD. If you have to deliver a HD master, simply play out via your Kona LHi and let the Kona do the upconversion in realtime.

[todd mcmullen] "I have output a component out to DVCAM and quite frankly it just doesn't look that sharp when it gets to DVD.(through firewire to DVD recorder)"

You are going to component, which will result in image quality loss, and then to DV, which again results in image quality loss. You should export your timeline into ProRes, and then use BitVice (or maybe Compressor) to encode for DVD. BitVice also will create a DVD Image, which you then can burn to DVD via the DiskUtility.app. This should give you great quality for your DVD.

Regarding SD to HD workflow, I think I will be doing some tutorials for the next software version of Media 100. I have a feeling that there will be some nice workflows and features in the next release regarding this problem…

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

todd mcmullenRe: master options
by on Oct 19, 2010 at 4:16:50 pm

thanks a bunch floh
and I look forward to the tutorials

Todd McMullen
Flip Flop Films
Austin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like