Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MEDIA 100:Media 100 844/X ForumMedia 100 ForumMedia 100 TutorialsMedia 100

HD to SD conversion in M100?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Todd SimonHD to SD conversion in M100?
by on Oct 7, 2010 at 9:44:51 pm

When importing HD media into M100 as SD 4x3, I cannot seem to find a method that does not either squeeze the footage or take a "cutout" of the original HD scene. This "cutout" is not squeezed but it cuts off part of the upper and lower portions of the original scene, as well as left and right. How can you import HD as SD without losing anything from the top and bottom of the scene?
Thanks for your help!
TahoeTHS

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Floh PetersRe: HD to SD conversion in M100?
by on Oct 8, 2010 at 8:48:35 am

Are you speaking about a file import, or about acquiring from tape?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd SimonRe: HD to SD conversion in M100?
by on Oct 8, 2010 at 3:14:54 pm

Using a file...mov

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul CroweRe: HD to SD conversion in M100?
by on Oct 8, 2010 at 9:37:06 am

dude,

I have to admit, I'm curious as to why you'd actually want to do this?

But I think for best results you may well have to use Compressor or Streamclip to transcode your footage to SD 4:3 (DV or whatever) and then import it into M100 to do your thing.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SloweRe: HD to SD conversion in M100?
by on Oct 8, 2010 at 10:38:36 am

What I would do (if you have to, see other post) is to take it into Media 100 as HD to start with and edit as HD on an HD timeline. Then open your 4:3 SD programme, drag the HD into it and the conform window will appear. You will be presented with the option of changing the framing within the 4:3 frame as you rightly say. But by crafty manipulation of the sliders (horizontal and vertical) you should be able to limit the 'damage' to your picture.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 8, 2010 at 3:17:48 pm

OK Michael, I'll try that procedure and let u know.
Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 8, 2010 at 3:16:47 pm

To add new ftg to an existing 4x3 program...but I don't want to shoot anything more in 4x3. Make sense?
Thanks bro.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

olof ekberghRe: HD to SD conversion in M100?
by on Oct 9, 2010 at 1:50:31 pm

I work on a lot of legacy projects that are 4:3 60i SD, this is my workflow:

I work with 30p XDcam and 5DmkII clips a lot.

I preview and pick the clips in FCP. Even put together short sequences there, and do some Color round tripping in FCP even.

Then I export as ProRes422 1080p.

I batch import all those files into a my legacy M100 project, as HD still, they just update most of the time.

Then I create a 4:3 30p timeline and drop all the clips into it. I conform them into 4:3 30p there. Uncheck the reacquire later box.

Then I drag all those clips (one by one, to avoid creating a compound clip) into a new bin labeled SD 30P.

Those clips are then ready to be dropped into a 60i timeline, just interpret them as interlaced.

I know this may seem to be a pain, but it works very well. Unfortunately M100 can not conform media to 4:3 SD footage on import without crashing. That is why these steps are necessary.

Be careful about mixing Prores and M100 lossless codecs, there is a big gamma shift. Set project up as one or the other and stick with it.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 11, 2011 at 4:35:09 pm

Olof:
Thanks for the educated advise!
Here's another situation...I've since moved into Final Cut Pro v6 and exported a Media100-suite timeline via XML for the first time. It came over to FCP fine, but the scenes seem to have gone through a severe color shift...everything is somewhat "washed-out" looking as compared to the way it looked in M100. I'm using a high-end HD monitor which is setup correctly. Any experience with this?
Thanks,
Todd

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 11, 2011 at 4:44:27 pm

BTW...I went to Pierce-Birchmont during the summers when I was a kid...loved it up there!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 11, 2011 at 4:47:44 pm

[Todd Simon] "Here's another situation...I've since moved into Final Cut Pro v6 and exported a Media100-suite timeline via XML for the first time. It came over to FCP fine, but the scenes seem to have gone through a severe color shift...everything is somewhat "washed-out" looking as compared to the way it looked in M100. I'm using a high-end HD monitor which is setup correctly. Any experience with this?
"

Are you using a Media 100 codec (Media 100 HD or Media 100 i)? This would explain it, since FCP handles these codecs incorrectly. FCP treats them as being full range 0-255, while they are StudioRange (16-235)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 11, 2011 at 4:52:55 pm

Yes, I installed the M100 codec, which I found on the M100 website yesterday.
Sooo, is there a "fix" for this?
Thanks Floh.
BTW, I appreciate your M100 tutorials...very helpful!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 11, 2011 at 6:11:32 pm

[Todd Simon] "Sooo, is there a "fix" for this?"

Probably the easiest fix is to work in e.g. ProRes in Media 100.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tahoe ToddRe: HD to SD conversion in M100?
by on Mar 11, 2011 at 6:16:21 pm

Right...but since this program has already been finished, what other solution is there...change the project settings in M100 and re-render everything with ProRes?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 11, 2011 at 6:27:14 pm

[Tahoe Todd] "Right...but since this program has already been finished, what other solution is there...change the project settings in M100 and re-render everything with ProRes?"

You can apply a colorcorrection filter in FCP, e.g. a Levels filter with the Input Black set to 16 and the Input White set to 235

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tahoe ToddRe: HD to SD conversion in M100?
by on Mar 11, 2011 at 6:31:27 pm

That's what I was planning...was just wondering if there's something that can be done before exporting the xml from M100.
Ok, thanks Floh!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tahoe ToddRe: Endless media search in M100?
by on Apr 11, 2011 at 7:30:41 pm

I have a system running MacOS 10.6.7 and Media100 Suite 1.6.3.
The problem I'm having is Media 100 intermittently being unable to locate rendered media. For example, just last night I was working on a project...all media in place...no problems. Today, when I reopened that very same project and program, M100 cannot find the rendered media files...titles, dissolves, filters, etc. The clips are there but not the effects, etc. M100 prefs are set to do "exhaustive search", etc. but no luck. I can see the files on my 2TB fibre channel, so I know they are there, and I can play them in QT just fine. What would cause this? So frustrating!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Floh PetersRe: Endless media search in M100?
by on Apr 11, 2011 at 7:43:09 pm

Do you have a SAN with a FibreChannel software, or do you use FibreChannel as direct attached storage? Usually Media 100 is pretty good at keeping your files linked to the timeline, and even if not a relink should easily find your clips. So either you are seeing some sort of problems with your drives (meaning that there is some data read/write problem), or there is a conflict with your setup.
If you can play the files in QuickTime player they should relink. But you say that it is only rendered media files that are offline? Have you done a Disk repair from within DiskUtility to your media drive?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 11, 2011 at 8:05:22 pm

No SAN, just connected directly.
Haven't done a disk repair because I'm not seeing any problems with other projects in M100 right now, or projects in FCP on a different boot drive either. All media is on the fibre channel.
Here's an interesting quirk...I just rendered some dissolves in this program and after the process completed the program still shows the dissolves in blue (unrendered). Media destinations are all set correctly...what the heck?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 11, 2011 at 8:08:57 pm

One other note...I just created a title, and when returned to M100 it's there with the red stripe, but the title (text) does not show.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]