Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MEDIA 100:Media 100 844/X ForumMedia 100 ForumMedia 100 TutorialsMedia 100

Projecting HD in a SD world

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
jim brodieProjecting HD in a SD world
by on Aug 22, 2010 at 1:27:56 pm

Hi folks,

I've just finished a project in 1080p and want to deliver it to a school district for showing from a laptop through a projector. No one knows what kind of projector they have but their PC laptops are current.

I've discovered that Mpeg Streamclip is way better than Sorensen Squeeze for encoding the files into WMVs. They look great (at 16,000 kbs) but will they project properly? I realize the projectors could be SVGA (800 x 600) or XGA (1024 x 768). What will be the best size to offer them that will meet the specs for both projector options.

Would my 1080p x 1920 file automatically resize within a SD projector?

Thank you in advance for your insights. I posted the same question in the corporate video forum.

Cheers,

Jim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bernhard GriningerRe: Projecting HD in a SD world
by on Sep 10, 2010 at 6:45:27 pm

Hi,

there are 2 different questions involved:
1.: scaling
2.: encoding

ad 1.:
Scaling is rocket science!
But MPEG Streamclip delivers the best software scaling I have discovered so far.
And I have tested ALL solutions over the last year from freeware to ultra high-end.
('best' according to the definition 'maximum sharpness at minimum aliasing')

ad 2.:
I assume you are working on OSX (M100), so you need to use Episode or at least Flip4Mac to encode *.wmv

When you got best results in MPEG Streamclip I assume you had used Flip4Mac? Since it is a quicktime component it is irrelevant what quicktime capable application you use to encode. The question is how your chosen application handles pre-processing (de-interlacing, scaling, etc.)

Now to answer your question:
The player application will do all the required scaling for you in realtime (=quick&dirty) to deliver a correct image through VGA

So simply scale and encode 3 versions with MPEG Streamclip ( 1080p; 720p; SD ) and test what resolution looks best and plays well on the laptops through your player application.

Bernhard

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]