Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MEDIA 100:Media 100 844/X ForumMedia 100 ForumMedia 100 TutorialsMedia 100

down converting HD footage for placement on SD timelines

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Robert Slenkerdown converting HD footage for placement on SD timelines
by on Apr 30, 2010 at 2:05:40 pm

Hey guys,
I need some education here.
I've got some P2 footage shot with a HPX170 in it's setting 720p/24p which Media 100 Suite (v.1.1.2) sees as 720p/59.94fps.
Someone asked me for an SD (DVD) copy of it and in doing some reading, it seemed I could create an SD timeline and drag it over to it and Media 100 would downconvert it for me in a desired way (letterbox, crop, etc.) Not with this footage. I get "Can not place HD 720p 59.94 fps clips into a NTSC 601 4x3 program." I've tried creating various SD timelines at different settings within Media 100 and none of them will work. I assume the format of this footage is screwy and just won't let me do it. Now I know I can dub out of my AJA Kona LHi card to down convert to DVCPRO tape but I was just wondering "technically" what's going on and how I can deal with it.
Thanks in advance.
BOB

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matthew MullenRe: down converting HD footage for placement on SD timelines
by on Apr 30, 2010 at 2:29:20 pm

The problem is you can't do a frame rate conversion on a conform.

The footage is Progressive while the SD program you're trying to put it into is Interlaced.

You will have to output your sequence as 720p and use another software to convert it. I believe compressor will do this for you.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SloweRe: down converting HD footage for placement on SD timelines
by on Apr 30, 2010 at 4:02:15 pm

The best down convert I have experienced is in BitVice which is an encoding software for producing DVD's. Since you are aiming for an SD DVD you could export your HD timeline and use BitVice for the rest of the operation. I do this all the time and with each new version of BitVice the resultant DVD's have got better and better.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Robert SlenkerRe: down converting HD footage for placement on SD timelines
by on Apr 30, 2010 at 6:06:00 pm

Thanks guys. I have BitVice. I was just wondering technically what was going on and what all my options were.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]