Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MEDIA 100:Media 100 844/X ForumMedia 100 ForumMedia 100 TutorialsMedia 100

Black and White Effect

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Scott WittrockBlack and White Effect
by on Jul 14, 2009 at 4:40:31 pm

To those of you who can help me,

I got thrown into a project on Media 100 version 7.0.2 and need to do some basic effects. Anyone know a good tutorial that will give me the basics of effects in media 100?

I'm used to editing of FCP which has a wide selections of color correction filters. Does Media 100 have it's equivalent or do I need to export and use another program like After Effects?

For right now I'm just looking to do a basic black and white effect. Any help would be great!

-Scott

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Floh PetersRe: Black and White Effect
by on Jul 14, 2009 at 5:03:39 pm

Wow, version 7 is really some time ago. So you are still running Mac OS9, right???
There are ColorFX in Version 7 already, I think, but maybe they were limited to some configurations. Not really sure about that.
If you load your clip into the edit suite by double-clicking it, you should have a triangle at the bottom left or right corner of the Edit Suite window. Clicking it will give you the extended Edit Suite options, and if supported you should see a "ColorFX" section there. There you can apply your colorFX to your clips.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Scott WittrockRe: Black and White Effect
by on Jul 14, 2009 at 5:24:21 pm

Thanks Peters,

I discovered the triangles and found the effects. I was curious if there were any additional effects, but I wasn't very hopeful, and your response confirmed the age of this version. And yes it is still running on the old Mac OS....It's the oldest machine but the softwear/hardware is only on that station.

Thanks for the info.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew MehtaRe: Black and White Effect
by on Jul 14, 2009 at 8:07:56 pm

You can do further effects by using Boris Graffiti, Boris FX, or Boris Red if they're on your system. If my memory serves me right, you can access these plugins by creating a composition clip in the video timeline (look for an option to do that via the menubar) and then double clicking on the composition clip to enter the boris programme. Don't forget to save your changes back to the composition clip afterwards! Boris FX can also use After Effects plugins, if they're copied to the Boris folder, so this is a neat way to use After Effects effects, without having to export. Once you've applied your effects, you'll need to render them.

The other way to start boris is simply when you have a transition, double click on it, and it'll show up in the edit suite window - and there are three icons in the top right that dictate whether it's a dissolve effect, another sort of effect, or yet another catagory...it's been a good year or so since I've used it...but I think the third icon is the one you want [the icon shows a page turn effect], and once selected, you can choose from a variety of other transition effects. These include some built into Media100, some Quicktime effects that came with Quicktime Pro / OS9, and finally Boris. If you select Boris, you can then click the EDIT.. button, and it'll launch the boris plugin programme - be it Boris FX or Boris Red.

If you want to use Boris graffiti, which is mainly for text, you just create a title track, in the title part of the timeline, and then double click it. This allows you to do cool stuff with text, and also 3D text - although the latter can be very slow. =P

What I've typed above is just off of the top of my head, I've been out of practice using any of this stuff for about a year or so now.
But my moment of pride was being lucky enough to come second in the Best of Boris competition in early 2008, for effects I accomplished in Media100 version 7.5 on OS9...! So yep, it's very old, but cool stuff can be done with it. =)
See http://www.media100.com/stories/mehta.php for the insanely complicated tutorial, that won me the compo. =S

Suffice to say - Black and White is simple, and doesn't require any of the above. Just use that arrow Floh talked about, to flip down the extra options in the Edit Suite window, and select the black and white preset from the list, and click apply. =) Reverse, speed up, and other groovy options should be there as well. ^_^.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew MehtaRe: Black and White Effect
by on Jul 14, 2009 at 8:12:09 pm

Regards what I said about the composition clip in my last message - I might have been wrong about double clicking to launch Boris...perhaps you have to double click it to get it to appear in the EDIT SUITE window, and then click EDIT from that window, to launch Boris...it's been a while, so my memory is a bit vague.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ben HeusnerRe: Black and White Effect
by on Jul 15, 2009 at 4:59:27 am

You will be able to give yourself a "crunchier" black and white effect with the YUV curves in ColorFX.

Flatten U&V so that they lie completely horizontally and directly through the centre. Don't worry, you'll be able to see if they're off centre pretty easily.

Then use a gentle (or not-so-gentle) S-curve in the Y, and you've got yourself a much nicer, custom B&W filter, which you can save to use again and again.

All the best,
Ben

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Robert L. KopfRe: Black and White Effect
by on Jul 15, 2009 at 4:33:33 pm

That sounds pretty neat! I'm going to play around with that when I get a chance. It's surprising what one can happen across while reading forums like this. Thanks for posting that.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ben HeusnerRe: Black and White Effect
by on Jul 15, 2009 at 7:36:54 pm

No problems! Your black and white conversions will never be the same again :o)

If you want to give it a bit of a tint after getting the b&w done, then just tip the U or V slightly above or below the centre point.

Cheers,
Ben

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]