Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MEDIA 100:Media 100 844/X ForumMedia 100 ForumMedia 100 TutorialsMedia 100

Graphics Card

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Lukkee ChongGraphics Card
by on Apr 20, 2008 at 10:41:02 pm

Hi,
I need to change my graphics card and would like to know what others are using in similar systems.
Media100 HD 12.0.2, G5 Dual 2.5 GHz.
I can find no reference for the card recomended by media 100 on the net. (Nvidia GeForce 6600 256mb)
Thanks,
lc

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Floh PetersRe: Graphics Card
by on Apr 21, 2008 at 6:32:40 am

What G5 system are you using? PCI-X or PCI Express? There were 2 different G5 2*2.5GHz systems, one with PCI-X and one with PCI express, so you should find out which one you have to be able to buy the correct graphics card for your computer.
Why are you looking into buying a new card? Special software you want to use, like Motion? Media 100 has no special demands on the graphics card, and I would not expect problems with any card that works in the computer, so if you have a card that is recommended by whatever software you want to use it should be fine with Media 100.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lukkee ChongRe: Graphics Card
by on Apr 21, 2008 at 3:37:04 pm

Hi Floh,
Been having some "freezing" and speeding up (high revs) of fan issues with the Mac and Media 100 will not run. Took it in to the Apple store and they say it looks like the graphics card is not working properly. With the Media100 HDX card set installed I get the symptoms as described above. Without it, the cpu works except the fan on the graphics card does not work. I have two sets of Media100 HDX cards so was able to try a swap, but both card sets results in the same symptoms, hence my shopping for a graphics card. The Apple store also tried other cards and got the same results.
"About this Mac" identifies the slot as "PCI Cards". The card I am replacing is actually an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. How would I identify the difference between PCI Express and PCI-X?
Thanks,
lc

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Floh PetersRe: Graphics Card
by on Apr 21, 2008 at 4:16:56 pm

The Media 100 HDx card is PCI-X; so you definitely have an AGP/PCI-X system. This means you need an AGP card. The newer PCI-Express based systems do only work with Aja cards.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lukkee ChongRe: Graphics Card
by on Apr 21, 2008 at 5:07:21 pm

Thanks Floh,
Ordered a card so we will see!
Cheers,
lc

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook