Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MEDIA 100:Media 100 844/X ForumMedia 100 ForumMedia 100 TutorialsMedia 100

VHS transfer

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
MosaicVHS transfer
by on May 25, 2006 at 4:43:21 pm

Hello. I'm transfering some VHS to DVD and seeking more efficient methods. I usually go straight from the VHS to a DVD recorder, though this doesn't offer much editing control. I'd like to digitize into M100 so I can add a leading graphic and edit down the blue screens between client's shoots.

The question: Is there a way to keep the "loss of sync" from occuring in Digitize mode so the transfer from VHS will run one complete clip? Now it starts and stops, and if I am not looking at the screen the VHS keeps running but the capture has been stopped. Maybe an apple script can restart it?

And, if I bring in the compressed DVD version of the tape transfer (really, too many steps, but for some clients it may be worth it!), the outside edge pixelates -- is there an easy step to crop this out?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cowcow
Jim WiglerRe: VHS transfer
by on May 25, 2006 at 6:11:35 pm

Occasionally, I have to work on VHS tapes from newscasts and I've found that if I run them off on DVCAM first, Media 100 is MUCH MORE FORGIVING when digitizing.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cowcowcowcow
Kieran MatthewRe: VHS transfer
by on May 25, 2006 at 6:14:27 pm

The best way to overcome the sync issue when bringing in sources such as VHS is to pass the signal through a TBC. The TBC provides a constant video signal even when its input is disrupted so digitising won't stop even if you pause or cue the tape while you do it. I use a Panasonic WJ-AVE3 "effects channel" (the single channel version of their AVE5 vision mixer) that I picked up cheaply on e-bay for just this purpose.

There was a thread a while back about using u-matic (another format with noisy sync) with media 100, that covered some other options for cleaning the signal up. Have a search of the forum and it should turn up.

Hope that helps!
K

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

MosaicRe: VHS transfer
by on May 25, 2006 at 6:20:32 pm

Thanks. I'll do a search and check into the equipment options. This helps me. I appreciate the quick response. Most importantly, I know it not just me!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jerome RobbinsRe: VHS transfer
by on May 26, 2006 at 12:26:37 am

I run the connections through Canopus ADVC-300. It provides many controls for improving the signal/image. I can adjust contrast, brightness, visual and audio noise as well. I am not an expert, but I can sure see a big difference in the quality compared to just digitizing directly into Media 100. You can check out their products and differrent models on their website.

jerome

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

MosaicRe: VHS transfer
by on May 26, 2006 at 3:42:59 am

Great help! Now, after a bit of research, tell me. Is the Canopus "digital converter" a "TBC" - time base corrector? Seems to do the same job, but curious as to the language. And, they don't show up under the same search engines. Are there advantages to one over the other? Or distinction to how they handle the signal output?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lawrence MarshallRe: VHS transfer
by on May 26, 2006 at 12:17:44 pm

I digitize VHS footage by going S-video out of the VHS deck to S-video in on my Betacam UVW 1800. Then component out of the Betacam to M100.

Trying to go VHS straight into M100 has always been hit or miss for me, due to frequent instability of the VHS signal, loss of sync, etc.

Larry Marshall

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jerome RobbinsRe: VHS transfer
by on May 26, 2006 at 4:20:36 pm

This is a blurp off the box:

"The Canopus features high-quality image enhancement technology including digital noise reduction and image stabilization using Line Time Base Correction (LTBC), the ADV300 instantly cleans, stabilizes and preserves old VHS and Hi8 videos in clean DV format."

jerome

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]