Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Greg Wilson communication

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Chris PettitGreg Wilson communication
by on Jul 10, 2013 at 9:32:36 pm

I'm just as angry and frustrated by Adobe's decision to force mandatory CC on all of it's customers as are thousands of others including many that have participated in this forum. As I've said before, I don't like mandatory subscriptions, the idea is just not something I want or care about, and I find the arguments about why it's so great to be largely fluff or at best peripheral, at least in my workflow.

But I'm also a realist. I recognize that Adobe is the purveyor of mature products, and they want to find a way to protect their financial future and subscriptions appear be what their genius executives have come up with. Unless there is a huge collapse and drop off to their customer base over time (not likely, but still possible), Adobe subscriptions MAY be here to stay.

Consequently then, what matters most to me is that we demand that Adobe address the non-starter issues listed so many times on this forum. (I wont list then all again.) If I eventually have to subscribe to stay current, then I must have some degree of security if, and when, I stop payments. I simply will not permit my work to be held hostage to the company that sells me my software.

So today, while posting yet again on the Adobe CC Facebook page, I had an interesting exchange with Greg Wilson at Adobe, and I thought I'd share it:

In response to inquiries from me asking why we've heard nothing but silence regarding core issues with mandatory CC:

Greg Wilson: Hey Chris - I hear you - and yes, we owe you and others an answer. We stated on May 28th in a blog post that we were going to make some tweaks, and we've yet to make any announcements. I'm also frustrated by the delay and actually escalated internally this week.

I suspect it will be very soon - stay tuned.

And yes, our track record of communicating with our customers is not great. I cringe when I see us communicating with words like "soon" or "shortly" because it sets expectations that we may not be able to meet. I totally get that and have been pushing hard to improve it.

I'm simply trying to do what I can do improve it by engaging here, forums, other FB pages, twitter when possible. I've responded to literally over 50 posts on this page trying to explain what I can, and more importantly, taking the feedback to my management (and yes, they do listen).

Greg

I cant speak for anyone else, but I'm encouraged by this communication, and hope dearly that the response is robust, realistic and fair. We shall see.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Gary HuffRe: Greg Wilson communication
by on Jul 10, 2013 at 9:36:55 pm

[Chris Pettit] "
I cant speak for anyone else, but I'm encouraged by this communication, and hope dearly that the response is robust, realistic and fair."

And if it is, you will see me return to the Cloud in a heartbeat.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris PettitRe: Greg Wilson communication
by on Jul 10, 2013 at 9:41:35 pm

yeah, me too. If they can solve core issues, I'll subscribe. I need to get back to work for crying out loud

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Aindreas GallagherRe: Greg Wilson communication
by on Jul 10, 2013 at 9:55:48 pm

[Gary Huff] "And if it is, you will see me return to the Cloud in a heartbeat."

ditto. not being on premiere CC is wrecking my head at this point. and they really did get quite a bit of stuff into that update today.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: Greg Wilson communication
by on Jul 11, 2013 at 5:48:59 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "ditto. not being on premiere CC is wrecking my head at this point. and they really did get quite a bit of stuff into that update today."

Yes they did. We jumped all over that duplicate titles feature immediately after it was downloaded. HUGE help for shows with a lot of lower thirds or subtitles which we have in most of our work.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Foul Water Fiery Serpent, an original documentary featuring Sigourney Weave...
MTWD Entertainment - Developing original content for all media.
"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.
"Science Nation" - Three years and counting of Science for the People.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David LawrenceRe: Greg Wilson communication
by on Jul 11, 2013 at 2:00:17 am

[Gary Huff] "And if it is, you will see me return to the Cloud in a heartbeat."

Yep, me too.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim KolbRe: Greg Wilson communication
by on Jul 11, 2013 at 4:57:07 pm

I suspect part of the difference between those most offended by Adobe's recent moves and those of us who express the alternate view (the "fluff" Chris refers to I guess), is that many of us who deal with Adobe on a number of levels understand the whole company isn't as monolithic as some seem to think. It's large and they have many different user market niches, and they're all different. Each unit that works on a given application is self-contained for the most part (it became easy to overlook that in the "CS" days).

While the subscription may continue to be the sticking point for some, the ability of each development team to uncouple from the parade route and run their own race to some extent is an advantage...I have to say that the work ethic of the Premiere Pro team does show itself rather clearly as they deliver this update with unprecedented speed.

("Fluff" end)

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: Greg Wilson communication
by on Jul 11, 2013 at 9:42:15 pm

[Tim Kolb] " the ability of each development team to uncouple from the parade route and run their own race to some extent is an advantage...I have to say that the work ethic of the Premiere Pro team does show itself rather clearly as they deliver this update with unprecedented speed."

The uncoupling is huge in the bigger picture. Each unit can release updates as they're ready rather than hold things in place for twice yearly updates.

And I can second your opinion of the Premiere Pro team. They're awesome folks, quick to respond and take the time to really explain situations both pro and con when talking about changes. They walk a very tight line between the "established premiere pro" workflow and the "we want to change the workflow" crowd. Tough place to be but the current product is really moving efficiency forward.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Foul Water Fiery Serpent, an original documentary featuring Sigourney Weave...
MTWD Entertainment - Developing original content for all media.
"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.
"Science Nation" - Three years and counting of Science for the People.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David SmithRe: Greg Wilson communication
by on Jul 12, 2013 at 6:19:57 pm

Here's a question I haven't heard an answer to yet anywhere:

If they uncouple the release schedule of the various pieces of software, so that new versions of each are released based on when updates are ready, instead of releasing all the new versions at the same time as they have before, how will they maintain the dynamic link between all the pieces of software?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Chris PettitRe: Greg Wilson communication
by on Jul 13, 2013 at 12:19:31 am

Dynamic linking has become an essential part of my workflow. It was an Adobe selling point for multiple versions, heavily marketed.

VERY good question.

Adobe?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd KoprivaRe: Greg Wilson communication
by on Jul 13, 2013 at 7:19:15 am

Dynamic Link will still work between versions of the applications that are using the same version of the Dynamic Link protocol and Dynamic Link Manager.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Morten RanmarRe: Greg Wilson communication
by on Jul 13, 2013 at 11:42:49 am

Sorry Adobe, that is no answer. Especially when not even your download manager works all the time...

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS6, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]