Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

I want to select "Render All Clips" in Deliver page (Resolve 9)

COW Forums : DaVinci Basics & Configuration

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Michael HolmesI want to select "Render All Clips" in Deliver page (Resolve 9)
by on Aug 24, 2012 at 7:31:38 pm

I am using the latest version of Resolve 9 Lite.
I want to render all clips in one rendering, including all versions of all clips, so that I can then export XML back to FCP X. I am using Commercial workflow so that I can render all grade versions.

I am attempting to select "Render All" in the Deliver page.
On Page 576 in the manual it says:

To render the entire timeline, right-click any clip in the Mini-Timeline (above the thumbnail Timeline) and choose render All.

An orange bar appears in the Timeline ruler over every clip in the session, indicating the entire session will be rendered.

When I right click in what I think is the Mini-Timeline (the grey bar under the ruler, with “V1” to the left, above the Thumbnail Timeline), I get three options: Mark In, Mark Out, and Select All. I don’t get an option of Render All.

Also, when I select “Select All”, the grey bars do not all turn orange. One segment is orange, for the selected clip only. So, it is not clear to me that I have in fact selected all.

If I right click on a thumbnail in the Thumbnail Timeline below, I get the option to “Render this clip” but no option to “Render all clips”.

I am doing something wrong.
What do I need to do to select "Render All"?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dwaine MaggartRe: I want to select "Render All Clips" in Deliver page (Resolve 9)
by on Aug 24, 2012 at 9:39:01 pm

Select all will select all the clips in the timeline for rendering. You can verify that by looking at the In and Out timecode values.

Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dmitry KitsovRe: I want to select "Render All Clips" in Deliver page (Resolve 9)
by on Aug 24, 2012 at 10:22:26 pm

Is this a new convention that when all are selected there is no orange/brown bar?
Does it mean that all are selected for render by default?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael HolmesRe: I want to select "Render All Clips" in Deliver page (Resolve 9)
by on Aug 24, 2012 at 10:24:24 pm

Thanks for the quick response, Dwaine.

Then the manual is incorrect, and I am doing it correctly?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dwaine MaggartRe: I want to select "Render All Clips" in Deliver page (Resolve 9)
by on Aug 25, 2012 at 1:09:31 am

Yes, the manual in incorrect. Replace Render All with Select All.

Yes, when you select all, the clips do not all turn orange.

Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael HolmesRe: I want to select "Render All Clips" in Deliver page (Resolve 9)
by on Aug 28, 2012 at 7:21:07 pm

Dwaine,
Well, I finally got back to this project, and the "Select All' didn't work for me. It rendered one clip twice, for the two versions, but only the one clip (which was the clip highlighted in the Thumbnail Timeline).

I then tried highlighting all the clips in the Thumbnail Timeline using Shift-Click, but it didn't work........only one clip would highlight at a time (bright orange edging).

I then tried Mark In and Mark Out, and I can't seem to get this right either. I tried moving a mark to the start of the first clip and selecting mark In, then went to the end of the last clip and selected Mark Out. This didn't work either................somehow it decided to render only two clips: the 2nd and the 13th clips, out of 46 total. I assume I somehow accidentally told it to do this. (??)

How do I now remove the Mark In/Out marks, and try again?

What am I doing wrong?

Also, I am confused by the naming system.
I selected "Use Source Filename" and "Render each Clip with a Unique Filename", using commercial workflow. What I got is this:

For the 2nd clip it rendered above, it was placed in a folder with the name:
00007800_00018621.
What is this number? How is it useful to me?

Inside this folder was this rendered clip:
V1-0002_00001(fcp1).mov

Also inside the folder was another folder entitled "Version 2" (I inadvertently selected "Place clips in separate folders".....I will un-check this). Inside this folder was this rendered clip:
V1-0002_00001(fcp1).mov

The name is identical to Version 1 of this clip. Why does it not give Version 2 a unique ID so I can recognize it as Version 2? Will the XML data give the versions different names in FCP X?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 29, 2012 at 2:09:51 am

Nobody can help on this?
Forget the numbering system questions, just please help on telling me how to use Mark In/Out to get all the clips rendered at once.

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Juan SalvoRe: I want to select "Render All Clips" in Deliver page (Resolve 9)
by on Aug 29, 2012 at 2:39:30 am

Right click on the time line and select "Render All'. I'd recommend checking out the new manual think you'll find it answers many questing and is quite useful.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 29, 2012 at 2:48:37 am

Juan,
I have spent much time in the manual.

Please look at previous posts, you can't select "Render all" in 9, unless you have found the secret method...........if so, please explain it to me.

I just want to use Mark In/Out, which should work. I just can't figure out how to (1) remove all markers I have inadvertently placed and (2) place new In and Out markers so I select all of the clips for rendering.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

by on Aug 31, 2012 at 12:52:36 am

Here is exactly what is happening:

(1) In Deliver page, I highlighted 1st clip (In Thumbnail Timeline), right clicked, chose Mark In. I then highlighted last clip, right clicked, chose Mark Out.
The In/Out showed the correct numbers:
In: 00:00:00:00
Out: 03:19:28:03
Duration: 03:44:52:08 (some multiple versions).

When I clicked Render, the numbers jumped to:
In: 00:57:33:12
Out: 01:02:54:21
Duration: 00:05:21:10
And it started rendering the 13th clip only. It completed this and stopped.

(2) So, I tried a 2nd approach. I added the job again, right clicked in the Mini Timeline, and chose Select All.
When I hit Render, it said this has already been rendered, do you want to render again? I said yes, and times changed and it again rendered the 13th clip only.

(3) So I tried a 3rd approach. I highlighted the 2nd clip, right clicked and selected Render This Clip. Times changed to:
In: 00:00:06:22
Out: 00:07:37:19
When I hit Render, times changed again and it again rendered the 13th clip only.

So, something is telling it to render the 13th clip only, regardless of what I select.
I don’t see anything on the left side of the page where I could be causing this.

Can someone please advise what I can do??

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 31, 2012 at 3:23:15 am

Sounds like you've got a job in your queue with in/out set. I would encourage you to check out the new manual it's pretty helpful on this.

If you use the X in the job queue to clear out that job first. Then add a new job with the appropriate settings. Make sure you set all of the job tasks the way you want, and then add the job to queue, so that there is only one job in the queue, it should work.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 31, 2012 at 3:47:06 am

Juan, honestly I have spent hours in the manual, and I have read every page multiple times relating to rendering in the Deliver page. I truly don't need repeated guidance to go to the manual, but thank you anyway.

There are no jobs in the queue, zero. I clear the queue of completed jobs each time before I add a new job. Each time I took the actions I described above, there was only the one job in the queue.

Please tell me if there is some way I can be locking the rendering process into rendering the same clip repeatedly, regardless of what I select for rendering.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 31, 2012 at 4:28:44 am

Well the behavior you were describing was what would happen if you had a job in the queue. It's hard for me to say what could be wrong. But I would try different setting in the output queue. Are you using a preset? Want to post a screen grab of your setting, might be easier to spot if something is off.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 31, 2012 at 4:55:06 am

I have uploaded two screen shots that show the info on the left side of the Deliver page. I can't see anything that would cause the very odd behavior I am describing, but what do I know. :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 31, 2012 at 5:08:02 am

Is there anything unique about the 13th clip? Which version of the v9 beta are you running? Can you try just using the fcp XML round trip workflow preset to see if it exhibits the same behavior? Also use 'Render All' not mark in mark out at first, just to see if that is an issue.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 31, 2012 at 5:48:28 am

I know of nothing unique about the 13th clip.

The FCPX round-trip won't give me what I need, because I need all the versions rendered, so I need commercial workflow.

There is no "Render All" in 9. There is "Select All". As I said above, I tried Select All.

I am using the latest version of Lite 9.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 31, 2012 at 6:04:38 am

Fcp XML Roundtrip, not fcpx. And you can add commercial workflow to the preset. But the point is to see if it's an issue with your preset. Try any other preset is my point.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 31, 2012 at 6:20:09 am

Well.......hold my breath........it appears that I got it to start rendering all the clips. I won't know for sure for 4 hours, but maybe.

I opened Resolve and went to the Deliver page to try different things (for the umpteenth time). I then noticed that the In/Out times were for the 13th clip. I had just opened Resolve, so I see no reason it should be here, but it was. So, I selected Select All before I added the job to the queue. The In/Out times then changed to the correct times for all clips. When I then hit Render, the times stayed at the right settings for all the clips.

I have been adding the job to the queue, then selecting the clips to render. This seems logical to me, since Add Job is on the left side. So, I assumed you added the job, then moved to the right side to select the particular clips to render.

Is it a requirement that you select the clips you want to render before you add the job to the queue? If so, I missed it in the manual.

BTW, I still have no idea what is going on with the 13th clip.

We'll see if this really works. I'll hold my breath until: rendering is complete, I export XML data, import XML back into FCP X, then look at the clips in FCP X.

In the meantime, please let me know if I am the only one who didn't understand the proper sequence.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 31, 2012 at 7:43:01 am

Page 578 of the manual

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/4716870/DaVinci_Resolve9_Manual_Aug_2...

Section titled "Using the Render Queue":

"1. Select a session.
2. Choose a range of clips to render using the Deliver page Timeline.
3. Choose the settings you require in the Render Settings list, either individually, or by using one
of the Easy Setups.
4. Click the Add Job button at the bottom right of the Render Settings list."

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rohit GuptaRe: I want to select "Render All Clips" in Deliver page (Resolve 9)
by on Aug 31, 2012 at 8:01:54 am

You can also edit the mark in/out of a job added to the queue, just make sure the job is selected (it should have an amber border).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 31, 2012 at 2:30:58 pm

Next problem. While rendering I got this error message:

Error occurred while opening audio clip
'Volumes/Video 1/Final Cut Events/Trio Bravo.Duffs.8-14-12/Original Media/00008(fcp1).mov'
using QTDecoder.

I clicked OK, then got this 2nd error message regarding same clip:

Error occurred while trying to read frame from clip
'Volumes/Video 1/Final Cut Events/Trio Bravo.Duffs.8-14-12/Original Media/00008(fcp1).mov'
using QTDecoder.

I clicked OK and then got a 3rd error message regarding a different clip:

Error occurred while closing clip
'Volumes/Video 1/Final Cut Events/Trio Bravo.Duffs.8-14-12/Original Media/00000(fcp1).mov'
using QTDecoder.

I trashed the partially rendered files, and started the rendering process again with a new job.

This time it rendered through clip 9, before giving this error message:

Recording failed.
Recording failed with error: Failed to encode the audio samples

Beside the job in the queue, there was a red X and it said 22% complete. but below this, the "Overall Progress" showed 100% complete.

The 2nd attempt did not show any of the errors related to clips 0 and 8, which showed up in the 1st attempt.

Any suggestions on how to get through this?
Do I need to try rendering one clip at a time?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 31, 2012 at 2:36:38 pm

Yes, I see it in manual. My fault.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 31, 2012 at 2:49:04 pm

I am trying again to render all the clips/versions, but this time I unchecked "Render audio". I will use audio processed in Pro Tools, so I don't really need the audio from Resolve.

Meanwhile, any comments on the error messages and how you normally deal with them would be appreciated.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 31, 2012 at 6:30:09 pm

FYI, the rendering completed, no errors, with the "Render Audio" box un-checked.
The media files look OK.
I have yet to complete XML round-trip, but at least rendering is finally done.

The earlier errors were apparently all tied to rendering audio.
Henceforth, I will always un-check the "Render Audio" box.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Saleh TanzaniaRe: I want to select "Render All Clips" in Deliver page (Resolve 9)
by on Oct 20, 2012 at 8:34:57 am

hey guys am new to resolve and started using resolve 9 on imac 27 core i5 12gb ram ...i would like to know whats the proper workflow for FCPX RESOLVE 9 roundtrip ...am editing music videos

Regards

Saleh Tanzania

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kendra OkerekeRe: I want to select "Render All Clips" in Deliver page (Resolve 9)
by on Apr 30, 2014 at 9:57:45 pm

When I go to the delivery page, Davinci renders all 15 min of my film, but when I open the QuickTime movie, it only has 48 seconds of my film. Do you know why?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]