Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Cant get realtime playback, something wrong with the system specs?

COW Forums : DaVinci Basics & Configuration

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Sean SartoriCant get realtime playback, something wrong with the system specs?
by on Nov 14, 2012 at 2:00:44 am

Hi,

I can't get realtime playback and renders are real slow. I'm just working in HD 1920 1080, at the most maybe 10 nodes. The GPU is in the red when I playback anything with a lot of nodes. Probably something with the system specs, although it looks alright to me (granted its been a 12 hour day and I'm tired)

Here are the specs:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz
Number of Processors: 2
Total Number of Cores: 12
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per Processor): 12 MB
Memory: 28 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 6.4 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MP51.007F.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.39f11
SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f11
Serial Number (system): H01400JLEUH
Serial Number (processor tray): J513401PZBH8C
Hardware UUID: 83FFADFB-106D-5DF5-A219-D5922C4A3D2C

ATI Radeon HD 5770 GPU slot 1
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 GPU Slot 2

OS 10.7.4

Davinci Resolve 9 Lite

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph OwensRe: Cant get realtime playback, something wrong with the system specs?
by on Nov 14, 2012 at 11:51:22 pm

For starters, the Q4000 is the lamest CUDA GPU you can install.

Is there a point (removing nodes) where your playback/render speeds start improving?

What is the codec -- ProRes, H264, HDV, DVC, uncompressed 10-bit... etc.? These can affect CPU pass-through and bitrate to and from the source drive.

And, of course, the sustained bit transfer rate from the source drive... A Rugged LaCie FireWire connection is not really ideal, for example.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sean SartoriRe: Cant get realtime playback, something wrong with the system specs?
by on Nov 15, 2012 at 4:00:09 pm

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the response. Hmmm I didn't know that card sucked, the post super spec'ed the system out according to the guidelines from Blackmagic. I'll look into that. What are the latest recommends from Blackmagic? I have the Config guide for Resolve 9 and it lists the ATI 5770 and the Quadro 4000 as recommended cards, is there a new recommendation?

I noticed that they hadn't updated the drivers, I'm doing that now. The codec is DNX HD from Avid. I exported a Quicktime from Avid, DNXHD 1080i/59.94 220 10 bit, interlaced lower field, 29.97. Yes this is kind of a fat codec, maybe I should try 8 bit?

In Davinci I have "enable field processing" checked. Perhaps take this off when I am in playback? I don't usually work with interlaced footage.....could the field processing have something to do with it? I noticed that the playback in the Resolve monitor is jagged, but it plays smoothly in Quicktime on the mac and plays smoothly on the broadcast monitor. I assumed that this is how Resolve displays interlaced footage.....

The source drive is a GRAID firewire 800 connection.

shots that have 1-3 nodes play thru fine. shots with 5-10 nodes with multiple windows etc. play at about half speed.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Peter ChamberlainRe: Cant get realtime playback, something wrong with the system specs?
by on Nov 15, 2012 at 11:23:02 pm

The Q4000 is a good UI card but slow in todays terms for image processing. The config guide describes the slowest and fastest cards supported.
When you select interlace processing your playback speed will half.

If you have interlace source material you only need to select interlace processing if you need to apply a resize or any of the image blur operations. If you dont use these, leave the interlace processing off.

It does sound like the field dominance of the camera recorded images is reversed and this is sometimes reflected as the jaggies you describe. Also consider to output a single field when paused... its in general settings.
Peter

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sean SartoriRe: Cant get realtime playback, something wrong with the system specs?
by on Nov 15, 2012 at 11:50:45 pm

OK great thanks

I think its the field processing, you're right. I'm working with a flat quicktime so there is no resizing, I will try it tomorrow with field processing off. It's possible they reversed the fields in Avid somehow, will have to look into that.

I will see if they can upgrade the card, I'm sure they just went with the cheapest one that was listed as compatible.

Strangely enough, this is the first time I have encountered interlaced footage in Resolve, it seems to be dying out. Won't miss it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John PaleRe: Cant get realtime playback, something wrong with the system specs?
by on Nov 23, 2012 at 3:41:52 am

Quicktime from Avid, DNXHD 1080i/59.94 220 10 bit, interlaced lower field, 29.97"

This is incorrect. All HD interlaced is Upper field first,

This would cause jaggies

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]