Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

System very sluggish - any ideas?

COW Forums : DaVinci Basics & Configuration

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
David ScottSystem very sluggish - any ideas?
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 7:37:31 am

Hi Folks
I've got Resolve 9.0.1 running on a MacPro 3,1 with OSX 10.8.2 and 16GB RAM. Its a 3Ghz Quad-Core with 2 processors and 8 cores.
Slot 1 has ATI Radeon HD 5770, Slot 2 a NVIDIA Quadro 4000, and Slot 3 a DeckLink HD Extreme 3D+ connected to external monitor and scope.
Media is on an external Promise Raid via fibre (Slot 4).
I have the latest drives installed for the cards.
Final Cut Pro 6 runs fine, but not Resolve.

Problem is that it won't even play graded ProRes PAL SD footage without the Resolve GPU meter hitting red and the fps dropping from 25 to 15 and sometimes as low as 1.5!!! The grade is fairly basic with 6 nodes. It seems the start of each clip is sluggish and then picks up speed. If I stop start the playhead the speed picks up to normal.

I'm guessing that Resolve is not accessing the Quadro card, but have no idea how to test this. Any thoughts or ideas most welcome!!!

David Scott,
Senior Editor,
GOD TV (UK)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Peter ChamberlainRe: System very sluggish - any ideas?
by on Oct 10, 2012 at 12:32:23 am

Hi David, do you have the GUI monitor plugged into the ATI card and nothing into the Q4000?
If so, next to try is to set the video monitoring (project settings, master settings) to 8 bit and in scaling set the scalling to bilinear.
The Q4000 is not idea for image processing. We normally recommend that for the GUI card and a more powerful processor, like the GTX570 for processing but the ideas above may help.
Peter

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David ScottRe: System very sluggish - any ideas?
by on Oct 10, 2012 at 3:28:28 pm

Thanks for the reply Peter.
Yes I have the 2 computer monitors connected to the ATI card, nothing to the Q4000, and the external broadcast monitor to the Decklink.

I tried switching the settings as you suggested but it made no difference.

I did have the system working ok using Resolve 8 on Snow Leopard, and then installed the beta for 9 which had some issues crashing...
So I've switched over to a second internal drive, and upgraded the OS to Mountain Lion, then installed the latest drivers for the cards, and then installed Resolve 9.
Card drivers:
Blackmagic DesktopVideo 9.6
NVIDIA Driver 304.00.05f02

Could one of these be the wrong driver?

Also worth noting that the Wave controller is sometimes slow to respond also. I turn a wheel and there is a second delay before the software applies the change.

Further thoughts welcome!

David Scott,
Senior Editor,
GOD TV (UK)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dwaine MaggartRe: System very sluggish - any ideas?
by on Oct 10, 2012 at 10:31:26 pm

Check in Resolve Preferences / System Overview, and verify that the Quadro 4000 card is actually being used as the GPU card. It should also show you the HD5770 card being used as the GUI card, but there could still be a bug that prevents the HD5770 from being listed.

The stock Mountain Lion GPU driver should work with all the NVIDIA GPU cards at this point, and certainly the Quadro 4000 card.

So, the NVIDIA GPU driver on our 10.8.2 systems is 295.30.20f02. Where did the 304.00.05f02 driver come from? That's not the 10.8.2 driver. That looks like it could be the issue. I'm not sure how you would get back to the 295.30.20f02 driver.

Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 11, 2012 at 10:36:28 am

Thanks Dwaine.
Yes the Q400 card appears listed in Resolve, but not the HD5770.

I didn't realize that Mountain Lion came with the correct driver so downloaded what I thought was the right one from Nvidia: http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-304.00.00f20-driver.html

So now I need to rollback/uninstall/reinstall to the correct driver... Anyone any ideas on how to do this? Short of reinstalling the OX again I can't seem to find a way! Help!

David Scott,
Senior Editor,
GOD TV (UK)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 11, 2012 at 5:49:13 pm

Interesting, I didn't realize NVIDIA had released any 10.8 related drivers. Anyone have any idea what these do better than the stock ML driver?

That being said, and looking at the NVIDIA Driver Download site now, I see the 10.8.1 driver is gone, and has been replaced with a 10.8.2 driver (304.00.05f02). So give that one a try.

Any time NVIDIA posts an OS X specific driver, I would expect that to work with most of their cards, and would expect it's probably a safe thing to try. Maybe...

Dwaine Maggart

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 12, 2012 at 7:13:17 am

mmmmm.... so I do have the right driver installed.... Is there a set list of troubleshooting things I can run through to find out what's wrong with my system then?
Thanks

David Scott,
Senior Editor,
GOD TV (UK)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 12, 2012 at 8:23:25 pm

A MacPro model 3,1 has poor performance. You mention 6 nodes. What happens if you only have one node or no nodes? Does the footage play back in real time then?

You don't want to have any WFM displays up on this system.

You do want the Project Settings / Master Project Settings / Video Monitoring Video Bit Depth selection set to 8 bit, and the "Use optimized display mode during playback" setting enabled.

As Peter mentioned, you want the Project Settings / Image Scaling / Image Scaling "When resizing and scaling" setting on "Use Bilinear filter".

You mentioned you are using SD footage. What timeline resolution are you using?

With all the things above, I would expect you should be able to get real time with an SD clip in an SD timeline with a handful of basic nodes. If you are using an HD timeline, maybe only 3 or 4 nodes. Depends on whats in the nodes. You are not going to get much blur, or curve windows in realtime. And probably no NR in realtime.

Dwaine Maggart

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 15, 2012 at 9:05:43 am

Hi Dwaine
Right, following a break for the weekend....

I hadn't realized that a 3,1 model was poor performance? It was the bee's knees when we got it to replace a G5! Ah well, another week, another model! It'll all be on iPads next week!

I tried testing with no nodes as you suggested, and it's still having problems. In fact adding nodes didn't really make any difference even with curves and blur. Interestingly when I first loaded the XML (its a 45min set from a rock festival with 500 clips) it ran reasonably. When I hit play it took a second to get up to speed and then stayed there. Adding nodes made no difference.
Then I made all the clips "local grades", set up my grade for the different cameras, saving them as stills in the memory and began to apply them. And now its running slow... averaging 18fps with speed fluctuating like an old cassette tape! That's even on the clips with no nodes!

Settings are 8 bit, bilinear and optimized as you suggest.

The SD footage is ProRes 422 PAL 720x576 Anamorphic, so the timeline is set to: PAL 720x576, 16:9 Anamorphic, 25fps, 32 bit floating point, Davinci YRGB, field processing enabled.

Oh and I do use the internal vectorscope, but toggling it on and off made no difference.

I've also been in touch with PNY who supply the Quadro 4000 card and they drew a blank! We ran a system test with Cinebench which reported:
OpenGL 30.79 fps
CPU 6.95 pts
Which they seemed pleased with.
They also directed me to the latest NVIDIA Cuda driver 5.0.36 for Mountain Lion, which I've installed - it made no difference.

So what's strange here is that FCP6 runs just fine, but Resolve does not!

What should I try next?
Thanks

David Scott,
Senior Editor,
GOD TV (UK)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy