Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Need advice on my set up -not sure which cards to use

COW Forums : DaVinci Basics & Configuration

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Matt StoltzNeed advice on my set up -not sure which cards to use
by on Oct 6, 2012 at 4:36:08 pm

Hi
Ok I have resolve 9 and I just wanted advice on which cards I should use and which configuration-

Keep in mind I use adobe cs6 all the time -I currently have a quadro 4000 running as my main card for cs6 and I have a 8800gt that I used for resolve processing -it does ok -I'm getting about 20fps with the 8800gt on resolve

Now I also have a gtx285 card just sitting.

So for the best results with Adobe and cs6 and for resolve 9 -which configuration would you all use if you had those cards

Quadro 4000
gtx 285
8800gt

Thanks

Matt

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Peter ChamberlainRe: Need advice on my set up -not sure which cards to use
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 1:11:05 am

Hi, use the q4000 for UI and Adobe, GTX285 for Resolve image processing. On a MacPro you may have a power issue. There are other posts that discuss options but one thats cheap is using the spare DVD power cable.
Peter

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

paul schilensRe: Need advice on my set up -not sure which cards to use
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 8:53:04 pm

I spoke with a tech at BM who said that Resolve 9 won't work with the GTX285. I'm currently having the same problem and am trying to find a solution running snow leopard on a MacPro 1,1.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matt StoltzRe: Need advice on my set up -not sure which cards to use
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 10:36:06 pm

Hey Paul
I haven't tried the gtx285 yet with my system -but the 8800gt does work but Resolve does give me a message that says -something about system performance because the 8800gt is not to resolve specs -
My guess is that the gtx285 will work if the 8800gt since they are both supported under OSX -
You may not get peak performance but I bet it will work -
Tech guys just tell u that because they haven't authorized it to work -I'm finding Resolve to e kind of a pain because BM wants you to buy the MOST expensive cards on the market for their software

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph OwensRe: Need advice on my set up -not sure which cards to use
by on Oct 10, 2012 at 2:59:56 pm

[paul schilens] "I spoke with a tech at BM who said that Resolve 9 won't work with the GTX285."

You do realize that Peter is the BMD product manager for Resolve...?

The configuration guide published on their website is the bible, and then there is this forum which is a rich mine of otherwise undocumented experience.

As far as hardware investment is concerned, I'm still pretty happy with what they're recommending and haven't yet been able to spend the $750,000 or so that a daVinci grading solution like 2K+ cost. That didn't have the capabilities of Resolve 9.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]