Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Third nvidia card for XPander?

COW Forums : DaVinci Basics & Configuration

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Joseph OwensThird nvidia card for XPander?
by on Sep 27, 2012 at 10:59:49 pm

I believe there is an upper limit of 3 GPUs available to the Mac version of Resolve, and I have two of macVidCards GTX480's in a Cubix Desktop4 at the moment.

Any thoughts on what a good third card would be to max out my CUDA cores under Snow Leopard 10.6.8?

And I am extremely reluctant if not firmly opposed to trying to move into Mountain LIon. Way too many dongled and/or node-licensed legacy applications to re-install and *hope* will continue to function.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Juan SalvoRe: Third nvidia card for XPander?
by on Sep 28, 2012 at 6:32:06 am

The multiple GPUs in resolve only perform as fast as the slowest card in the set. The weakest link in the chain. Meaning that if you add a GTX580 in your box you'll only see as much of a performance improvement as you would having and additional 480. No faster.

That said better to be future proofing your purchase. Get a GTX580 3GB or a GTX680 4GB (if you're on, or want to be on 10.8) and then replace the 480's down the line for yet another boost in performance.

Or maybe get a pretty good deal on an aftermarket 480?

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph OwensRe: Third nvidia card for XPander?
by on Sep 28, 2012 at 5:26:31 pm

[Juan Salvo] " multiple GPUs in resolve only perform as fast as the slowest card in the set."

Thanks, Juan, that's exactly what my concern was. At this point, I might just order another 480... keep them as a set. Its not like I'm doing a lot of 3D or HDR, but those NR nodes suck a lot of cycles.

I have less than zero desire to move up the Apple iOS chain until I build out a completely new MacPro chassis (hah!). By then there will be more bigger faster CUDA GPUs and the log-rolling contest never ends.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]