Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

gy-hm100u

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Dan Asselingy-hm100u
by on Jan 31, 2011 at 7:58:33 pm

Hi; I am in the process of researching the purchase of a GY-HM100U and as part of that research i downloaded some footage from the JVC Canada website. I love how the camera seems to handle colors and sharpness but any motion at all seems to be a blur. If you look at the front leg of the moose photo here you will see that during even a slow walk the leg is almost a total blur. I would assume that they would only use the best footage possible to sell their cameras so does anyone have an idea what the problem is?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dan AsselinRe: gy-hm100u
by on Jan 31, 2011 at 8:00:15 pm

jvcmoose.jpg

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andy UrtusuasteguiRe: gy-hm100u
by on Feb 2, 2011 at 11:19:29 pm

I have a hm100u. Very nice camera for the size.

It will depend on frame rate and shutter speed.

I have found that the camera performs better at 720p modes.
I shoot 720 60p. I use a shutter of 1/100 or 1/250 and I get sharp movement.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Phil BalsdonRe: gy-hm100u
by on Feb 15, 2011 at 9:19:11 pm

You can't judge a camera's performance properly by footage downloaded from the web. It will be highly compressed and interframes introduced, this will particularly effect the way motion is played back.

I have a friend that uses this camera for corporate work. The results were so good one of his clients had a broadcast tvc made from material he shot.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark PetereitRe: gy-hm100u
by on Jan 31, 2011 at 10:21:03 pm

Would you buy a car based on seeing one commercial on TV?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 31, 2011 at 10:27:22 pm

No but I might NOT buy a car if that commercial showed a problem

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark PetereitRe: gy-hm100u
by on Jan 31, 2011 at 10:36:18 pm

Are you planning to shoot moose outdoors?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeffrey CarterRe: gy-hm100u
by on Feb 4, 2011 at 10:24:14 pm

I've been shooting for over a month with the camera, and haven't noticed any blurring or motion issues. Outside, you'll probably be above a 1/60th shutter because of 1 ND filter setting and everything will be sharp. Indoors, you can get by with a 1/30 shutter. I rate the camera at 100 ASA (pretty low). Depends on what you want to shoot with it.

Here's a real world sample:

and: http://www.youtube.com/user/ateamvideo321?feature=mhum#p/a/u/1/KbhNE620jHc

there's plenty more out there. Philip Bloom does a nice review of the camera. I would stick to 720 30p or 60p, with detail set to OFF.

The zoom and controls leave a lot to be desired, but it has very good quality for shooting for the web. I did a two camera shoot with a HVX200, both at 9db gain, and I think the HM100 looks better - despite the better DVCPRO HD100 codec of the Panasonic.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 5, 2011 at 12:43:19 am

thanks Jeff the input is appreciated

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Charlie CogarRe: gy-hm100u
by on Feb 7, 2011 at 7:27:11 pm

A very nice sample. Thanks.

I just got a 100 and shot some outdoor test footage in a variety of lighting conditions. The results are fine (no blurring).

What brand and size SDHC cards are you using?

Where is the Philip Bloom review?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeffrey CarterRe: gy-hm100u
by on Feb 7, 2011 at 10:38:18 pm

I use 16gb Transcend class 6 cards with no problems, and PNY class 10. The Transcend cards are $26 at B&H! That's cheaper then Betacam Tapes back in the '90's (1 hr @ card = 2 tapes @ $30). At that price you could keep shot footage on the cards and not re-use them.

Better to use 1 hour or less (16gb) cards for ease and speed of downloading and cataloging footage - but that's a workflow issue.

Bloom's review is here: http://philipbloom.net/2009/04/17/review-of-jvc-gy-hm-100/

Happy shooting!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]