Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Nee a render for iPad preset

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jon DoughtieNee a render for iPad preset
by on Jul 15, 2013 at 4:31:58 pm

Forgive me - I really did attempt several searches prior to posting, as well as using Google. No success.

System is Win7 company PC, so we can't just do anything we want on it. Running AE CS6, Quicktime (not Pro) is installed.

My understanding is h.264 is the best codec for the iPad. Correct me if that is wrong.

When we encode h.264, the output will not play on an iPad. No problem on the PC, though. We have also tried MP4 files - same results.

Please note we do not have Media Encoder on this machine, only After Effects.

Any solutions, besides adding Adobe Media Encoder?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ryan HolmesRe: Nee a render for iPad preset
by on Jul 15, 2013 at 9:28:55 pm

There are several options for encoding, but you'll have to install something on your computer. Adobe Media Encoder is the obvious choice since you're already in the Adobe ecosystem.

You can also look at:
Sorenson Squeeze - http://www.sorensonmedia.com/video-encoding/

Telestream Episode - http://www.telestream.net/episode/

MPEG Streamclip (free) - http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-win.html

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd KoprivaRe: Nee a render for iPad preset
by on Jul 16, 2013 at 1:39:55 am

Why don't you have Adobe Media Encoder? It's installed by After Effects. Someone would have had to explicitly set the installer to exclude Adobe Media Encoder.

There's an iPad encoding preset in Adobe Media Encoder.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jon DoughtieRe: Nee a render for iPad preset
by on Jul 16, 2013 at 2:51:30 pm

Believe it or not Todd, it is possible that happened. The joys of engineers and corporate systems. I'll look into it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 16, 2013 at 2:55:28 pm

If you need to make a case to have your IT people install Adobe Media Encoder, you can tell them that we (the After Effects development team) _rely_ on Adobe Media Encoder for many features, so an installation without AME is in our opinion an incomplete installation.

AME has several output formats that After Effects doesn't, and it does a better job with many of the final delivery formats (such as for mobile devices and web video services).

Also, we removed a lot of features from the default state of After Effects CC (12.0) because the equivalent features are better in AME.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jon DoughtieRe: Nee a render for iPad preset
by on Jul 16, 2013 at 3:08:05 pm

Todd, turns out AME was present all along. User is a great AE wiz, just not deep on the suite concept for Adobe products. I just showed him how much faster and easier it is to set up,queue and render deliverables in AME; he was blown away.

Next question: current workflow is render an uncompressed file for archive (this is all TV short-form.)

Is there a workflow to pitch AE comps straight to AME for rendering? Or should we render uncompressed in AE, then use that uncompressed file for other deliverables in AME?

Thanks so much for jumping in on this!

Jon

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ivan MylesRe: Nee a render for iPad preset
by on Jul 16, 2013 at 6:37:51 pm

[Jon Doughtie] "Is there a workflow to pitch AE comps straight to AME for rendering?
Open AME, add the AE composition to the queue, and click the orange text under "Format" or "Preset" to set the export parameters.

[Jon Doughtie] "Or should we render uncompressed in AE, then use that uncompressed file for other deliverables in AME?"
AME can encode directly from the AE project without an uncompressed file. However, if you are encoding multiple copies at different export settings, it might be quicker to generate an intermediate file and transcode several versions rather than re-rendering each time.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Jul 16, 2013 at 6:52:29 pm

I do what Ivan describes in his second suggestion:

I have the After Effects render queue create a losslessly encoded master file, which goes into a watch folder, from which it is automatically picked up by AME and encoded into my various delivery formats.

http://helpx.adobe.com/media-encoder/using/add-items-encoding-queue.html

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]